Can we still do our job? (No rants here, pls)

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Jay42, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Zholain Guest

OK. After a couple raids this weekend, I think I have a better feel for the changes than in my previous post.
    OK. Back to the parry thing. It's rediculous. If SOE intends for us to be a melee class, then don't give us 11 or so bow attacks and 4 pathetically weak frontal melee attacks. Bow attacks should have the same block/parry rate as melee attacks. But when I look at the larger picture, I see SOE changing the basic mechanics of combat. The raid targets we were fighting this past weekend were 64 and up epic mobs. Most of the mobs I've fought in KoS are 64 and 65 ^^'s and ^^^'s. The KoS heroics parry more than DoF epics. Also, it appears as if buffs/debuffs actually mean a lot more in KoS.

One thing that does bother me. It takes a LOT for me to draw agro now. Granted, I have Primal Agility Ad 3 up all the time. But the only time I have been able to draw agro is when all CA's were up, I used Sniper Shot Ad 3 shortly after the pull without using any other de-agro abilities. In my opinion this is not balanced. Yes, SOE could take this to mean that we need our de-agro skills to negate less hate. I hope that is not how they will interpret it however. The answer in my opinion is about 15 - 20% more dps.

After realizing some of these things, I had much more fun playing this past weekend than I had the prior week. But we still need something done about general dps. I'm not even sure an increase in base damage of our CA's would help all that much considering how much our shots get blocked/parried. I wish I could snap my fingers and be level 65 for about an hour. Perhaps then I could get an even better feel for how difficult heroic KoS mobs really are.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mirdo Guest

Zholain,
    The apparent disparity between ability to DPS in groups (not so good) and raids (not bad) in your experience is interesting.
    Do you think the main difference in damage output was the debuffs applied to the raid mobs?
    How does stream perform for you in the two different situations?
    Mirdo.
  3. ARCHIVED-Dark_Sun Guest

regarding dps.

i have been parsing our grp in Awakening Palace yesterday, and the day before.

as a swashi 54-55 i did around 400-500 dps on most mobs (grp of 2-3). Rangers in our grp did around 200-600, but mostly average was 350+. I noticed dps is very unstable, it varies a lot, maybe its better on single encounters, i dont know. But i do know that rangers should do a lot more dps than me, since i as swashi at least have some utility that you dont have.

I still consider its a good dps, but im sure that you supposed to be better. Maybe that will change when we all get used to KOS, and get our AA lines to the top. But i do hope you will get some love and get fixed.
  4. ARCHIVED-Steezity Guest

Was harvesting around in Barren Sky today, killin a few mobs between nodes... pulling without too much difficulty, i was taking out groups with trap and having no probs goin toe to toe with these lvl 63 lizards.. (solo encounters, im a 62 fairly decked out in raid fabled n stoofs... i shouldnt have a problem with these after all aye?)
    So i kill about 10 encounters without going below 80% health, which is different, cause prenerf we didnt get touched...(and granted this is about where it should be, a yellow arrow down takin me to about 80% at most) All of a sudden, the 11th pull decides that his race has had enough, and immediately resists culling, leg shot, and noose. I cheap shot, duck behind and longshank into ranger blade, which is parried or whatever. He turns around, and i point blank him, which is interrupted. Cast again, and it hits. Down to 50%... mob at about 90% still..(dmg on leg shot hit, not slow... culling outright pwned) back up, triple arrow, one arrow hits.
    Resigned to my fate, i decide not to evac so i can see what will happen... and this guy musta been a monk, cause i think he hundred hand slapped me....
    well, i died. and i was pissed. really pissed.
    But it actually turned out ok, cause i died again right after in an extremely funny way....(pinballed between two tornados, one finally ended up launching me up and over the entire island i was on out into the open air on the other side...by kind of a lot too....was busting my gut for about 3 minutes)
    So to you SOE, i raise my glass... because at least when u make a bug, u [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] well make a fine one!
  5. ARCHIVED-subaridu Guest

