Celestial motes

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by GrouchyMouse, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Everdog Member

It costs you 100 motes to create a portal to AotG and the portal is bugged.
    The same bug you often face with when you came back to GH from ToFS after you used the Mirror to ToFS.
  2. Caith Developer

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at it.
  3. Avianna Well-Known Member

I would love to see motes drop from more than raid encounters, the recipes are available to all crafters the materials should be as well. So any 95 mob should have a chance to drop a mote or 10
  4. Chronus Active Member

Disagree because the motes make the best food/drink, arrows, potions etc in the entire game. They drop from relatively easy mobs (we literally killed one of the avatars with a raid of 22 alts and 1 main today) but at least have some sort of capped rate of entry into the game, allowing them to be used for rare use consumables. Make every mob drop them and they should only really be used for handcrafted stuff imo.

It would be nice if either more than 100 dropped per arena or if the recipes made more items per mote (an entire drop's worth to get a ranger one raid's worth of arrows etc) but making them off of anything would be a mistake imo. The only mobs I'd be ok with them being added to would be contested avatars.
  5. Mindsway Well-Known Member

I'd have no problem with HM bosses dropping them too but I'd prefer they just adjust the yield to more sensible amounts.
  6. Daalilama Well-Known Member

They could always add them as drops from other arena of the gods avatars after you get the loot chest...i.e maybe 25 motes will drop on every additional instanced avatar pulled and killed on that zone timer....but yeah just simply increasing the rate of return per combine would be the best solution.
  7. Daray Well-Known Member

Really, the only issue I have is with the cost of the potions (5 per) - everything else really isn't that bad.

Granted, as a guild, we run 2 instances of the arena per lockout cycle and with the approx 50/50 Bristlebane spawn rate we see, that is 600 motes a week (on average). That is enough to cover food/drink/ammo for everyone for the 4 raids a week we have, but the potions themselves are just too costly to justify making too many.
  8. Twyxx Well-Known Member

Basing the returns on guilds reforming to run the arena again on alts each time is ridiculous.
    Mermut and Mindsway like this.
  9. Alenna Well-Known Member

I take it you don't have any rangers. Rangers are arrow based damage and the 50 per celestila mote is not going to do it for our raid we have 2 or 3 rangers.
  10. Prrasha Well-Known Member

There's far too many folks in this game (players and devs) who think "thou shalt not have the best item of its class unless thou dost raid." If a raid could fully outfit itself with celestial stuff in one run, then the alt'ing guilds would be selling the motes to the peons, and the usual suspects would be kvetching about how overpowered crafted items were instead of kvetching about how there's not enough of them. SoE literally can't win, here.

I do, personally, feel for the folks who now have to do tedious inventory-management to preserve these items for when they're needed (put cheap arrows in the top half of your quiver for trash, take them back out so you use celestials on the Named...) On the other hand, I find some sweet, sweet schadenfreude in watching the folks who scream "entitlement!" about everything else now not having enough of what they're "entitled" to.

It's been a theme for the last year or so though... phantom content. New recipes for everyone! ...but the materials are only for raiders, so not really. New tradeskill prestige abilities! ...but new recipes are balanced so they're required steps now, so not really. (Or if the recipes are good enough, make all the new tradeskill effects unusable on them.) New abilities on your items! ...but none of the effects stack, so not really. (Or if they do, you hit the cap so hard it flattens your helmet.)
  11. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Actually that has NOT be the philosophy for a while, Prrasha. Red slot items dropping in solo instances, mythical weapons dropping in heroic instances, the prevalence of SLR gear, even Steward's stuff have been beefed up so that anyone who gears themselves out with it can easily jump into EM raiding (and in some of the easier HM fights, depending on class) and then progress from there. What it requires is you spend the time it takes to get this rewards. You can't just log in and craft a the best gear in game, you gotta earn it. And they've been great about giving us more and more alternate ways of getting good gear without having to raid hardcore to get it. This sense of entitlement you speak of strikes me as a serious case of projection.

