Not A Bug Bulwark of Order/Barrage Problems

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Decimates, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Decimates Member

Bulwark of Order feedback

The facts

Total duration of Bulwark of Order is 8 seconds https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Bulwark_of_Order

Barrage has a total time period of 10 seconds.

Barrage break down:

0 seconds - Message Barrage is going to happen: (1574024908)[Sun Nov 17 21:08:28 2019] #FF00FFWar Master Ryzon looks for his most hated target.

0-5 - "prepare" time to cast counter Barrage.

6-10 - Damage from Barrage.

(1574024914)[Sun Nov 17 21:08:34 2019] War Master Ryzon's Lunar Barrage hits YOU for 41569010 magic damage.

(1574024918)[Sun Nov 17 21:08:38 2019] War Master Ryzon's Lunar Barrage hits YOU for 58380634 magic damage.

In order to properly counter Barrage, Bulwark of Order duration must be up from seconds 6 to 10 (4 second period). If you cast it too late (say at 7 seconds) you take damage (6-7 second mark).

If you cast it too early (say at 1 second), you take damage (9-10 second mark).

The process

Since we don't live in a perfect world, we need to make sure we have Bulwark up 2 seconds before the damage, and 2 seconds after the damage. This means we want to cover seconds 4 through 12. The ability has a 0.5 second cast time also, to account for that, it means the optimum time to cast, is at 3.5 seconds.

This gives us a time line of:

0 - Barrage Message

3.5 - Cast Bulwark

4 - Bulwark up

6 - Damage (blocked by Bulwark)

10 - Damage (blocked by Bulwark)

12 - Bulwark fades

Assuming no latency on the server, this gives about 1.5 seconds room for error.

The problems

Server latency.

Most fights are scripted, this means there's a lot of other things going on, and when you hear your ACT ding that Barrage is coming, in 3.5 seconds, you need to cast Bulwark, regardless of what else is going on, within 1.5 seconds of the 3.5 second counting you did after the ACT ding.. whew.

Global Recovery. Any time you cast an ability, when the ability finishes, there is a "recovery" period. During this period, you can't do much. You can't melee attack, you can't cast another ability, etc. I believe base recovery is 0.5 seconds, and with 100% recovery, it is 0.25 seconds. The duration isn't important here, just that it exists.

Bulwark can be cast WHILE you are casting other abilities, however, if you go into recovery while you are trying to cast Bulwark, it will silently prevent Bulwark from casting. It just doesn't cast.

Possible fixes

Make Bulwark instant cast. This way it should not be able to be interrupted by recovery.

Increase Bulwark duration from 8 seconds to 10 seconds. This will allow fighters to not worry about having to cast at exactly 3.5 second period, and they can cast it as soon as they are able to given the situation, and not have to worry about casting it too early.

Both of these fixes should be very simple from a development point of view (changing cast time from 0.5 to 0, and duration from 8 to 10), and removes the majority of complaints about the Barrage system
    Veleje, Daxdd, Beastlord and 21 others like this.
  2. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Let's us not forgot a few zones/mobs in CD when the need to cast bulwark comes up faster than the recovery time of bulwark. (Thinking last mob in Fire Tier 1 zone.) I personally would like to see Bulwark become a maintained buff.
  3. Dolgrin Active Member

Beside the Bulwark mechanism avoids any meaningful comments.

With Dragon-AA "Ancient Focus" and "Chorus of Night" the bulwark duration is 9.2s.
    With a recovery speed > 230, the T1 mob in fire should be no problem.

And yes, yes, yes --- Bulwark has added a random component to raid encounters… a little bit of lag or lag spike (eg an other raid force zones in) 10-15 minutes of 24ppl work blows up to nothing….
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's my understanding that the tank should also be using death saves, self-heals, etc. during the barrage.
  5. Treggar Active Member

Bulwark of Order doesn't protect the tank from the barrage damage, it counters the ill effects on the rest of group. If you examine the ability, it's the first thing it says - "Does not protect the caster."

I agree on the instant cast thing though, especially in laggy zones. The icon will go blank for 2-3 seconds then pop back up with a "Recovering..." message and it just wont cast. If it does it multiple times, you miss your window.
  6. Unnattural Member

Bulwark makes it so the tank takes all of the damage and the rest of the grp takes none.

I have never seen Barrage do damage over a 4 sec period to the tank... ITs usually all hits within 1 sec and is usually 3 hits...
    for the past few months sometimes in zones like myth air the t3 boss will hit with STICKY MESS for 6-7 times instead of the usual barrage 3 hits... Or Fire zone Chancellors i cant remember what its called but also hits 6-7 times...instead of the 3 and is also not called barrage....

In KAEL raid zones Barrage hits a tank 3 times all within a 1 second period ( 2 according to act if lagging ) and a curse put on you and and 3-4 sec after barrage hits Continued barrage hits for another 3 hits. HOWEVER . the hits from kael are not as strong as they are elsewhere in the xpac.... Barrage from a t1 mob can hit for 1B damage per hit, Kael avg is about 300m on me personally...

IN times of lag or lack of power i have seen it be an issue for a tank to cast bulwark and cause issues. So i would also support making it an instant cast ability....and preferably one with no power cost!

I never once have see " The Process " Pointed out by decimates to be an issue... Granted yes i run ancient focus ( all tanks should ) and chorus of the night... But i have never seen the damage last over 4 sec...Unless bulwark is missed and the grp get hit by it , then its an incurable dot that hits them 3 times over 4 sec... but if the tank casts bulwark and absorbs it all hits occur within 1 sec which bulwark itself does nothing to dampen or prevent.
  7. Arclite Well-Known Member

I vote this quick fix ability to keep tank classes needed in the content to be removedn altogether. Focus on class balancing and make content where the incoming damage can only be mitigated best by a fighter classes. Worked for years so no need to reinvent the wheel.

At the very least it needs to be an instant cast, the server lag adds a challenge when there should not be any.
  8. Unnattural Member

I agree with this!, I prefer the mechanic of , if this mob is targeting someone non fighter for more than 3 sec that person dies!

MOST OF CD the only thing that could ever kill a raid tank that is half decent with decent healers was bulwark tho... I hate that aspect and am extremely happy that KAEL changed that and mobs autos and such matter again!
  9. Dolgrin Active Member

Big error!!!
    It is of course not recovery… it is reuse speed.
  10. Ratalthor Developer

This is working as intended. You can post feedback on spells and abilities in the General Discussion forums or in the Class specific forums.
    Breanna likes this.