Can we ban Krono in the L&L server?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vunder, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Boldac Active Member

I know the reason I left the live servers had nothing to do with F2P vs Sub.

It was 100% to do with the insane stat bloat, removal of fun and replacing it with the Smed-cash spell/skill upgrades, etc. And lets not forget about the Krono-bot armies that are out there now.

At the end of the day, it boils down to the TLE servers bring in money or they would stop doing them.

And lets not use EQ Next as any sort of example or benchmark except for what not to do.
  2. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I would like to see that source myself as well but you beat me to asking for it. Thanks. I have been playing and PAYING a sub fee since before EQ2. It started as ALLSOE when I was still playing EQ1 BEFORE launch of EQ2. Most of the people I play with and know pay sub.
  3. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Speaking from experience and knowing a lot of players, I only know of alt accounts with silver membership. Have you actually tried playing FTP here? It's awful. I offer a different theory. They keep making new servers to try to slow down subscribers leaving the game. The numbers are certainly tumbling on live, the causes of this are obvious. The only way to get players back, or at least hang on to them a while longer, is shiny new servers with interesting rulesets.

I personally love the way this new server is 7 expansions in. And from speaking to many veterans of that time onwards (I originally quit at RoK so never played Velious first time round), they all seem to agree that the game peaked at or just before this point and subsequently began a long steady nose-dive in terms of quality. Our current lead designers are unable to replicate that quality and fun within their stat and mechanics redesign, so they're just turning the clock back to a time before they were allowed to ruin everything.

It will be a temporary success.
    Aethos and Tkia like this.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

You invalidated your own reasoning: Every new server launched for years now has been Gold Sub Only. If they were trying to prevent the "awful F2P version" players you mention from leaving, they wouldn't launch every new server as Gold. ;)
  5. Tkia Well-Known Member

Source?
  6. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

What? That isn't what I said. I said it's to stop subscribers leaving the game.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Uh, pretty sure the company financials aren't available for public review. Again, I'm asking you to support your statement about who subscribes where, or just admit that you made it up based on what YOU think.
    Finora likes this.
  8. Cisteros Active Member

Without publicly disclosed numbers from the people who run the game, everyone is merely posting based on what they think, or at best, anecdotal evidence based on those people within their gaming circle.

Sound and fury signifying nothing
  9. Boldac Active Member

All we know is that based on money in vs money out (subs, cash shop, krono sales, whatever) the game is still doing something right since we're all still here.

I mean, if you believe all the rumors, then a good amount of the money they brought in from EQ Next/Landmark (I think is what it was called) was funneled to help H1Z1....but who believes what they read on the internet anyway?..... o_O
  10. Boldac Active Member

And don't get me wrong, I'm not against Krono. Seen plenty of folks help friends with a sub by using them.

My problem with Krono is the bots it encourages. The bots farm the hot gear, sell it to a person who most likely bought the krono from some 3rd party site who bought it from the bot farmers. That is the problem with krono. It basically allows for the use of real money to buy in-game items. And the bots who farm those items obstruct gameplay for people who are just trying to play the game and have fun.
  11. vlada Active Member

i dont think you know what youre talking about. there arent any bots farming the hot gear and selling it, and kronos dont come from 3rd party sites
  12. Melt Actually plays the game

what a bizarrely uneducated take
    Pixistik and Priority like this.
  13. TheInquisitor New Member

The old EverQuest. Pipe dream but I like it.
    Pixistik likes this.
  14. Boldac Active Member

Thanks for that....made me laugh.
  15. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Incorrect. You can buy the newest expansions and then play new content and all previous content without ever having to subscribe.
  16. Siren Well-Known Member

Um, no, actually to play on live's Isle of Refuge Free Trade server and Rivervale server, as well as the Time-Locked Progression servers (which have always been Gold Sub for years, since their inception) like Kaladim TL-PvE and Tarinax TL-PvP, you absolutely 100% need to be subbed Gold. You also needed to sub Gold for the Race to Trakanon Event Server, and both Season 1 and Season 2 of the Nagafen PvP Event Server.

When you hit the Create button to make a new character, you can see 4 different boxes pop up, 3 out of 4 server types of which require a Gold subscription to even roll a character on.

The only servers you can just buy live expansions for and play on without subscribing are the four oldest legacy F2P servers: Antonia Bayle, Skyfire, Halls of Fate and Maj'Dul.

The more you know. ;)
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  17. Venser Active Member

you cannot ban krono on a server as the currency has nothing to do with DPG other than the fact that it is sold and traded, they don't control its presence. So in short.... no
  18. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Actually they can... but they wont
    Siren likes this.
  19. Proto12 Active Member

I'm intrigued by this new L&L server concept, and I think it's possible that it may be the only implementation of a TLE space that can retain casual, veteran players (assuming the scaling works and there are unique rewards for completing content at every tier).

With that in mind, I think it's practically a requirement that the economy on the server be set up for long term success, which means kronos have to be isolated in some form. If a krono that is bought and traded on the server can be sold on another, then a farming economy (which by definition involves botting to varying degrees) is inevitable. I think we all agree that inevitability leads to an unenjoyable play experience - and we've seen the cycle of that play out numerous times at this point - so I would hope that the devs will take precautions, but idk, we'll see...
    Siren likes this.