Yes the most challenging content in game SHOULD have the best rewards, but they've been trending towards giving more and more for non-raiders for some time now. Besides, the items made by Celestial Motes are hardly game-changing. They're a minor upgrade at best to food, drink, potions, and ammo that anyone can get right now. These are items that are used in bulk and their yields make them grossly inefficient to bother.
  12. Daray Well-Known Member

People are selling motes on my server, so I made enough food/drink/potions to last me a good while (granted the current 40-50p each isn't exactly cheap). The ready-made food/drink/potions/ammo are starting to be listed too.

Seems someone out there is getting more motes than they know what to do with ...
  13. Alenna Well-Known Member

40-50p that is cheaper then on my server
  14. Twyxx Well-Known Member

Yes, botters. They'd rather have your 50 plat than the minor potion upgrades for their group. I know you're not this naive. You're looking in your bags and seeing that you have everything you need because you run alts thru arena, think it's reasonable to spend 200-250pp per potion and have no need to buy ammo. Don't understand how you're so disconnected on this issue.
    Alenna likes this.
  15. Daray Well-Known Member

I stated earlier that the potions are out of line with the other consumables in mote cost. As far as everything else, it really depends what the devs were looking to achieve with this. In other words, if the devs wanted an abundance of these consumables in-game, then yes, the cost and/or drop rate would need to be looked at. If the goal was to make these items somewhat uncommon, and not for continual every-day use, then they have achieved that.

I suspect the latter was the intention, but I'm sure the weight of player opinion could change that if enough people complain.
  16. Twyxx Well-Known Member

And that would be fine...if they were a larger upgrade. Putting in small upgrades that are barely impactful and making them far more limited than the previous ones isn't anything but annoying.

What is the point of making them that uncommon? It's not so there is incentive to run the arena more often. There's a lockout. And Bristlebane cloaks already provide enough incentive. Is it so we have to micro-manage inventory and juggle potions/food/drink and ammo so we make sure to only use them on harder fights where the tiny upgrade might possibly make an impact? Who is that fun for?

I just don't get the thought process behind the way it's set up.
    Mermut, Daalilama and Kuulei like this.
  17. Prrasha Well-Known Member

Of those, "drop-anywhere mythicals" is the only example of possibly-best-in-slot available to non-raiders. SLR is a counter-example to your own argument, actually; if SoE wanted those items freely tradable, they wouldn't tag them the opposite way.
    The forum search function plus the word "entitlement" makes that statement untrue. 8 pages of results, though 15-20% are folks like me decrying the folks decrying "the entitlement crowd". ;) (Myself, I've bought loot rights exactly once, to an item from a zone I could complete but never had luck-of-the-drop with. That was a Runnyeye2 cloak, back in the day. So I'm pretty much the opposite of "the entitlement crowd". But thanks for the armchair psychology, anyway.)
  18. mmmhmmm New Member

I believe Twyxx, he seems REALLY connected to botter issue.
  19. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Then you don't understand my point. It's another way for those that don't want to raid to be able to get raid quality loot. Also, if SOE didn't want SLR to happen they could just change it so that only those who were present for the kill could loot the chest.

You don't understand what I meant there either. I'm saying you're complaining about the best loot going to hardcore raiders, which sounds like you feel you're somehow entitled to loot just as good by doing, what, exactly? Crafting dailies? Expecting to get the best loot by defeating the hardest encounters isn't entitlement. It's rational.

Be thankful for the alternatives you're getting instead of being jealous of players that are better at this game than you are.
  20. Prrasha Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

...that pretty much covers it.

(If it doesn't, (a) you responded to "best-in-slot loot only goes to raiders" with "some raid loot goes to non-raiders" as though that was a refutation. (b) you seem to think that I believe raid-quality loot should go to non-raiders, and I don't. (c) "better at the game than I am"... like I give a fig. Yes, your e-dingus is much longer than mine. grats.)