Can't Launch EQ2 in Win 8

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Tarvos, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Tarvos New Member

Greetings all,

I just purchased a new Lenovo Win 8 pro computer. I installed EQ 2 from the disc's for Sentinel's Fate and I can not get the game to launch, I have tried launching it fro the icon on the desktop (starts station launcher and gives the message "error disconnected from server"). I tried installing EQ 2 Maps and starting it fro there (starts Launchpad (v1.75) and gives the error "Network Error the server is not responding please check your connections and try again later") I know I have a good internet connection. I have tried shutting the windows firewall off (no help), and I have tried shutting my anti-virus software off (no help), I have also make an exclusion for the launcher in the anti-virus software and it didn't make a difference.

At this point I am really just out of options, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to get back into the game and play.

The computer is as follows:

Lenovo Ideacentere K410
    Wimdows 8 Pro 64 bit
    1 TB HD
    6 GB ram
    Intel I3
    on board video
    on board sound

I have all the expansions registered to my account ( I previously ran EQ 2 on a Win 7 64 system with no problems).

Thanks for any help.
  2. Eneria Ap'Amber New Member

My partner had a similar problem. He bought the Win8 Pro and installed it over Win 7 Pro ... and Everquest 2 was not able to get past the Launch Pad screen.... After spending 3 days on it working different possibilities ... he was fed up to the point of doing a fresh install of Win 7 Pro-64 ... and then launching EQ2... back in the world again he is! I believe the Win 8 drive is going to be wiped... due to other issues. Btw ... It has the same problem with Star Wars The Old Republic. Good luck to you. I'll be checking back to see if you get a usable work around.
  3. Tarvos New Member

Thanks for the reply. The big difference I see here is that mine is a fresh Win 8 Pro (from the factory) as opposed to what you described. Either way I will keep trying to find a way to make this work.
  4. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

The launcher that installs from the SF discs is probably the old launcher that they stopped using. While I thought the program would automatically update to the new launcher, this could be the root of the issue. I would suggest uninstalling the disc version, and downloading the game through the new launcher.

You can get the streaming version or the full version here : http://soe-ing.custhelp.com/app/ans...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM1NzU4MjM1OC9zaWQvbkJBNmhKZmw=
  5. Vailene Member

I'm running Windows 8 Professional and tri-box on the machine. (So,I have 3 everquest 2 installs) and they all work flawlessly. However, this is depended upon a few things. Windows 8 Professional has compatibility issues with even compatible programs through the upgrade.

1.) You need to do the Refresh your PC option in settings. This will uninstall ALL programs from your machine but not affect your files.

2.) Use the new launcher from SOE. The expansions are tied into your account, it doesn't matter if you have the disc or install from it. Besides, the installation files from that disc are out of date.

If you do these 2 things and still have issues, PM me personally and I'll get you up and running in no time. :)

Good luck.
  6. Tarvos New Member

Thanks to both of you, I did remove the old version and install the streaming client and it works great. So I am back in Norath and ready to kill some beasties.
    Vailene likes this.