[Carpenter] A good tradeskill to choose ATM?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Flately, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Flately Guest

Ok I am returning after a very long break, I played late 2004/early 2005. I tried to search and haven't seen alot of recent information about the Carpenter.
    I have already decided what race/class to play and I have an idea of a tradeskill, but just wanted to get some feedback on my choice.
    Will I be able to make the money to support my character as I level him? [like buy upgraded spells/gear]
    Any tips or tricks? [for makeing cash and novelty items]
    Is it difficult to level?
  2. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Foomanshoe@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Carpenters do not make much plat (overall). If you like to decorate they will save you huge amounts of time and plat.

There is no right answer since it is based on the server market. Every server will be different.
  3. ARCHIVED-Eveningsong Guest

Carpenters can certainly make a fair amount of plat, but you'll find sales slow until you hit the higher levels when the nicer furnishings are available. The special faction/racial items especially can sell well, but markets come and go, and there is always going to be competition. It really depends on what you enjoy doing, and what the market is like on your server. I sell well on my carpenter personally, but there are some items I'll never make to sell, because too many people are selling them. I try to find things that are not already being flooded on the market, different or unusual items, things that are always in demand for decorating. Sales are not consistent - some days I sell 1 or 2 items, some days I sell 50 (you can always tell when someone is decorating a new house or guild hall lol). But there are undoubtedly other crafts that might sell more consistently or for higher amounts over all. Its really more important to me to do something that I can have fun with other than just earning plat (adventurers and harvesters will probably always make more than crafters in general anyways).
  4. ARCHIVED-Flately Guest

Eveningsong wrote:
    That's the reason that I am leaning toward Carpentry is the overall enjoyment. I am just hoping that I can make enough to keep my character decently geared and with decent level skills.
    Edit: Oh yea I am the same person that posted under Flately.
  5. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Foomanshoe@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Harvesting and selling the mats (rares and normal) will bring in decent plat.
    level lock a character at a low level (like 3) and farm lvl 1 mobs for adept I spells. Sell these on the broker for a few gold each.
  6. ARCHIVED-Troubor Guest

My answer to this question, regardless of the tradeskill asked about is pick one you like. All of them have some potential (yes, even weaponsmiths ;) The whetstones, especially the RoK ones can make decent coin at least for me when I do want to make a bunch to sell. ) to make good coin. But if you dislike said tradeskill, you're not nearly as likely to level it to the point where you can make money doing it. So, pick what is fun in your mind first IMO.
  7. ARCHIVED-Tygerpaws Guest

Troubor wrote:
    This. I'm a carp and I enjoy it. ( Of course, I'm a goofy RPer and love cluttering up my house with furniture. :) ) I don't make a lot of money off of it, but I'm not poor. Most of my money doesn't come from crafting no matter which trade I pick, though.
  8. ARCHIVED-Thunndar316 Guest

As others have said you can make money as a Carpenter. Storage Boxes sell very well but you need to be able to make the best ones and their around level 75. The Grobb stuff sells a lot on my server and I make good money on those.
    Just be prepared to do tons and tons of rush order writs. You will have to grind your way up with no vitality because Carpenters don't get very many itms recipes, thus we get much less pristine bonuses than a Sage, Jeweler, or Alchemist. I recommend making everything you can at least once, including all the rares.