Can SK & paladin group with out being the tank?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by EQ_Jack, Oct 1, 2019.

1. EQ_Jack Active Member

coming back. It's been a long time.

Can the SK & paladin classes join groups as DPS?
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

Sure, any of the tank classes can do that. While every group is different, generally speaking most prefer, and/or expect them to tank. For some groups, all people really want is someone to hit Bulwark when it comes up. Other groups really need someone to keep aggro.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

Can they? Yes,

Will groups want you as DPS? Probably not.
  4. Melt Actually plays the game

For paladin, nah. Shadowknights can be beasts though.
    parissa, Soara2 and Dude like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

Can be beasts and accepted into groups as DPS are two different things. Not saying it won't happen, but if someone wants to play DPS, it's going to be easier to find groups as a true DPS.
    Raff, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  6. Kittybock Well-Known Member

While some groups might run a second tank, for coin runs and such, there seems to be a shortage of geared tanks, so I am not a fan of a 2nd tank in group. I'd rather see 2 groups able to run. If you like that playstyle, but would rather not tank, a swashie is a nice segue.

Given the addition of Balanced Synergy this expac, it is also more advantageous to have a proper mix in groups, so that they can utilize synergy.

edit: Caveat on this topic: Many groups will run a 2nd tank, while helping them get geared up :)
    Raff, JanEQ and Dude like this.
  7. Priority Well-Known Member

it truly is a PITA getting groups to accept that you're a tank AND you can dps. Then you triple the next highest guy....
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

Agree. Roll a DPS/ Utility / Healer class for groups. Pass gear down to your tank until you can actually function as a tank. Good tanks are greatly needed these days.

But most heroic groups are not going to run 2 tanks.
    Kittybock likes this.
  9. Hellfiren Well-Known Member

For me i like the Original Gameplay which means 1 Tank and the other toons if i can sort out a Bard / Chanter / DDs / Heals or some other combinations.

But thier is no Reason against a 2nd Tank if clear who of them is tanking and who is going off Stance for DPS and Deaggro for avoinding aggro pingpong.

As for Joke last Expa i did some Coin runs with 6 Tanks in one Groupe if you Mix up a Guard / 2 Pala / 2 SK 1 Monk and 1 Zerk you have DPS / Tank and Heal it works fine if all of them are well geard and know thier class to play.
    Its fun too.

Balanced Synergy is a goody to use but most of us Raiders dont care in groups because mostly we are strong enough to manage without.

MFG Helfiren
  10. Legionair Member

As Dude said above. Can They? Yes. However it is true that because of your class being a fighter most people won't want you. Unless they "know you" and you're reputation of being a good player shines alongside your DPS output. Otherwise most groups will end up choosing someone that rolls an actual DPS class (even if said player / DPS sucks)
    Just be advised, if you're going to take on that role as a dps tank, your stats and gear cannot fall short. I've seen tanks try to roll as a backup DPS just to fill the 6th spot and their Spell Double Cast was only 30%. Bad decisions like that are unacceptable and you just wasted the DPS slot.
    Dude likes this.
  11. SteveB Active Member

Some filled DPS slots can also be a wasted DPS slot.
    Any class can DPS, some better, some worse, anyhow if you apply for a DPS slot you should generally be in the top3 of the parse if not your application is not matching your performance.
  12. Raff Well-Known Member

Probably the only way you will get someone to consider using another tank is if they know you personally or you are in their guild. But LFG Tank looking for a dps spot? You'll likely be spamming that all night.