First i apologize for my bad english, but SOE only forces us german speaking people to read english, not to write it. :smileywink:
    My ranger is lvl 58 and has only legendary t6 stuff and three A3-spells. My first experience with LU20 was in KoS. These funny flowers level 56. I didn't take notice of the changes, so i was really surprised, when these walking salad reached me with 80% health, telling me, what he thinks of the arrows sticking in his as. By the shock, he had put me down on 20% health left, when i got rid of him in close combat.
    The following encounters went better, but were long to fight. The effectiveness of fire- or tripple-shot is near zero. Imo i deal more dam with my two short range weapons without spells. In group i only used the high-dam-ranged spells and then closed in. On a raid las sunday, i nearly felt usefull, because a ranger still deals damage, when all mages are oom. I did not see any problems beeing a DD on the same level as a mage, my groupmates felt the same way.
    1. Can you still fill the DPS role adequately in groups? -> Not as i'm supposed to do. Bevore LU20 it already was hard to find a group out of my own gild. Since LU20 nobady seems to have a place left for an broken arrow. Luckily i can count on my guildm8. I have no usefull groupbuffs, i can't take much dam, i can't heal, i'can't do realy much dam. A guildmate said: But you're still nice looking! :smileyindifferent:
    2. What skills, if any, were "broken" in the patch?
    Tripple-Arrow, Stream of Arrows. I find no use for them since lu20, for in cc (imo) i deal more dam.

3. Are you able to solo effectively?
    I admit, that before LU20 and after LU13 solomobs were to simple to fight. But SOE has given us no root, no effective cc-spell and most of ranged attacks had to be cast when standing still. What else is our option, than do most of our dam by ranging, with the first two shots? Now there is only one spell left (cloaked ranged attack) that deal nearly a good starting dam, if lucky, i can cast one other ranged spell bevore the mob reaches me.

4. If applicable: do you bring enough to the raid table to be a worthwhile contributor?
    In a raid we are the only class, that is able to deal acceptable long range dam, after all mages are oom. So we are a nice backup char, but not anymore first choice.

My comment to LU20: Frustrating! Bevor i was a nice looking heavy artillerie, now i'm only good looking.

greetings
    suba
    Message Edited by subaridu on 02-28-200612:14 PM
  6. ARCHIVED-Zholain Guest

Hi there Mirdo. There are a couple things that I think cause the disparity (keep in mind that this is purely my opinion). First is the additional debuffs and buffs that you'll see in a raid setting. Next, I truly think that the same level mobs in KoS are much more difficult than in DoF. Not having raided any of the t7 stuff yet, I cannot imagine how a raid force of low 60's can possibly make it through an encounter without running out of power before the mob is even close to death. The dps simply isn't there. That is why I still think that we need a 15% to 20% increase.

Stream of Arrows? I have stopped using it altogether in group play. The mobs I've been fighting usually parry at least half of the arrows, most of the time much more than that. I've found that it's more effecient to melee for that 30 seconds. In a raid setting, it's a bit different, at least on DoF mobs. It's minimal power usage, along with the perceived lessened parry ability of these mobs still allows me to maintain moderate dps while conserving power.

I'm not sure how valid my findings are, since I am comparing two different tiers. But that doesn't change the fact that the same level mobs from the different expansion areas feel completely different. The parry rate is obscene, and inconsistent. My arrows should have AT LEAST as much chance of hitting as my sword/sabre/swiftblade/leafblade/ or whatever. As things are now, that certainly does not seem to be the case.
  7. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

FWIW, I have noticed that poisons will go off more than once using Stream. At least the number is going down in my usage count. I still don't use it that often, it just doesn't seem to be worth the arrows. I haven't NOTICED proc's going off more than once, but that doesn't mean they aren't. With Storm and pounce you can still put poison on more than one mob (i've seen multiple Icons in the spell area). I can still get up to 400 DPS in group on occasion, but it usually hovers between 150 and 250 (as low as 75 against high orange heroic)

Raid DPS isn't horrible. I have actually been able to do higher DPS on some raids, up to 450 (Lockjaw). But, with the newly tweaked raid mobs, we are wiping on raids that were NO trouble before the revamp (again - Lockjaw)
  8. ARCHIVED-Steezity Guest

