Butcherblock Server: Norrath Public Library - A Request

Discussion in 'Traveler's Tales' started by ARCHIVED-megaira13, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-megaira13 Guest

I was going to put this in Homeshow, but this is where the writers are, so I'm posting it here! :)

While filling out some books for our GH library, today, I thought it'd be interesting to have an actual player-specific library on our server. It opens an entire window of possibilities of collaborative efforts between players. So, we have created the Norrath Public Library, Qeynos Branch on Butcherblock.

The Head Curator's name is Carria. She's in a Mistmoore Estate in South Qeynos so that the doors are always open & no one will ever be locked out with a "rent is not paid" message.

As it is brand new, it is pretty empty, currently.

We are looking for book submissions.

Submission Guidelines:
    Please mail your completed work to Carria via in-game mail. In the body of your email, please specify the type of work the book contains. Editing is your responsibility. You can send a note to ninibi at gmail.com to let me know you have mailed off a book, as I will likely not be logging her every day, with other toons to keep up with.

Make sure you keep a copy of your work for yourself stored on your account. This is not only to protect your work and ensure that you always have a copy of it in-game, but so that you can make and sell copies if players request a copy of your book.

Library Directory:
    There is a directory in the library lobby that lists other libraries - public, guild, and private - on Butcherblock to visit. If we should get to a point where a Freeport branch is opened, it will be added there.

Sections:
    Fiction - we welcome any writing. We do ask that if your work contains material of an adult nature, that you specify this in the title space of the book, and notify the curator in the body of your email. We will place these in a "private" section of the library. Provided the content is acceptable under the game Eula, we're not going to stand in the way.
    You can also submit poetry, song lyrics, whatever you please, provided it ties into Norrath in some form or another (or general context).

What I would *love* to see is some Norrathian Sci-Fi/Fantasy. What kind of stories would norrathians right? Is magic magical to them, or a commodity?

Nonfiction - player guides: crafting, raid, class guides, quest walkthroughs and information.
    I would say, though, submitting to this section, to keep in mind the ever changing nature of mechanics, content and player classes. Quests can also be researched through eq2i, so I would not worry about posting quest walkthroughs there, unless you want to design a special "hint as you go" style guide that folks can use to get an idea, without giving away each step of the quest.

Don't think this has to be confined to strictly "the game" - we can always add a self help section for destressing tips and tricks, recipes/cooking (it's easy to give a recipe a norrathian name, anyway), etc. As long as you bring a Norrathian tie to it somehow, it's welcome. Zen and the Art of Tinkered Hovercraft Maintenance, for example. ;)

I'd love to see some travel writing/essays.

Humor -
    what's life without a laugh?

Biography/Autobiography:
    I think most of us are most comfortable writing about our own character's stories because we "live" in those skins.

Novels:
    if you have a truly long piece of work (over 10 in-game books), it may be best to do a "teaser" chapter then add a URL for an out of game website where the person can read the rest. Or, you could "time" your releases in game and do a series.

I would also love to hear from people who'd like to volunteer to read and assist with this project (Thank you, Ishtara, for jumping right in, over on Flames).
    It could stay tiny, it could be huge, that is all up to Norrath. :)
    :)
    Ninibi/Reimani
  2. ARCHIVED-megaira13 Guest

Plenty of folks have jumped up to donate books to this - so a second suggestion/request/proposal:
    If you have a story here that is reasonable length that you'd like me to transcribe and put in there, please let me know. I can make a new character with your toon's name (or just have Carria do it as the curator, with a note in the opening and title who's tale it is) and copy the work from here to the books.
    I'm not sure if there's a way to donate across servers for book expenses, but if someone thinks of a way, please let me know.
    I'd really love to see player written novels held in an actual Norrath library & I'm just plain psyched there's a housing option that I never have to worry about people being locked out of!
  3. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

I donated the biography of my best friend to you yesterday. I do hope you enjoy it, because she means everything to me. :)
  4. ARCHIVED-megaira13 Guest

I just picked it up tonight. Thanks so much! :D
  5. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

You're free to put my story in your library. I put bout 4 or 5 chapters in-game in my own house, but they take a while to transcribe, and I don't have the time or patience anymore to do it myself lol.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Elhonna@Blackburrow wrote:
    1. Take the book and place it in your inventory.
    2. Right click on the book, select Copy
    3. Click on the unscribed notebook you wish to copy it to.
    4. Profit.
  7. ARCHIVED-megaira13 Guest