Can status be added to crafting content?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Deson, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

The stated premise behind adding status to adventure instances was that devs wanted guild hall upkeep to feel less like a chore. Well, why hasn't that same logic been applied to crafting instances and writs? RoK writ grinding was an excercise in tedium but status could have made it more worthwhile and since it was the crafter equivalent of instance farming, a modest status amount would have made sense. The TS missions being one a day with a weekly is limiting but there is no reason that a modest status amount couldn't be added to those either or the Far Seas faction writs. The philosophical barrier has already been broken on the adventuring side, why not do the same for crafting?
  2. ARCHIVED-VolgaDark Guest

I have often wondered the same thing and doesn’t matter which way I think about it I can not think of how adding a bit of status to Kunark faction grind and Far Seas mission would “overpower” the game.
    So I 100% agree with Deson.
  3. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

For RoK faction grinding writs I believe the logic is that adventuers don't gain faction while doing the quests to get them faction so neither does the crafter.
    As to TS instances and once a week runs, well that I kind of agree with you. It would be nice(tm) to add a modest amount of status per run which would more/less parallel instance runs as they are now.
  4. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Ohiv wrote:
    I understand that as a logic but the problem is crafters don't really have much other content and any philosophical barriers became compromised when they made status incidental to instance runs. I never liked the idea since I beleive status and faction should be things worked for and not just handed out. Once they started though an even standard with regards to content differences should have been applied.In the case of RoK, you can cap out on faction and be locked from doing the writs at all.
  5. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

Deson wrote:
    There is no "philosophical barrior" that became compromised when they added status to instance runs other then that simple point is the reason why they should add status to TSO runs, other then that it has no bearing with RoK faction grinding. With RoK faction gaining the same problem exists with adventuers once i finish the quests I am "locked out" of being able to do them again. I don't see the problem with RoK really it's fine. I do see an issue with the TSO missions that part we agree on.
  6. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Ohiv wrote:
    The barrier is one of incidence vs. work. They made status incidental to normal adventuring activity so that you wouldn't have to work to maintain guild halls. Crafters don't get the same treatment unless you count leveling on writs which eventually ends.
  7. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

Deson wrote:
    See your point still don't agree. Adventuers put them selves in alot more risk to do an instance then if they just went out and did writs(you know the whole risk vs reward). Crafters at any time for alot more status per hour can grind writs. Like I said I don't see the issue other then on TSO TS missions.
  8. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Ohiv wrote:
    I do 8 adventure writs an hour in Kunark and about the same if I don't seriously push it for crafting writs. It's about the same and adventure writs don't require me to prep with fuels and raws.Agree to disagree however.
  9. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

Deson wrote:
    Asside from parts and fuel for crafting which i will agree is a main difference between the two, relativly speaking you should be pumping them out faster then that crafting. If anything I am surprized you are banging out 8 adventure writs per hour. I would suggest just doing timed writs they go faster and keep you on your toes.
    edit: Forgot to reiterate I do fully agree with adding status to TSO TS crafter mission, I have mixed feelings on adding status to the TSO TS once a week mission (not really for or against and won't complain if they added status). As to the point of RoK faction runs I think you stated your points very well, I just don't agree. Here we will agree to disagree. I am sure there are others that will agree with me and I am sure there are others that will agree with you. It is the nature of things very rarely can everyone agree on everything 100% of the time.
  10. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Ohiv wrote:
    I only do timed and I can average about 10 an hour after prep but it's so tedious after doing them on 10 1-80 and a 1-70 level ups plus straight crafting for faction when 70 was cap and doing them for the crafting epic, I take a lot of breaks dropping me to about 8. On my necro though doing Kunark writs I can burn though them fast with most of the delay being transit and reacquisition because I refuse to add a Kunark writ guy to the guild hall.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

Deson wrote:
    I agree transit time is what kills my adventuer writs speed at gaining them fast. It might also be the writs I pick up that is also causing me more delays. I have a tendency of just grabbing the top level writs and not checking to see how stuff is layed out. As such it has me running all of JW to do those writs which well frankly takes time. Being a druid/warlock I can port back to KP and pick up writs at an ok rate, and then hammer back to JW to continue on. SO that being said I probably have lots of room for improvement on doing adventuer writs. Also on that point it sounds like if you weren't burned out on doing writs to level you would also be cranking them at a much higher rate too which was my originial premis. Which lots of folks have prooven time and time again.
  12. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Ohiv wrote:
    I used to champion that argument as well and noted that materials can be bought but no one can kill for you. It's not just the burnout though, it's also the sitting down with the sustained focus to crank out those writs at peak rates of 12 an hour. It's boring with a mandatory minimum time. Adventuring while riskier, is against solo mobs that, if you aren't a healer or a guard, die in less than 30 seconds, reward with loot and requires no expenditures on the part of the writ grinder. Another factor is that while more people involved in crafting by doing harvesting and such still has individual returns, you can adventure grind with a group and increase writs being done exponentially; one harvest does not divide 6 ways like a mob can.
    My adventure writ rotation is Nettle succulents, succulents, deadly cockatrices, deadly sabretooths, jarsath jibsnapers, dragoons, iksar ghosts and whatever the lower cockatrices are around howling stones. The dragoons and ghosts add huge times to my writ grind because of transit but I add them because it fits into my grind flow from the Jarsath docks to back by the zoneline to KP. Once I'm done with their respective factions though, they are out.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

Deson wrote:
    I generally seporate out the gathering for writs vs the actual doing of writs.(note i think you ment to say one crafter writ does not divide 6 ways like a mob can versus saying harvest) By your example I can have that same number of crafters cranking out status as you have adventuers doing adventuer writs and the crafters will easly win. The status is being distributed to the guild the same way (atleast this is my assumption your working towards). NOW to be fair about this it will take the crafter time/money to gain the parts needed to actually do the writs. IF you are to put this into the equasion then yea I will have to agree that adventuer writs kick the pants off crafting writs. Except I must comment some guilds actually have a harvest depo(we used guild bank before that) and there are adventuers that aren't crafters that just dump parts into that depo for their guild's crafters to "magically" turn into status for the guild. In this example the crafter has a very large amount of "free" parts so to speak so they can crank on writs alot longer with alot less time needed for gathering/buying.
    ANYWAYS i seriously doubt that the amount of status would be increased for crafter writs, one issue off the top would be crafters can't get a white or a yellow writ but an adventuerer can.
  14. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

No I meant the harvest since the harvests are vital in completing writs. Even if you count the depot, someone still had to harvest and every one raw can only be used by one crafter. I'm not looking for more status per writ, just more incidental status. if we could do more than one mission per day I'd settle for that but since we can't and faction writs still account for very large parts of crafter content, parity requires at least a token amount of status be added to them