Fixed Internally Catalogue Creature aggroing mobs

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Chikkin, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Chikkin Well-Known Member

Did Catalogue Creature ability acquire a taunt or something?
    I'm doing a Firmroot Moot Meet quest in Moors of Ykesha, which has you go around a catalogue different critters and NPCs and the spell randomly aggroes the mobs. I'm doing this as level 90 and tried again on a 120 alt and it happens also. Problem is the gray mobs are attacking me, killing themselves on my druid thorns, but I just wanted to catalogue them, not kill.
    It seems totally random for both characters, sometimes it's "a monkey" "an innothule glider" but not another innothule glider next to it, Troll Guard and Froglok Guard at Firmroot also died.
  2. Taled Well-Known Member

This has been a long time issue - Catalogue can trigger procs/etc, so if you have *anything* that can proc while cataloguing, you may get aggro.

That said, it doesn't *hurt* anything to aggro the mobs when cataloguing.... Usually. (Other than the mob, anyway)
  3. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Yeah it's been like this for more than a decade now.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

If you have Infusion up try taking that off.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Chikkin like this.
  5. Chikkin Well-Known Member

Wow, been playing for years and literally just noticed that, doing some old quest on lvl 120 toon, so maybe the infusions are the problem? The obvious solution should be to take off any triggers from Catalogue Creature ability. Other than aggroing a conning mob by getting to close to a normally aggro mob, there is no reason this ability should trigger anything.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

I'll admit its been a little while since I did any catalog quests (2-3 years) but I do not remember it ever causing agro. That should definitely not be happening.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Daryx like this.
  7. Daryx Well-Known Member

I've done all the tradeskill catalog quests (and quite a few of the adventuring ones) umpteen times, several times every year since 2005, and it's only been in the past year or so that I've ever had any mobs aggro. This has also happened with channeler's sight (which I reported in a bug with no reply),and though I haven't tried I imagine it probably happens with beastlord's sight as well. Every time it happens I check my log, and NOTHING procs that attacks the mob. Like the OP I have just had it happen in the Moors catalog quests.

It's not even consistent which mobs or characters. I'm currently doing the Moors on 4 characters, and so far it's aggro'd the troll and froglok guards on a dirge and a wizard, neither on a necromancer, and the troll guard on a ranger. And in Moors if the mob attacks you and then dies on hitting you because of something that reacts to damage, then you lose faction. So it's not acceptable.

I can't even imagine if I happened to be a low-level adventuring character and getting one-shotted by mobs that shouldn't be attacking me because I looked cross-eyed at them. Maybe it has to do with high level because I did a 35 necromancer and a 15 conjuror on those quests late in October 2020 and neither had an issue. All the ones I'm working on now are 120 levels.

It definitely has changed and this needs to be addressed. The catalog ability you get for Chaos Descending tradeskill line does the same thing with mobs that are non-aggro (or aggro ones that are well out of normal aggro range). And nothing is proc'ing to pull them.
  8. Taled Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain that this is caused by Catalogue Creature being able to doublecast, but I can't 100% guarantee it since I can't drop everything *but* doublecast.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

On my toons with the Destruction red rune set, I have had it proc when casting Catalog Creature, frying the targeted thing. Also, warlocks (for example) have a number of self-buffs that can cause nox damage on a cast. Doing a quest such as Familiars Wild requires me to change into my crafting gear or go naked and unweaponed.

Usually when I have caught aggro while cataloging, tho, it's been because I simply got too close /shrug.
    Twyla and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

This has been up for more than a year and a quarter now, and while I understood Denmum's comment re: it on her Traders website for the Panda x3 summer thing, that they were up to their armpits with expac crunch priorities, hasn't that calmed down by now? :-/

Uwk
    who's also had a high-level toon (120 Wizard) had it proc occasionally :-/
  11. Taled Well-Known Member

It was *supposed* to be fixed with the expac launch, IIRC, but I don't know whether it actually was or not - I honestly can't recall whether any mobs have randomly aggroed when I used it in the handful of quests that require it in Ro.
  12. Denmum Developer

It requires a solid chunk of time to fix the underlying code, so it was pushed back to "after RoR launch" as the person who needs to tackle it has an overflowing plate. There's a ticket out for it to be fixed, but no ETA at this time.
  13. Miragian Well-Known Member

This only started doing this fairly recently (only really noticed with the Panda, Panda quest) consider it a fix for the cant' agro grey mobs for familar wild!.
  14. Telepath Active Member

I kind of hope it doesn't get fixed since it is the only way to agro mobs without damaging them to complete some of the familiars wild quests.
  15. Chikkin Well-Known Member

Many of your spells or abilities that does not do damage will aggro a mob. Some people use taunt, root, snare, smite of consistency (remember that lever 1 or 2 spell?) or any of your lowbie versions of whatever dps ability you have.

Catalogue creature isn't the only one, it's not even consistently aggroing whatever you try to catalogue.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's one of the things that's aggravating people: no consistency. :-/

Uwk
  17. Nunja Well-Known Member

This is still happening and not fixed!
  18. Denmum Developer

I am aware. He still has a ton on his plate, so it is still pending.
  19. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Try dropping your familiar and see if it helps
  20. Nunja Well-Known Member

Still a issue. Did this on my conjy and mobs still aggro when cataloging. Did Takish catalog quest on Monday 5/29/23.