Calculating Cast Order Using Excel

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Sigrdrifa, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Colibri Member

the only thing that this recast gibberish does in your formular ( and the other even weirder one) is claculating the amount of ticks of the dot...you just make it more complicated...why?
    btw I could have told you crystal blast is worse by just looking at it without some fancy formular Oo
  2. Jofe Member

/bow out,,, Have fun with further posts in this thread, I feel I have said what needs to be said whether or not the information is agreed upon. ;)
  3. Mystere Member

You make it sound like there's actually two legitimate sides to this. Pro tip: there isn't. ;)
  4. Malachy Well-Known Member

You know, between the spell damage formula, the spell/equipment procs, coordinating with other players and estimating the number of mobs and the duration they may live, this type of stuff becomes quite ridiculous when you have 6-7 hotbars worth of spells, items and potions to choose from. The time it takes to put together something like this is time wasted on gaining the experience of just running a parser while playing, which is truly where you will gain the knowledge that combines it all to make a significant difference in your dps.

Mystere is right, if you are brand new, right click the spell, inspect it and figure out it's DPS (damage per second, ie total damage divided by cast time) -- this will give you the most insight until you have the experience behind you to deal with all of the other variables. You don't need an Excel spreadsheet, you can do the math in your head. Unless you are being completely ******** and boxing a mage, trying to create macros with /autofollow, recast is worthless. Do not think for a second you can create a macro for the highest dps spell rotation at your level, these things do not exist.

That all said, the OP has good intentions. I guess this game has gotten to the point to where most new toons are powerleveled so high so quick it might be overwhelming and this could help. But, I think the time it would take standing in front of training dummies maxing out your disruption, subjugation, etc...would be better spent inspecting the spells and arranging them on your hotbars based on DPS and/or situations (ie CC abilities one hotbar, temp buffs another hotbar, dots/nukes/AoE/PBAoE, etc) than typing all of this in Excel and THEN doing it.

TBH most mobs die almost immediately in this game unless they are raid mobs, so even the idea of 'spell rotation' to a non-raider is silly. You hit your biggest 2 or 3 DPS spells and it's over, if the tank can't keep aggro, it's his fault or the group setup (harsh truth.) If you are a raid mage and aren't hitting the dps you think you should, it is likely your equipment or AA, spell rotation is unlikely the issue as it is pretty intuitive. Oh and check your buffs, it is possible you have a lazy illy or troub with you.
  5. Malachy Well-Known Member

6. Nubek Active Member

I think the confusion in this thread stems from the use of the term DPS. On the one hand you have DPS as it appears in ACT (what Sigrfrida seems to be talking about), and then DPS as in efficiency (a more correct term that I like to use is Damage Per Second Spent Casting, or DPSSC), which is what you would use to inform your casting order, as Mystere has pointed out repeatedly.

Yes a spell with a quick reuse will show up higher on the DPS list in ACT purely because you get more casts of it within the same timeframe as other spells, that doesn't mean it is a more efficient spell to cast. The only thing that matters is this: of all the spells I can cast at any given moment, which spell does the most damage for the time I spend casting it. Reuse has no bearing on this equation.
  7. Nilka Member

OMG spreadsheets to play a game, you must have nothing else to do. I throw a boom if it hit and the mobs dies within a reasonable amt of time, I am golden, but I do not raid and maybe ( just maybeYOU need all that info). I am here to play, not be to the TOP of the heap. I enjoy the old content and each step up, lots of ppl just come for the Highest accolades and the end game, some enjoy the ride. No offense if you really NEED that, I understand.