Bristlebane Avatar

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Bevz, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Militant-Zanshin New Member

S

So you want more for nothing?

I wish games went back to the old EQ. Where one had to play and earn goals!!!!
  2. slippery Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with something for nothing. I want time spent to be productive. Killing a bunch of Avatars I've killed tons of times before for no loot for 1.5 hours to spawn a mob that drops best in slot cloaks is not remotely productive. It's a giant waste of time that has no solid purpose in existing.
    Neiloch likes this.
  3. Militant-Zanshin New Member

Purpose is to play a game. For fun.
  4. slippery Well-Known Member

And killing something you've killed tons of times for nothing is fun for you?

People don't really do things for nothing. There is always some purpose. In most games like this, the purpose in loot. In other types it is the story, or to beat it, or things like achievements, or competitive reasons. Would you kill a training dummy for 1.5 hours every 3 days? I certainly wouldn't, that isn't remotely fun.
  5. Avianna Well-Known Member

Then I have a great idea for you, Don't do it! There are many other aspects of this game other than that one mob that are there for you to enjoy.
  6. slippery Well-Known Member

Imagine that, you can't do it. It was suggested as a way to cause the spawn, and it's a solution which I think is terrible. Hence the whole post. Imagine that!

I guarantee people in every single raid guild would complain about killing a bunch of avatars in the arena for no loot as the means to spawn Bristlebane. It's not fun, it's pointless.
    Malleria and Neiloch like this.
  7. Neiloch Well-Known Member

They already do that now.

I thought the idea of bristlebane was fun until I realized he had best in slot items. A mob like bristlebane with atypical, funny fight mechanics spawning randomly is a great idea. But then they managed to COMPLETELY undercut all this goofy fun by putting loot on him people want to farm to oblivion. Then they compounded the problem by attaching his spawn rate to their legendarily bad RNG.

A token system could easily work as well, it would just have to be more like an actual set of items you expend to spawn bristlebane in the arena. Maybe something like the ill will or SG wrist, no-trade and you combine it 5 times to get the final item that spawns him.

P.S. I have my cloak so this isn't 'sour grapes.'
  8. Ucala Well-Known Member

my guild finally got him to spawn like last week or something. so we got him that 1 time now! atleast got him in before the new expac..
    Neiloch likes this.
  9. Quabi Active Member

It just comes back to the problem of rare loot in raids.
  10. Thanin New Member

This makes me harken back to the times when people would camp "a frenzied ghoul" in lower guk for literally hours/day/weeks/etc just to have a chance (a chance!) at getting the FBSS in eq1. I can't count how many placeholders I saw die before the named might pop, only to have it drop a fine steel long sword. I can remember camping it for 8 hours straight and never even saw the named spawn. People had to sign up to be on a waiting list just to get into the group camping it.

That's the tradition eq2 originally came from, so your complaint about, what, 1.5 hours did you say? It's a little weak tbh.
  11. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Different game. If his complaint is weak your counterpoint is DOA.
  12. slippery Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's a different parallel. I don't mind named not spawning every time in zones like Sanctum or Sebillis. There is more to gain in the zone, and you generally (although sometimes you are) aren't in it for just that one named. You're there for xp as well, or farming in general and farming all the stuff and going for multiple named. At that point some of the fun is in killing everything.

Not to mention, you could get lucky and get the named every time. Even farther beyond that, you can't compare solo type stuff to time spent in a raid. If I want to waste my time, that's my time to waste. I'm not going to waste 30 other peoples time, or have someone else waste my time.
  13. Gaealiege Active Member

My favorite part about this entire topic is the people directing ridiculously condescending messages at the guild leader of the number 1 guild worldwide. Perspective is all kinds of skewed on these forums.
  14. Ucala Well-Known Member

people are having a hard time accepting that a mob that is random (and what appears to be an awful random generator method) is a bad idea I guess. cause it honestly is. It's really everything that has already been said. why kill mobs that drop stuff that will Always go to alts or transmuting, for just a Chance to get another mob for best in slot cloaks? there is no reward for you time investment. (As I said eariler we just got our first and only bristlebane last week-ish, that's late, and I know other guilds out there probably still haven't even got it).
    It's along similar lines of why you can now clear the trash in PoW, and why (once you kill HM Gen'ra) you can clear the trash and EM names in that zone as well. No one wants to do things they Know they don't need

eq1 was all about time investment is why. eq2 is not.
  15. Gaealiege Active Member

Best-in-slot gear shouldn't be based on a lottery system. There shouldn't be any contention there. The entire idea of "being the best" is that you utilize your time, skill, and knowledge to acquire the best results within the game setting. I've never read a discussion that goes something like "Man, he's pretty good at rolling dice. Someday I hope to roll dice like him." Let's bring efficiency of time, skill mastery, and breadth of knowledge back into the equation, Sony.
    Neiloch likes this.
  16. Daray Well-Known Member

For those pants that we never see?

We have only seen one pair of pants the entire time, which is far fewer than Bristlebanes and cloaks :p
  17. Chronus Active Member

We had like 1 plate fighter drop once! I think we're at 4 Bristlebanes? More mad about the legs to be honest because they're probably a bigger upgrade for me than the cloak.
  18. Daalilama Well-Known Member

We finally got him to pop the other day....still few bugs with the script but yeah have to agree the poor RNG does need a revamp. If not he does definitely need to drop few more items then the 2 he dropped for us last night.
  19. Ucala Well-Known Member

I didn't see any bugs in the script
  20. Daalilama Well-Known Member

We got the red text about multiple jesters being up when none were up and the ones that did pop were dropped fast...