[Bug] NPC's disappearing

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-Levatino, Sep 2, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Levatino Guest

In several zones I find that when I want to return to an NPC for a questupdate or to finish it, the NPC in question is gone. After camping to myself, I find the NPC is back and I can hail them.
    I found that when another player is in the vicinity and hails the NPC, the NPC in question also appears for me.
    Others having the same issue?
  2. ARCHIVED-Xianthia Guest

Hroar Kalacious has been bugged for over a month :/ He's the npc at the top of the tower by Kunzar's Edge. He spawns half buried at the base of the tower. In order for me to hail him, I have to stand outside of the tower as far away as I can be to still open the door, then click on him (eventhough he's too far away to hail). While keeping his target, climb up the tower and hail on top and then he will appear.
    I've tried hailing him at the base of the tower but get a message that he's too far to interact (or something to that effect).
    Whatever is happening to NPCs accross Norrath is spreading...
    (tried the camping to self to see if that works, that's only worked once for me :( )
  3. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

They tend to appear at the wrong z-axis position, recently, if they are normally on a bridge. I've seen this with a quest giver on the cacotoxic stain in bonemire, and I had a friend who saw the hadden's earring guy underwater while I saw him at his usual spot, and he had to target it underwater and come up top to hail.
  4. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Yeah, this is a y-axis bug (don't ask me why but in games verticle is y).
    The npc's are falling thru the objects they're supposed to be on. I presume its cause they are attempting to be rendered before the object below them.
  5. ARCHIVED-Levatino Guest

but what I find strange is that it only happends when you return for a questupdate or questending, not when you want to start a quest.. also npc's not involved in any quest you currently have will render normally
  6. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

Try walking up to where the NPC is meant to be,

- press "alt+O" (for options).
    - click "Alternate Models" (left hand row).
    - check or uncheck any random race/gender. (this forces a model reset)

While I have not had the Y-axis render issue myself, this is what I have told people having problems to do if the bug occurs. In most cases, this has (temporarily) resolved the issue. Doesnt prevent the bug from happening to begin with, but saves doing the full relog.
  7. ARCHIVED-Mermut Guest

Another thing you can do, especially if it's a quest update where you know the name of the NPC. Go the the NPCs location. Type /target <npc name>. That should target you on the NPC. The hit 'h'. I've found that will frequently pull the NPC to where he/she should be and I can start the convo and turn in the quest, etc.