[BUG?] Shard of Hate PQ subtle issue

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

First off, WOW! this PQ *I* think is the pinnacle of what the DEVs put together for Public Quests!!

There is SOOOOOOOOO much to do keeping everyone active, focused, and involved!!
    {and enjoying themselves!}
    Each one doing their part or parts, harvesting, crafting, killing (or being killed by) beasties,...

The subtle concern is the Third Act crafting.

While yes, Scronbone can just be battled down, even with all 20 increments of its (mere?) 5% damage reduction buff in place.
    The efforts of the crafters who would want to make the Imp Repellent(remove damage reduction buff), or the Spite Grenade (of Antioch ? ;) ) are relegated to being superfluous because obtaining the crafting components is SOOOOO difficult, the named is usually dead before we can even begin crafting. So many crafters, like myself, just ignore the Third Act crafting and just kill Scornbone until it dies from it.
    I would think the effort and thought put in by the DEVs ought not go to waste, but be more so, fully experienced,...

Please make the beasties that are to be killed for crafting components WAY easier to kill, so that we crafters can more so participate in bringing down Scronbone,... where we First shalt take out the Spite Grenade's Pin. Then, shalt we count to three. No more. No less. ;)
    Argosunited and Rosyposy like this.
  2. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

from update notes for 22feb18:

PUBLIC QUESTS
    Shard of Hate: Gates of Scorn [Public Quest]
    • Raging destroyers no longer regenerate health quite so fast.
    • Harvest Depots for each crafting station now allows for the withdrawal of 30 units of a single resource, up from 6.
    • Turrets now require a specific fuel to build. This incendiary coal is offered free from the merchant, Xil'Tana Rizon, who sells the turret recipes.
    • Scornbone inflicts greater damage than before. This damage can be reduced through crafting.
    • Scornbone can no longer be damaged if he has at least 10 increments of Hateful Brood.

Does this mean with the now forced necessity of crafting in the Third Act, that the beasties that carry the corpse-dropped components will be easier to kill and not require 10m of hacking and slashing just to defeat one,.. let along the many?
  3. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

well.
    just tried to entertain Scornbon, and well,.. the result was a FAIL, a fourth of the players in attendance decided to depart once Scornbone's buff increment went from 9, back up to 19 in a very short time,...
    Also only got Scornbone down to 96% over time it was up until FAIL state occurred.

Additionally:
    # Third Act yard trash are *STILL* too hard to kill to corpse-loot crafting components.
    # The imps under Scornbone respawn WAY to fast; one can not craft the repellents fast enough and the repellents wear off too fast to herd them to their pit(s).
    Rosyposy likes this.
  4. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Just failed on HoF, also - PQ timed out - as far as I could see, Scornbone was still at 100%. This zone might be good as a raid where folks are working together - it's a no-go as a public quest, IMO.
    Redlight and Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr like this.
  5. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

yeah,.. we ran out of time too. Many in attendance were crafting, or at least harvesting, as the depots I noted did have an amount of ore and such. Just that the imps just respawned WAAAAY! too fast. (or too few were herding with the use of the repellents?)
    Rosyposy likes this.
  6. Chrol Developer

Next hotfix will see the following changes:
    • Scorn fiends around Scornbone respawn much slower.
    • Imp repellents last 120 seconds.
    • Damage from Spite Grenade and Hate Ball have been increased to 25% and 50%, respectively.
    Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr and Rosyposy like this.
  7. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

WOOT!!! Thank you kindly!
    Then we First shalt take out the Spite Grenade's Pin. Then, shalt we count to three. No more. No less. ;)
    Rosyposy likes this.
  8. Indrajit Member

I don't want to be a downer but I've run and led many many of the PoP PQs and here is the general feeling about Shard of Hate PQ -- people are furious. Most of the experienced PQ leaders aren't doing it any more, which is a big problem because it is complicated enough that it needs a leader. The general opinion is that it isn't worth the time --and this is not only because everyone on our server fails with the new changes (although that is certainly a big issue.)

