BRING BACK PVP

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Tyler Moore, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Dude Well-Known Member

I think it's cute that you think I'm trying to convince you of anything. I'm not. I'm making a statement. General chat is important to my game play. I believe that it is important to the game play of others. It clearly isn't to you. That's great. It's not all about you, but I doubt you'll ever understand that. Move along. There's nothing to see here.
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  2. Liral Active Member

Not a PVPer but would like to see it brought back if it brought people back to the game and could maintain a stable population. Healthier population = a healthier game. IMHO this is BY FAR the best MMO out there and if people who love PvP could successfully be brought back and stay I would be all for it even though I wouldn't play on the server.

That said to the suggestion of making PvP meld with PvE as mentioned with the flag yourself, etc options. I don't think that would work as the wanted/needed mechanics for PvP vs PvE seem to be quite different from each other and that could hurt both and ultimately the game itself. If brought back it would need to stand on it's own two feet as a separate server.
    Heijo, rutro and Griffon Lady like this.
  3. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Exactly. A few bullies enjoyed it, the rest quit. I was infuriated when some PVPers had the gall to request a PVE server get merged onto their PVP server. Like feeding live babies to a bunch of crocodiles... which I'm sure the crocodiles would have enjoyed immensely. -.- And without a twinge in their conscience.
    They have Battlegrounds or they can request to be moved to Drunder (but then they have to pay and help support the game), so they aren't completely without PVP, just not the openworld gank-the-solo-player fest. Seems like a decent compromise, considering PVP was nonexistent (was it even planned originally?) at launch.
    Maybe one of the event servers will be PVP? You never know.
  4. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Because PVPers will do every trollish thing they can to try and get people to flag themselves as PVP. Kill stealing, shiny stealing, just being a general ****** JUST to try and get someone to flip that switch... like we really need more toxic players...

Because if it's introduced on every server (Which will cost time and rescources) the company that put the time and effort into it is going to try and require it somehow, and (As you so adamantly ignore) almost no one WANTS to PVP here. Most of the people I know HATE PVP and the rest just don't like it. I know you don't care about any thing but your desire for PVP, so their preferences don't matter to you or other PVP fans, but in a business world, listening to the majority is pretty much a rule for success. (Unless you are NIANTIC/Pokemon Go, in which case you do the opposite, but that's another story)

Because PVP has already proven to be a waste of rescources.

Because you can go to Battlegrounds and have PVP in a more fair environment as opposed to ganking and ganging up on solo players that are just trying to quest.
    Heijo and Xakrein like this.
  5. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

XD Judging from your opening statement, any attempt at mature and level headed explanation is a waste of time, but here goes. (And that goading attitude is exactly why PVP should never be on every server as an option, nor accessible from every server except through battlegrounds.)
    I suggested something similar to the open to any one PVP server when they announced Nagafen was being shut down. I really do like the idea of a Beta style PVP server. Separate, not required in any way, open to all servers, /copy a toon over instead of being gank-bait while leveling up... It's the only way I could see PVP open world working in EQ2.
    They could even make it an event server for a few months, just to try it out. It might work, it might not.
    0.0 OMG.. All the drama and fights in General channel could be told to take it to the PVP event server if they opened cross server travel!!!

But I just remembered... PVPers will be trolling, kill stealing, goading, etc... to try and get people to go to PVP server, just like the problem with open world optional PVP. >.< Would be slightly safer, with fewer ways to accidentally get flagged PVP, since you'd have to go to the PVP server. Hell, they did they same BS to try and get people to duel at Sinking Sands Docks.. they still do, just not as often. I remember people following me, stealing my mobs and nodes, then inviting me to duals ALL the flipping TIME! -.- I wound up disabling my "Accept invites to duel" because the popup window was really annoying when I was trying to beat them to whatever I was trying to get.
    You have to wonder about people with mentalities like that. Not enough spankings as a 2 year old?

Also, even though it's almost impossible to level on a PVP server once a few bullies level up and conglomerate, it would also be difficult to travel cross server to one. PVPers would just sit and wait for any one zoneing in, or around the edge of any safe zones.... again, Battlegrounds deals with this problem like an open world PVP environment cannot.
    PVP is just doomed since all the "winning" play styles make everyone else want to quit. :\ Small scale Battlegrounds seems to be the best method to not discourage the largest portion of players.
    Heijo and Meneltel like this.
  6. Raenius Well-Known Member

I have never played on any PvP server so far - I just want to have a way introduced to obtain PvP-achievements on PVE servers without having to transfer off - that is all.

I am sure pvp on a pve server can be coded without any influence to pve players - just have to do it smart.

Re-cycle arena for closed/set up team vs team, since I always thought when they introduced arena in the first place it has been done poor - playing an arena champion with 5 unique spells wasn`t fun, especially when killcounters / won rounds were broken for years.
  7. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Actually, a number of the people who experienced it, like me for instance, but weren't just out to gank people unfairly (AKA, weren't rabid for ganking), are the ones who absolutely, positively DESPISE PVP. Sorry to burst your bubble there pal.
    I've been teabagged after getting ganked.
    I've been questing and gotten to 1/4 hp just to get blasted away before I got quest credit.
    I've gotten revenge on someone that had been unfairly ganking me all damn day only to get his whole guild hunting me the rest of the week.
    A friend and I have been stuck watching as a gang of gankers ran around the bottleneck area in our quests required till we gave up and logged out.
    I've seen max level players spend over a week running back and forth in one area just to keep any one questing there from getting any thing done. (Apparently, those types are just as charming IRL and have nothing better to do than patrole a bottleneck in land features and stop people from leveling?)
    I've even done PVP in other games where it's an option. You'd be AMAZED at the number of exploits and other methods to get people to flag themselves accidentally or out of frustration. And extreme PVP enthusiasts find them all and make life miserable for everyone who is just trying to play the game PVE style. I've even fallen for the "please heal me" of one low lvl "ally" only to find out it was an alt account of someone just waiting for someone to get flagged PVP by healing that bait.
    Also, I mentioned earlier how frustrating the "Dual Me!!" people were in an earlier post.
    General is what it is, but PVPers make all that drama look like a Disney classic.

