CB to Pot to Fervor (plus others) Conversion - Math Wiz Needed

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Hest01, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Hest01 Member

As the player base has diminished (no I am not saying EQ2 is dead or even close) the ease of obtaining clear baselines for stats and other aspects of the game has diminished somewhat.

Like it used to be great that players kept a BIS for each class and would list top 5 items for each slot and where to obtain them. No more...up to allot more guess work.

I am NOT a math person... I do know that allot of this is best guess around game theory / mechanics but really not looking for an exact number ..just rough.

I have seen previously posted that 1 Fervor = 50 CB = 150 Pot... No idea if that is even close?

Also, there is something about the way CB vs Pot calculations that devalue Pot to a degree if Ability mob does not cover the additional Pot (if that makes sense?).

Basically if your 1/2 value of a CA goes up to 1000 because of an increase in Pot, but you only have 400 ability mod...something goes into the calculation that basically comes out ot weighting CB above Pot to an extent unless you have the ability mod to cover the increase.

Since the CA changes I am not really taking into account auto atk so throwing out the cb affects auto and CA vs pot only covers CA.

Basically looking for help making gear choices... Either here or if someone has a spreadsheet they can share?
  2. Nkito Well-Known Member

You can't really put flat values on them because it will be much different for various builds and stat levels people are experiencing. Mages will have different values than scouts due to higher cb levels and everyone's values will change as their potency climbs.

But 1-50-150 is a ballpark for lots of people.
  3. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Well bear in mind that CB have cap and POT/AMOD not, fervor capped too
    Here is rough estimation (very subjective)
    While you far from CB cap (under 2k) about 144CB will equate 403POT so sort of 1:3 correct number :)
    But bear in mind relative numbers if you are at 4k POT getting extra 400 over 133CB would probably reasonably good idea but if you are at 8k Pot getting 133CB over 400PoT no brain (as long as you are under the cap)
  4. Regolas Well-Known Member

Fervor gives a straight 1% increase in dps/heals/etc so scales better than the other two. The higher your cb and pot, the less the increases to those stats make, whereas fervor will always remain the same.

150 pot increase on 4k pot is 4.375% increase of pot. 150 pot on 8k is 2.2% increase. 1 fervor on 4k is the equivalent of 40 pot, or 80 pot on 8k, but it's also 1% increase in cb, ab mod, crit chance and autoattack.
  5. Yahku Active Member

That is not correct. 1% Potency also gives you 1% on your BASE spells, no matter how much you already have. But 1% more for 8000 is a rather small change to your DPS, but the same would be the case for Fervor if you have 8000. Of course, fervor scales better because of the rather low fervor values and the effects of fervor to Procs and autoattack.

As stated before, you cannot say whats best in general. But i, too, try to give you a few thumb rules/advices:

• Try to get as many Fervor as possible, right now the cap is not reachable (without shorttime procs like on some ethereals/mythicals). Usually there is no choice for Fervor instead of other stats, so should be rather straightforward here.
    • Try to reach the CB hardcap (3.000) which is possible especially if you infuse a lot and have acess to raidloot. As long as you have not reached that, focus on that with infusers/adornments/AA. The 1:3 stated by DoomDrake is a good thumrule for coinciding effects with common stat distributions right now. Most equip makes choice easy, like 800 pot <--> 150 CB clearly is the potency choice at the moment.
    • Ability mod highly depends on class/builds. Keep in mind that ability mod has a multiplier which is rather complicated, especially depending on casting time. My strongest Combat Art (Boneshattering Combination) for example suffers a factor of 1/6, so for 60.000 Mod, damage goes up for only 10k. Best is to figure it out with two equipment pieces trading potency for mod and inspecting the spells.
  6. Entropy Well-Known Member

I'm on vacation right now, but will be home tomorrow night. I have a nifty spreadsheet that you can plug stuff into to compare relative gains. I'll upload it to some file share site when I'm back at my computer.
  7. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Spreadsheets are for work, not games.
  8. Ixian Active Member

Games are driven by math. Whether or not you choose to engage with that math on a deeper level is up to you, but it's always there.
  9. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

IF the Devs made how things work public, I could see your point.

But there is so much misinformation and hidden mechanics, that are only derived by some players through anecdotal testing.
  10. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

You mean like this one? http://eq2library.com/guides/stats-breakdown/

And to be honest the rest is dummy parsing, or as a direct percentage will always grow consistently when influenced by multiple players/groups. The gear/adorns specs, AA, and some cast orders are already out there. The only real research you have to do anymore is actually not as in depth as you make it.
  11. Nkito Well-Known Member

Until the game automatically equips and reforges all the best stuff for me and automatically puts my spells in order of efficiency on my hotbars and flashes my temps when its the best time to use them it's going to be too much like work.

This seems a more popular perspective than I ever remember.

For a lot of people testing and figuring this stuff out (optimizing) IS the fun part.
  12. Entropy Well-Known Member

The formula for Final Ability Damage doesn't require any guessing. All of the calculations are straightforward. That's all you need to satisfy the OPs request. Figuring out mitigation curves is something else...
  13. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Not really, because it isn't what Final Ability Damage does, it's how to compare 2 pieces that have 8 numbers on them.

It's basically 2 equations with 8 (unknown) weighted values and which of the 2 equations yields a higher amount overall. Then do that in less than 30 seconds so you know whether to hit need/greed. That's why the OP wants some kind of scale to have to shortcut the method.
  14. Fletch Active Member

For most classes it comes down to 3 or 4 stats taking priority over all others so you can spend 5 min figuring out equivalencies before you group to give you an idea of what to need on.
  15. Entropy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you keep saying the values are unknown. I gauranteed you that the formula for how Main Stat, CB, POT, AMOD, and Fervor combine is precisely known. I didn't have time to get the spreadsheet cleaned up and posted last night. I'll do it tonight. Just because YOU didn't take the time to learn some basic combat engine math doesn't mean that the rest of us are wallowing in ignorance.
    Terrius and Mermut like this.
  16. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

Attempting to min/max will not solve the ultimate gear problem he is dealing with. Until he switches to the HP gear he will always be in search of a top notch shaman. One step at a time.
  17. Mermut Well-Known Member

Nobody I know runs with full max hp gear... and I've solo healed all zones on my warden. There is no need for people to sacrifice useful stats for more hitpoint for most fights.
  18. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

From a healer standpoint I would say that I can agree with that. For a tank receiving the auto attack and pulse you will want the HP stuff. 2.2 mil hp is insanely low for a tank.
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

The old mit vs hitpoint debate for tanks.. it's a hard balance.
  20. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

I will say I have gone from a guardian with 36k mit/ 3.5 - 4mil hps to a monk with 23k mit/6.1 - 7mil. I originally doubted this change but it stands true that everything became significantly easier with more HPs. I run guild groups so my group setup has not changed and they have flat out told me that I am wayyy easier to heal not to mention having additional time I can hold on stoneskins/temps. It has been noticeable in raid also. Both had capped block chance and uncontested as well.