Capping CB or More Potency?

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Regolas, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Regolas Well-Known Member

What should I pick?

Since GU100 there's a lot of high potency pieces but they replace a lot of "reasonably high" crit bonus pieces for me.

I know the basic maths is having CB and pot closer in values gives max returns, but I'm now, in a group setting, moving further away from capped CB (that I was achieving prior to GU100) but my potency is greater.

So the question is :

- should I pick a 400 pot wrist over a 110cb wrist?
    - should I pick a 400-600 pot ear over a 60cb (in group) ear?

Part of me says it's a no brainer, but I'm hating seeing my crit bonus lower all the time!
  2. Jrel Well-Known Member

You may not like using damage spreadsheets, but I do. According to mine, the 400 pot wrist will do 18 million for me while the 110 CB would do 12 million for me on a 400 mill dps fight. For me, it would have to have 152 CB for it outweigh the 400 pot.

The 60 CB would only give me 7.2 million more dps, but how much is it worth to the others in group? Is it more? Is it less? Is the 18.2 to 27.4 million personal dps worth the 60 CB the rest of the group would be getting? Is the proc a group proc -- which causes lag, or a static effect? Things you might weigh in consideration, but consider this, what about high potency if you were a healer? I think you'd gladly wear 400-600 potency personally instead of a 60 CB group effect. I would just allow everyone to wear the high potency items as they get them unless it is some encounter that a different effect would be more useful, of course. And also ensure they keep high resolve items for resolve requirements since DBG gleefully put high potency on low resolve items.

The high potency items were made to get away from the group procs. The high potency of one item "accounts for" the loss of group bonuses. Although what they really should have done is just take the average of a group proc, make it a static effect on all previous TOT proccing items, and call it day -- rather than these high amounts which are highly beneficial to classes with 12 pot to 1 pot/cb conversions.
    Azian, Karsa and Regolas like this.
  3. Vogie Active Member

I've struggled with this as well. On my swash it seems increasing Pot over Cb shows more gains then doing the same on my Beastlord. I'm guessing the Swash is due to poison damage with the added Potency but with the Beastlord I've tried all sorts of combinations of 140k+ ab mod with gobs of pot and lower Cb(1750-1800) and I seem to get better results with higher CB, lower AB mod(110k) and a bit lower pot.
  4. Nkito Well-Known Member

Really depends what stats you are sitting at currently. If you're at 1800 cb and 7400 pot I'd take the 110 cb over 400 more pot, etc. As cb approaches the cap (and gets closer to pot) its relative value decreases.
    Vogie likes this.
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I've replaced my uplifting cb ear (about 60cb in group inc base) with the RoV 800+ pot ear, the yothshaval chains wrist 60cb/pot to me +30 to group) with some 400 pot wrist I had and my uplifting power ring for an 800 pot ring that dropped in SK today.

Will see what it does. I've basically gained 2k pot but lost 150cb ish.
    Karsa likes this.
  6. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Worth it... When it comes to raiding zek though watch your resolve, make sure your not sacrificing too much for that potency.