The only redeeming value I see of a PVP server is separating a bunch of ********* from the rest of the population. I do admit though, for that one value, I do wish there was still a PVP server.
    Heijo and Xakrein like this.
  8. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Guide events. I've asked Devs many times for a channel only Guides can access, and what's her face said that was a great Idea and that she'd harass the devs to get it... but she left the company. >.< Still have to slog through general if you want the rare Guide quests and prizes. :\ Things that are not important to you, I'm sure, but to some (particularly the Newsies and Thalumbra quests) those events are extremely important.
    Heijo and Dude like this.
  9. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Aye. I'd love to see the house rewards available as loyalty token items, or with a high plat price on a vendor. (The game desperately needs some plat sinks anyway! lol) Gear I can understand more effort being needed, but I rarely see PVP players that also decorate... They tend to be a bit xenophobic, to put it nicely, about decorating (Just from what I've heard them say about decorating. -.-)
    BTW, the rewards from the Pet arena (if that's what you were talking about) are available on the loyalty merchant. A bummer that the arena was beyond repair, but at least we can get the items. Not sure if they show up on the marketplace or if you have to go to the NPC (I went to the NPC). Also I'm not sure if you have to be a subscriber or not (I've been a subscriber since 2004, with a break in 2007 due to IRL situation). But yah, you can get the prizes you you want them, even the little flags. ^_^
  10. Satyr Well-Known Member

The salt in this thread is unreal.
  11. Adevil Well-Known Member

Drunder isn't a subscription only server anymore.
  12. Vlahkmaak Active Member

PVP did not die because it was unpopular (excepting unpopular decisions over a truly immersive and exhilaratingly hostile pvp/e environment) - it died for a combination of several reasons that have been hashed out for years on these forums (ftp, station shop, lack of attention, too much attention, over tweaking, name it). PVP requires a large thriving community and EQ2 does not even have that for the PVE game anymore. That being said I highly doubt PVP will ever make a come back. That being said - the old days of massive multi faction fights (Q,X, FP), especially those fights over open world raid content was, and will probably remain, some of my all time favorite memories of EQ2.

If they do bring back a special race type rule set server I would love to see a hardcore (death equal roll over) temporary server where everyone is exiled faction and universally kos outside of ones guild/grp.
    Ishtara likes this.
  13. Satyr Well-Known Member

That's probably the best implementation just because it means population isn't going to be so much of a problem with people hived off in to 3 factions. My fantasy server would be like this, with factions that allow cross grouping and chat but not cross faction guilding.
  14. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Heck, I would like to see a PvE temporary server where its Hardcore (as Blizzard would say) where if you die, you start over. Or maybe if you get a rez from a player (and make mercs not allowed). Would make more classes useful to groups hehe. No longer would people not wait for the puller to pull since if they die and the group doesn't, if the group doesn't rez them, its time to make a new toon! Would teach people to be nice to others!
  15. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

XD I miss so many update notes with this class load this term. When did they make Drunder FTP? That's pretty cool of them, but I guess not all of them are lyin' cheatin' scum since people can request to be sent there and FTP are still potential customers, that was the best decision for that situation.
    But hey, there ya go PVPers. Drunder is PVP/anything goes, IIRC? And you don't even have to pay!
  16. Satyr Well-Known Member

No it isn't.
  17. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

You must have never played at a higher competitive playing field. You also have the complete idea of what goes on completely wrong. I can find a hypocritical statement in everything you have said. You pretend Pvers don't act like asshats? Do we fail to mention the egos that came about all the so called elite raid guilds off the pve servers before this game turned into the dead zone for populations? The most dominant guilds world wide getting floor matted in the game over mechanics they couldn't understand. First they called pvpers cheaters. Then that didn't work, so they asked for all the procs to be disabled, but that didn't work either, so then they asked for the same set bonuses to come in from lower teirs. That didn't work either, because finally they found out the hard way after bashing pvpers and pushing towards the never ending nerf to the pvp servers with class adjustments and proc removals that the real issue was they were not as good as they thought they were. You see BG's created toxic Pve players. Sore losers. Who down bashed every mechanic they could think of until the stats got so out of hand everyone went from actually needing a brain to play against each other to literally just hitting one button. The only way they could compete. What did that do for the other side? It made the game suck. As of right now the same people you talk about are now in the top elite raid forces. You deal with them all the time and don't even know about it.

While I agree SOE and Daybreak could/can't get pvp to work correctly in this game. I don't agree with your comments at all. You can find toxic players anywhere. The only thing this sounded like was a stand off against players who like competitive playing whether it be pvp or pve, verse the softer side who doesn't like to improve on what they are doing.
  18. Adevil Well-Known Member

I think it was last winter sometime, quite a while back anyway. There wasn't much fanfare about it, I just happened to notice it mentioned near the bottom of either patch notes or an announcement of some sort.
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  19. Satyr Well-Known Member

It's a dead server, I don't think anyone actually plays there. They put a lot of effort in to it though, it has a really fancy, animated character select screen which is much better than the one live players get.
  20. Nuada Active Member

yes with no pvp balance patch it is dieing, mutch player wait for pvp "with" support!!
    this 2 new TLE server was only fixet PVE side, PVP was terrible balanced never see in my life a bader balance