Camera spinning upward

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Klalorn, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

FIFY
  2. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

And how often it happens "for you"?
  3. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Sporadically since forever... ?

I'm not convinced that this can be fixed without a significant amount of work that DBG is likely never going to put forth. I remember reading a breakdown of the likely culprit some years ago and the person who wrote it claimed it was essentially something in the game not wanting to play nice with the OS drivers. If SOE didn't fix it when they cared and had the resources to do so I don't expect a handful of over worked people who can barely keep up with their regular workload are going to drop everything to try and address what amounts to a minor inconvenience for most players.

Also, there is only one other MMO that I recall ever consistently having this problem with, including ESO, and that was SWTOR. The problem there was actually my settings. Once I addressed it, it stopped. It has never stopped in EQ2 regardless of changing computers, periphrials, settings, etc. It might not happen for a while, but it has never failed to come back and annoy me.
    Cheallaigh and Rhodris like this.
  4. Tekka Well-Known Member

There is one other game I have had mouse issues with - Guild Wars (the first, not the second). So about 6 years ago. It would sometimes double click instead of single as well as change my camera angle. I tweaked in game and computer mouse settings and was able to fix it.

I've never had mouse spin in ESO, FF14, Rift, Guild Wars 2, City of Heroes (rip), Horizons/Istaria, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online - and just as important, neither has anyone I know personally, or played with regularly, ever had mouse spin (that wasn't easily fixed) in any of those games.

The same can't be said for EQ2. It's a long term, intermittent problem. The only thing you can really do is put up with it, there isn't a real 'fix'.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  5. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Erratically, but quite a bit since this last expansion pack. You are one person - you cannot speak for others' experiences.
    Cheallaigh and Tekka like this.
  6. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I have "my camera" and "my mouse" in my sentence. And I don't have "everyone" or "everybody" in it.

I think that the graphical library including mouse routines have been either bought or developed by SOE.
    It takes a lot of time and effort to analyze and debug someone else's code in my experience.
    The issue should be on the list of issues, but the priority of issue depends on how bad the problem for end users is.
    The more people complain, the higher the priority.
  7. Tekka Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

The problem comes when folks start going on about mechanics they haven't the faintest clue about, but assert their own experience as if it contradicts the much broader issue.

The fact of the matter is, folks have brought this issue up over and over for years, that it hasn't ever been resolved makes it pretty clear that they can't, or don't know how, to fix it.

So in support of our fellow players, it's best that we give accurate information that's based in actuality.
  8. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

so, in the interests of helping out that way...

win 7/10
    wired - razor orochi/ wireless - MS arc touch
    desktop/surface pro
    full DL
    main movement is via mouse look/move
    graphics(since i have the mem leak issue as well) have been the lowest to the highest in-game
    windowed and full screen
    Tekka likes this.
  9. Drackore Member

Unchecking smooth mouse reduced it dramatically!
  10. Jumbled Member

Just throwing my two cents in for the heck of it.

I've seen this for years using multiple computer systems, hardware configurations, and versions of Windows, so I'm tempted to say it's either inside the Windows mouse driver (maybe some ancient bit of code that's been recycled a gazillion times), or inside EQ2 and probably very old by now. And since I don't see it in any other game I play, or at least that I can recall offhand, this narrows it to EQ2.

If some of you see it elsewhere, but the names I've seen so far suggest to me related software by the same company, this also suggests a common bit of code recycled within these games.

On some days, I don't see it at all, on others only a few times at long intervals, and there have been times where I had a stream of them in close succession. So whatever the cause, it seems random to me, because none of this occurred when I was doing anything specific and consistent, and the mouse cursor was mostly confined to a small area.

I'm thinking it could be related to some condition of where some variable gets an odd value in it, and then you click. In EQ2 the mouse pointer disappears as you click, so I'm wondering if this could hold relevance, a glitch in altering the condition of the pointer that spills over somewhere if you have other conditions involved, and this then zeros (or maxes) an angular value, thus turning the viewpoint upwards. It's a thought, at least.

As for me, it bothers me when it happens, but it's actually easier for me to just bring the view back into perspective rather than gripe over it. The 2 seconds of mouse movement isn't (probably) going to kill me. :)
    Juraiya, Tekka and Cheallaigh like this.
  11. Sunbite New Member

I get this a lot - and have not experienced it in other games. I always run as admin, have tried compatibility mode, editing the ini file (as advised by a dev) with no difference. Unchecking smooth mouse has definitely made a difference, although I still experience it more often than I'd like.

So ok, it's only caused one character death - but it's extremely annoying but I can put up with it as I doubt it if DBG will apply any fixes.
  12. Mugwort Active Member

Can give this a try and see if it helps:

In Options, select Controls > View Options

Then select in Free Look Controls dropdown menu [View Relative]

Might be a long shot, but a simple thing to try that could make a difference.
  13. Seni Active Member

I accidentally found a way to reproduce it 100%. Although this may not be helpful since it uses virtualization, it may let the devs debug and see if it's a common spot.

I use Synergy to allow use of one mouse and keyboard between computers on the same network. I use a Microsoft ergonomic mouse and keyboard on the main (server) machine, and when using Synergy to use my mouse on the 2nd computer (client) where EQ was, touching the right mouse button (like when trying to use mouse look or to move using both buttons) caused this to happen every time. The same mouse behaves fine on the main machine on EQ2 with only the occasional upskirt. I have more trouble with crashes these days than with my mouse. Just thought I'd mention a way to reproduce the trouble. I have an unused key for Synergy if a dev would like it, so they don't have to buy it.
  14. Bufee New Member

I'm coming back off a long break.

Created a new toon last night and experienced this camera spinning upward behavior at least 4x while on the boat doing the few basic quests before heading to the Isle of Refuge.

Fully patched Win 10 using a logitech wireless mouse.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  15. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

I wish I could remember which Dev posted about this, but he had the same problem and was working on tracking down the cause on his own time. That was such a long time ago that I fear the Dev is no longer with EQ2.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  16. Juraiya Well-Known Member

It was Jamiss. I never thought about the fact that he might no longer work there. :(
    Lateana likes this.
  17. Stingray427 New Member

I used to have this exact same problem, but I found an easy fix, if you play standing up it won't do it, don't know why but it works.
  18. Defender of Hedgehogs Member

This happens to me so frequently I've looked for ways to turn the mouselook off so I don't use it. It's very frustrating.

It had actually stopped almost completely maybe six months ago, but started again maybe two months ago. No idea if it was a Windows 10 update or an EQ2 update that brought it back.
  19. Defender of Hedgehogs Member

You just might be a genius -- I've changed the settings as suggested and it hasn't happened once in the last few minutes (where it seems to happen every other click).
  20. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

well i don't have win10, so... plus i require mouse look, most of the time i'm playing one-handed while my arm is still healing.
    ConcealFate likes this.