A few points:

1) The PQ gear from one run isn't really all that great. You have to do a lot of them to get decent rewards and spending 2 hours isn't time effective compared to heroics -- or just waiting for the next PQ.

2) PQs seem to have been designed for a casual player so they can just drop in. Spending 2 hours on a complicated script is more like a raider's mentality, not a casual player's. It's good that PQs are casual. It's a fun way to bring people together. We have grown into a group of friends by doing them repeatedly.

3) I looked at the eq2.wikia and read the dev comments and the design of this PQ and the proposed "fixes" don't seem to address the main point of the PQs, which is -- quickly in and out, have fun, get some slightly above average gear (rarely) and some coins -- as a transition to heroics.

4) Too many different mobs, too many recipes, too many steps. Like a said, a raid leader could pull it off. The herd of cats that jumps into a PQ, not so much.

I love the game and the new expansion. I give it generally high marks. But this one need some work and rethinking.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  9. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

/e sigh

unlike many, Tradeskillers are quite mature and actually posses patience, so the participants to this PQ does not need hand-holding, nor the oppression of the odious.

the wikia on Shard of Hate PQ has all the information collected to-date [~97% complete], which will allow any whom choose to read it insight on what needs to be done to complete said event.

while the statement of limited coin reward (or cost of merchant items) and be clearly agreed with by many, THIS is not the post in which to discuss that topic.

I appreciate this PQ, as again, it allows MANY a wide variety of activities in which contribute to the whole.
    ...as opposed to the more mindless PQs of the past (e.g. just kill beasties until they die from it)
  10. Indrajit Member

>unlike many, Tradeskillers are quite mature and actually posses patience,

Your tradeskillers may be mature and possess patience but they are apparently also quite condescending. I'm glad you like this PQ. Unfortunately the majority of players are not as mature as you and would prefer something a little more engaging.

Just because someone (most someones, in fact) doesn't agree with you is no reason to be this way.

>THIS is not the post in which to discuss that topic.

This is not your personal forum. It is a public forum. Last I checked, it was the only thread on this topic, except for your other one. Because it got a response from the dev, it is now the place to discuss these issues and they are hardly off-topic. Please re-read your own posts to see how they are not that much different -- we are all discussing ways to improve the PQ. For example, you said, "Please make the beasties that are to be killed for crafting components WAY easier to kill."

I agree completely.

Let us hope that the tone of future discussions are more respectful of differing opinions without the condescension.
    Murfalad and Rosyposy like this.
  11. EmJay Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Indrajit, but I sure have not had the same experiences with this new Shard of Hate PQ as you did. I do not agree with your comment to Ceyarrecks that the majority of players are not as mature as him. And he definitely did not come across as condescending. And, btw, I do not know Ceyarrecks.

I've been involved in the latest Shard of Hate PQ since the changes the last three times it was up and which have failed on all three occasions. However, each one was getting better in that the players were grasping and understanding the tasks at hand and trying to accomplish them. They were more than mature enough and capable enough to try to follow the script and get the job done.

The main problem right now as far as I see it and that Ceyarrecks was spot on about is the rapid respawn rate of the imps. By the time you moved an imp to its portal and came back, three more seemed to spawn in its place. My numbers, I'm sure, are wrong, but all I can say is that the actual number of imps never seemed to go down no matter how many were being herded away. That is definitely something that needs looking into by the devs.

The yard trash does take a little longer to kill than I think is necessary also.
  12. Indrajit Member

On our server, when SoH spawned a few hours ago, they asked for people to join. Everyone in general chat said, "not if it's Hate". As a result, they got 6 people! On the other hand, PoD just spawned and the zone was completely full and rejecting people within seconds.

I'm afraid you misread my intention about "maturity". I thought the previous lines made my sarcasm clear. He was the one saying they were not mature.