Stream of Arrows isnt a CA... its kinda strange that way. Its an ability that casts Stream Shot, (a CA) every 1.5 seconds... therefore the procs have a chance to hit on every arrow fired.
    Since procs were taken off 2nd and 3rd attacks, and not the 2nd and 3rd arrows fired, all (both) of our ae's have a chance to proc on every arrow. Its simply that our chance to proc has been completely destroyed, so its hard to notice.
    Things like triple arrow and precision shot no longer proc on the 2nd and 3rd arrows however....
  9. ARCHIVED-Whois Guest

Ok, this is my first post. I read forums alot ever since I hit lvl 45ish since I like to keep up with stuff. I am currently a lvl 65 ranger on Lucan D'Lere in a fun raid guild. I have a mix of fabled t6 , legendary crafted and non-crafted t6/7 , and some nice lil t7 treasured as my current gear. All my skills are master 1 or Adept 3 for t6, t7 are adept 1 and master 1 of the Snipe upgrade. My self buffed stats are 306 str, 371 agil, 170 stam and 30 int (not too worried about proc damage atm :smileysad:) around 4500 health/4200 power in Off Stance. Im using imbued ironwood, foreman's shank and cobalt spatha ( silly pizzy 1 went grey ) and Sting of Virulence DoT poison. I've played for 104d and created char on March 14 2005. Ok, just wanted to give an overview of my char before I comment on how I feel about my ranger.

I love my ranger and have always had fun playing her. Before DoF I solo'd pretty much to 50, was in small guild then and didnt start raiding until I was 49/50. Then DoF came out and bam! we started to kick some butt ..... too much tho? Yes, we were overpowered , we could solo 55^^^+ nameds with little difficulty , we could almost always parse in top 4 at raids without dieing in the process , we beat most classess in duels (but then again so could summoners - not an attack, just stating what I know from grouping/raiding with them alot). We needed our DPS lowered some to bring us in line with other T1 classess.

1. Can you still fill the DPS role adequately in groups?

Honestly? I don't think so I have been parsing since KoS was released and for me things look like this.....I solo at around 250-300 dps , in groups I average 250-450 dps (can get maybe 700dps max if I use sniper and blow all my ranged/melee CA's , which I do alot since I have only pulled aggro one time since KoS release lol) I have been xp'ing of lvl 68^^^'s last few days so I'll just mention how others are parsing Iv'e been grouping with (again not an attack on any other classes, just saying what I've seen)....Necros lvl 64/65 parsing about 500-800 on average, Wizards lvl 63/64 parsing 500-800 avg, assassin 64 400-800 , monk 61 300-500 , alot of times zerkers and wardens have parsed higher then me heh....you get the idea. So again....no, we arent fullfilling our role in grps imo.

2. What skills, if any, were "broken" in the patch?

I don't notice anything "broken" per se, but they chnaged alot of stuff it seems...stun on Cheap Shot seems off, power use/casting times on CA's are different , Trap doesnt work the same , lost the use of our last mobile ranged CA other then the 2 AE's

3. Are you able to solo effectively?

Ya I guess....can take groups of yellow 2-3 down arrows or single ^ blues w/o much effort (unless I get an add) orange solo no arrows are usually ok if all CA's and trap up - which includes sniper so thats every 15 mins...I hope the parry issue gets fixed and helps solo some.

4. If applicable: do you bring enough to the raid table to be a worthwhile contributor?

Well, I'm the only active ranger left in guild now so I make good comic relief! Seriously though I won't be much use at raids except maybe on the ranged fights, but if a mage is available and I were raid leader I know I would not pick a ranger instead.

Anyway, I feel useless now...I'm lucky enough to have alot of friends in guild to help me lvl but I just get depressed parsing in groups. I could care less If I'm top [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] DPS on the parser, but I want to feel like Im doing what my class is supposed to do....I don't want pity groups. I want to feel needed for groups and raids again, I want to feel like a ranger again.......

Tonni
    65 Ranger of Lucan D'Lere