[BUG] Kaedrin's Fate

Discussion in 'Quests and Live Events' started by ARCHIVED-Cyliena, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-PotatoeGuru Guest

/sigh
    Yet another 'insta-death' encounter for what is supposed to be a solo-friendly questline. I just don't understand the reasoning behind this, the final priest one and the froglok racial ring one.
    If you cannot heal and are a caster, then you pretty much cannot complete it.
    -- and the stupid guard that is forced on us? /facepalm
    Edit for additional thoughts now that I have cooled down.
    I understand this not being a tank-n-spank type of encounter and the desire to add a greater flavor to the quest experience, but the fact a dumbfire guard is causing insta-death is a like a cheese grater to the face. If I stupidly attack when I am not supposed to (and NOT when something else attacks and I physically didn't tell it to), then fine hit me with damage and punish MY stupidity -- just not enough to take me from full health to basically zero in one attack.
  2. ARCHIVED-katalmach Guest

My 90 Swashbuckler found it a rather easy fight. I died on the first attempt, as I didn't know what to expect going in, but got him down without a hitch on the second go. I set the guard to passive and then basically fought the guy as per usual. As soon as I saw his text message, I instantly turned off auto-attack and jumped backwards. While his effect was on, I basically just stood on the other side of the room and stared at him until it wore off. He got to do it twice, but once he was down to around 35%, I just hit all my temps and burned him down, banking on him dying before me.
    Maybe level 90 is a good level to do it at? I did notice that the mobs in general were much easier for my level 90 than my 92s. So if you're having trouble, try mentoring to 90. Maybe it'll help!
  3. ARCHIVED-JoshuaRowan Guest

After over 25 deaths, I just FINALLY did it with my Ranger. What a nightmare until I came out here and read the tips. I turned off the guard (why in the world did the devs add this complication?); got rid of my poisons; used the strategies of only doing a bit of damage at a time and avoiding hitting as much as possible when his spell came up; and then also mentoring down to 80. All of these combined, I still died 5 more times, but then I got lucky and got him.

I am a huge fan of this entire qeynos series of quests (very very immersive), but I have to be honest that this final quest was awful and had me seriously questioning my enjoyment of the game as a whole. I really hope the devs will consider redoing this for future players so they won't have to suffer through what most of us clearly did...

That said, WHOA, that was one nice reward we got in return
  4. ARCHIVED-Grycks Guest

Yes, for me it was the guard that was the problem. Have now done it three times and for the next two characters they got a pet control window. Pulling the guard off during the record/reflect moment seemed necessary. Now about the froglok racial quest with the Spirit who uses deathtouch...
  5. ARCHIVED-PotatoeGuru Guest

Thimdirran@Butcherblock wrote:
    The only way I could complete that one was to send my templar merc in (who seemed to be immune to whatever proc/touch that thing has) and let him tank. After my toon's obligatory death I didn't rez, but let the merc continue to fight until the mob was dead. At that point, the quest updated and I rezzed.
    I hated doing it that way, but it was the ONLY way to complete it.
  6. ARCHIVED-Paladin776 Guest

In my second try at him on my 81 Paladin that I am relearning how to play (been gone for about 3 years), I just moved away and around behind the pillar in his office when he would start with the casting. When it went off, I'd just come back at him until he started again. He got that effect off three times before I finally beat him down. Not sure if it was the pillar that helped or that I was out of melee range/line of sight and therefore wasn't doing damage, but it did seem to help.
  7. ARCHIVED-Grycks Guest

I completed it a fourth time yesterday with the froglok bard (who had all the trouble with the new racial quest series) and when I teamed up with the guard a pet window did NOT appear, but luckily I knew about the Alt-P and by pulling the guard off during the record/reflect routine I had NO trouble whatsoever.
  8. ARCHIVED-Fyreflyte Guest

Additionally (and this should hit the next hotfix), Kaedrin will no longer reflect damage dealt by your pet guard.
  9. ARCHIVED-PotatoeGuru Guest

Fyreflyte wrote:
    w00t! Thanks!!! 8)
  10. ARCHIVED-Juravael Guest

JoshuaRowan wrote:
    I could not agree more. I tried this fight today for the first time and died many, many times before I got so ticked off that I deleted the quest and logged out. Ruined the whole questline for me. What a waste of time.
  11. ARCHIVED-Cyrdemac Guest

When you double nerf this encounter, do I get a special reward for doing it in his un-nerfed state?
    It was hard, I died a lot, but I got the trick (with some red helping advice) and it was easy by then ;)
  12. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Hi,
    i also want a special reward for doing it unnerfed
    Besides, it was easy as i remembered some Raid-Strats and:
    - Took of my secondary Focus Item for Spell Weapon Attacks
    - Switched all my Proc Gear vs non proc gear
    - Didn't use any DoTs
    - Called the Captain off when the Non-damage Phase began
    - Didn't use any High DPS Spells and carefully watched his Health Bar.
    Until then i just died. After that, piece of cake.
    Regards, theriatis.
  13. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

Fyreflyte wrote:
    When I did it the first day he didn't reflect my pet guard's damage (that I noticed) but from most of the replies here it seems either a different patch had affected that or I lucked out. Glad to hear it's being addressed now, I've been afraid to take my alts through it with everything being reported here.
    While it's an interesting mechanic, considering that it's a solo questline he really should trigger that effect only once during the fight in my opinion. The rest of the Qeynos quests I did were terrific, but this one was frustrating and the worst of the bunch.
  14. ARCHIVED-denmom Guest

Something else to keep in mind: if you're a pet class or use similar, remember to change any and all /pet attack macros.
    My husband ran this tonight with his Illy, I gave him what I knew, but the guard kept attacking even tho he set it on peace. Then I noticed his chat window was showing he was sending his pet in to attack. Yeah, face palm time. He changed them out, then it worked out.
  15. ARCHIVED-Harzel Guest

One more thing to remember: you may have AA's that are passive spells that are damage shields; if so, you need to get out of melee range when he emotes. So it only took me two tries once I
    • turned off all the procs, etc, that I could control (without respecing)
    • made the guard passive
    • ran out of melee range when he emoted; and
    • was really patient - just hit him with your one biggest CA/spell, wait for emote, run to the other side of the room, rinse and repeat.
    This was on my troub; casters will probably need to click off (or just unequip) their spell weapon also.