>unlike many, Tradeskillers are quite mature

Maturity is not something that is linked to adventurers vs. tradeskillers. I apologize for the apparent lack of clarity. I'm not going to beat this to death, however. It is a side point and we should move on.

I think we are all agreed on the main point: SoH needs to be fixed.
  13. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Please stop putting game content onto live servers to test. This PQ is a total failure and a waste of players time.
  14. Lucus Well-Known Member

the PQ isn't that bad til lyou get the to part where you need to repel the stuff around scornbone, the success or failure of a this PQ revolves around the players knowing the strat or caring enough to look it up, i can't say whether the last one i did succeeded or not, was having net issues but some adventurers spent a few minutes beating on him when he had 20 stacks

for that last stage you need to kill a specific mob for some charges to the teleporter, harvest a bunch of stuff and then have enough people to scare away the imps with repelant.

off all the PQs so far this one suffers greatly when you don't have a full instance, the number of mobs you need for the tower defense waves should scale down as the population scales down,

as for scornborne i really don't see any reason for there to be a script there that requires as much effort to get as it does now, the number of stacks he can have max needs to be reduced so you aren't severely punished if you have too few people and not enough understand you need to craft to to remove his DR.
    Indrajit, Murfalad and Rosyposy like this.
  15. Murfalad Member

Just came out of my second PQ, the first only had 15 in and we got stuck on the personification of hate, I built three turrets up, he came over and took them down losing 1% health - at that rate there was no chance of getting him down.

The next PQ looked more promising with 50 in it, started off great, the personification of hate went down - excellent, and then - what the!

The dragon was impervious to damage, I found the ingredients on wiki to craft the items, to get rid of the imps, to allow us to damage him...

Yet I'm supposed to gather and craft while being attacked? I couldn't get out of combat the adds were endless, the only solution here was to die and run back - trying to not aggro any of the wandering mobs who would take 5+ minutes to kill. After an hour most people had left and the dragon was back up to full buffs.

Some suggestions

1) Don't make the only way to kill the dragon by crafting - making the crafting a way to speed the kill.
    2) The adds have way too much health and spawn far too fast, no idea why the turrets stopped working at this point as it seems logical they should be killed by them as a preferable way keeping your character aggro free to craft and gather.
    3) Either have a feature where people can remove 1-3 turrets worth of mats from the depots or just have people auto using the depot materials, it would be smoother and encourage the crafting.

The whole PQ is excellent and has fantastic potential, but its just nigh on impossible to get people to casually to cooperate that well together. Even a top raiding guild would be hard pressed to justify the time vs reward, so the random group thing isn't worth it for time. I like the idea though of having an epic sized PQ like this, but if its supposed to last over an hour it should be very rewarding.

One last feature I'd love to see for the PQ would be players taking control of a tower to do damage, perhaps as a more effective way then auto turrets, it would be great fun, but no doubt a lot of coding.
    Drona, Indrajit and Rosyposy like this.
  16. Indrajit Member

Great suggestions. It appears the devs are listening so let's hope they fix it. It has great potential.
  17. Chrol Developer

Everything should be craftable while in combat. Will fix that if not the case. And will increase the amount of resources that can be withdrawn for the turrets.

For the Scornbone event, will make trash die quicker and will update the imp repelling to be much easier to achieve.
    Typhon and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

May I request to please remove infusers from the tradeskill loot tables? Infusers are not relevant to tradeskililng, and I really don't like spending an hour tradeskilling to get a single infuser. That makes my last hour a total waste, considering I can get the same infuser (multiples even!), by adventuring. Please, restrict the ts loot tables to ts items?
    Argosunited, Mermut and Rosyposy like this.
  19. Chrol Developer

Also reducing the update count for stage 3 from 72 to 48, and stage 4 from 132 to 96.
    Typhon and Rosyposy like this.