Can't play, crashes

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Vumad, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Vumad New Member

I recently returned to EQ1. I never tried EQ2 because of the extra subscription. I figured I would try it now that All Access is a thing.

I can't however. The game crashes every time I try to play it. I can usually get through character creation without a problem. The game however crashes almost immediately. Once I was able to get in just a few minutes, but it crashed.

I assume it is probably a DX thing but I'm not very familiar with DX anymore since I have been on console the last few years. My new computer is as follows...

CPU 8700k
    MOBO z370 ftw
    Ram 8gb 2x4 DDR4 2400
    Vid GTX 1060 6gb
    Storage HDD with Optane
    OS Win10

I let the install do its thing, without anti virus. No problems on EQ (except loot bug crash and some bug with the origin AA I reported yesterday)

Thank you.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. William Roy New Member

I am having problems with the launcher it comes up then shuts down. Was working this morning
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There is currently a backend bug (it's been a problem all weekend) that the devs are actively working to fix. It does seem to be intermittent, so you might keep trying to login. From what I've seen the red names say, they may have a bugfix tomorrow.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Vumad New Member

No, this problem has been the case for me every time I have tried to log in for 2 months. I just checked it again and it still does it.

I am on a boat. It's choppy, like smooth then hangs up for a half second and this happens every 2-3 seconds. I just ran down the ramp onto the deck, I was in the world about 60-90 seconds. Then the game shut off. No error codes or anything given. Crashed just like when I get the loot bug on EQ1. Game closes and that is it.
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Vumad New Member

Okay, since I posted here I spent a little more time thinking about the problem. Admittedly, I just launched EQ1 as soon as EQ2 crashed previously. I apologize for asking a question with such a simple fix. I haven't gamed on a PC in about 7 years. I had tried google searching and didn't see anything about EQ2 crashing.

Anyway, I right clicked on EQ2 on the desktop and selected "troubleshoot compatibility". I followed the steps and the game ran less choppy and didn't crash after about 5 minutes and the first 2 little quests worked. I think the problem is resolved. It ran in Windows 8 mode. I don't have time to test it longer right now but I will report back at a later time when I get a chance to play it.

Thank you.
    Soara2 and Sigrdrifa like this.
  6. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

also make sure you have dx 9c installed, it wont function properly without it
    Soara2, Rhodris and Breanna like this.
  7. NiteFaze New Member

Yesterday for the first time I received this Error.
    " live\eq2\framwork\core\devices\directx9 renderdevice.cpp error "
    Causing the game to crash as the game world was being rendered. I can get into character select just fine, but none of my characters could get past this crash. After reading about this same DirectX error from 2012, someone posted that it was caused by selecting too many recipe filters. So on a whim, I found the recipe filter file in the main EQ folder, deleted it, did a file verify with the launcher, checked my GPU drivers were up to date and my game launched flawlessly without error. I have no idea if this fixed it, but i do know that i've been unable to log into the game because of this crash for the last 24 hours until I just tried this and thought i'd share it.
    Soara2 and Rhodris like this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I don't know about "too many filters", but if you have a bad line in the recipe filter file, it will gak the whole interface when you log in.

I have a curated tradeskill filter list that definitely does not crash EQ2 over on EQ2Interface.com
    Soara2 and Rosyposy like this.
  9. Vumad New Member

Before the game would just crash. Today I actually got an error code...

EverQuest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown.

<verify> G:\live\eq2\framework\render\DDTSTexture.cpp (235):
    !*Unknown DDS texture flags*
    0164d6ce0164c4c4

The crazy thing is I can keep playing the game if I don't acknowledge the window...
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

A texture message usually means you have a corrupted file somewhere. Have you tried starting the Launchpad and clicking Advanced Tools (crossed hammer and wrench icon) then asking it to Validate Files?

You're probably gonna have to submit a support ticket if Validating doesn't help.
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Zehl_IceFire Member

Yikes.. I just got a brand new gaming laptop, Dell G7, I figured it was a fluke that my prev 2011 dell laptop stopped running EQ2 around 2013. What a disappointment. I have Dx 12. Fresh install, I have hardly installed anything else yet on this laptop (windows fully updated). I tried 3 times now, after being logged in about 30 seconds it freezes & crashes fully to desktop (about what my ancient comp was doing) and it's not even saving my login.
    16 GB ram
    graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
    processor: 2.2 g Intel 8th Generation Core i7

Is there a secret thing I'm missing or just redic things not working?

If I submit a ticket, I doubt it will ever be answered, I'm not subbing if it's not working.
    Soara2 likes this.
  12. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

EQ2 specifically needs DX9c to run. It will give all sorts of problems if it's not there. You need to download DX9c and ensure it is in the same folder as your current DX version - it will sit happily alongside 12 without causing any problems. If you do a search in the Player Support forum, you will find many threads discussing the same thing, including detailed instructions on where to place DX9c and a link to download it from.
    Dude, Soara2, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  13. Zehl_IceFire Member

Thanks, this last login it seems to not be crashing. But I'll try DX9c if it crashes again. Nothing ever worked on my Win 7 laptop, I'm sure I tried different DX versions to no avail but I'll try that if I need.
    Soara2 likes this.
  14. Zehl_IceFire Member

It is still not saving my login info though. I def checked the box every time.
    Soara2 likes this.
  15. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Fingers crossed for you!
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.