BRING BACK PVP

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Tyler Moore, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Xerikton Active Member

no flesh from experience in playing mmo's with world pvp on a pve server. something you have yet to do. i will always disagree with pvp EVER being on a pve server in open world for the FACT from my YEARS of playing on them that it is TOXIC and is saturated with immature playing mechanics from such players. such players rationalize this immature behavior as being acceptable since it is pvp and anything should go. i take it you just might be one of these players as i apparently stepped on your toes. are you?
    Heijo and Griffon Lady like this.
  2. Drusi_EQ2 Well-Known Member

There are always going to be people who are indignant and upset if you don't want to play with them, whether it be PvPers insisting that PvEers should be unwillingly exposed to their playstyle, or PvE players who think others should be forced to group with them. While I probably wouldn't complain if DBG put up an open PvP server and just let it run as is, I wouldn't want them focusing their limited development time on it when the majority of players seem PvE focused and want little to nothing to do with PvP.
    Kari likes this.
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Had a friend who tried WoW and was liking it. He was AoEing some mobs when a flagged enemy player purposely stepped into the AoE so that my friend could get flagged and then hunted down and camped until I logged on and showed up and killed him, giving my friend time to get away. He quit WoW not long after that. PvP was not his style at all. If he wanted it, he would have played on a Pvp server. I did play on a pvp server, so I knew the tricks... and the ganker didn't... and he died... repeatedly before HE gave up and logged.
    Heijo, Griffon Lady, Adevil and 2 others like this.
  4. Surgeon Active Member

Forget convincing bluebies and especially girls, Irgin.
    Just forget it.

PvP is a no cost long-term motivator.
    Remove everything AA/prestige-wise past DoV in PvP, add a 4th AA layout and you'll have a no-effort PvP game, that is optional.

Screw BGs, those were never fun. If anything add an alternate shattered lands as a permanent "BG" (as in alt+z travel to).
    PvP server rules.
    That means everyone from every server can play on this PvP server, like an alternate world.
    You zone into the PvP server and start out as a level 1 character with no money. Just a copy of your PvE character.
    When you return you're as you were on PvE.
    When you zone back you load your progress and everything.
    Camping takes 30 seconds and zones you back to your original world.

Why has no one thought of that before?
    alt+z, join alternate reality, pvp or pve (deathtoll or stormhold).
  5. Lucus Well-Known Member

'just a copy of your pve charater' and 'level 1' are not compatible unless you only want to copy the very basics, name, race, apperence and we don't even know if a partial copy is even possible let alone worth the time.

don't forget the same exact problems deathtoll had would apply, the most dedicated kiddies would get high level to get the best gear to roadblock every other solo player from even reaching the same level,let alone getting the same gear while they gloat how good their K/D in their little thug grps while they refuse to admit they'll run from any other group.

originally drunder was a pay to access server then they caved on that, it was a pay2play prison server where they sent the worst cheaters/exploiters and rulebreakers, do you really think a new pvp server would last very long?

It's not about not wanting to play with them, it's about not wanting to play a specific activity with them. i like a few aspects solo-duo, heroics, raids, tradeskills, decorating.

if someone doesn't want to play a specific aspect with others then be mature about it and accept they are not NPCs they are people with differing interests, some people just can't accept they can't get what they want all the time.
  6. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

If there were enough people to justify bringing back open world PVP, Deathtoll would still be up and kicking. Once the novelty wore off and the toxicity set in, it was dead. The majority of the EQ2 PVP community have moved on to other games and they aren't coming back. Open world PVP in EQ2 is dead, and no amount of wishing or ******** is going to bring it back. They brought it back once already, and dropped it like a hot potato as soon as it proved nonviable.
    Lucus and Dude like this.
  7. Rolien Active Member

Why is it always people who are for PvP that resort to insults?

PvP is not a no cost and isn't a long-term motivator. First it costs the dev's time when they could be creating content that the majority of the player base will enjoy, not creating something that a small portion of the player base will play for a couple hours and get bored.

Because AA/prestige past DoV is what killed PvP. There are so many unbalanced classes it's insane people were complaining about Summoners and scouts on Deathtoll before freaking DoF released and there were no AA/Prestige at that time.

This would take quiet a bit of time developing and like I said a small portion of players would check it out and then quit and never use it again, and again It would be pointless to waste the dev time on it when they could create something the majority will play.
  8. Satyr Well-Known Member

Stop repeating lies. The failure of Deathtoll is completely the fault of DBG, and I'm forced to set the record straight in every, single PVP thread. Stop blaming players for DBGs failures.

- Every ranger, assassin, and non-raiding bard quit in KoS when ranged weapons STOPPED WORKING in PVP. DBG didn't acknowledge the bug for the entirety of the KoS expansion until the server's closure, the bug was fixed in the last month with the 'launch' of battlegrounds.
    - We asked for one ability to be fixed - Dispatch. We didn't ask for full class balancing. We asked for this from the launch of Shattered Lands because we knew it'd be broken, and it wasn't fixed until the very end of DoF/start of KoS. Dispatch was not working in the same that it used to, and was allowing brigands to one-shot the best geared tanks on the server, only paladins could really beat them.
    - DBG didn't fix cliff diving even though it was fixed on Live.
    - Like Stormhold, raiding was broken. The highlight of PVP is open world raid contesting, and besides the two dragons at the bottom of Temple of Scale, every other open world PVP encounter was broken and never fixed. Those encounters may still be unkillable in RoK.
    - We were told PVP gear would never be introduced.
    - Like Stormhold, raid progression was completely destroyed. I was the leader of the last raid guild on the server, and this was our primary motivation for leaving. We left for another game along with another guild in the opposing faction.
    - The nature of the PVP rules set makes it more vulnerable to drops in population. People in the 3 different factions can't group with each other, so losing population hurts Deathtoll more than Stormhold.

There were probably a few others reasons but I've forgotten them because it's already been a little while. DBG should hang its head in shame, and similarly, despite people trying to blame players on Stormhold, IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF PLAYERS that Stormhold is having problems now.
    Aquaskaientos, Meneltel and Surgeon like this.
  9. Surgeon Active Member

I didn't play on Deathtoll because I didn't think PvP without AA would be fun.
    And it didn't have the old combat mechanics.
    + I wasn't up for the grind and the end was forseeable.
    That world had no future to begin with.
    People expected something awesome and of course were disappointed.
    If the reason why it died was that groups blocked access to mobs for gear then idk what to say other than get more people. Also be glad that they did it.
    Ok little PvP story, the first mmorpg I played was pvp only or pvp enabled and much severe consequences for dying. But you could grind out your character in 2 weeks or 3-4 if you were lazy.
    I was a total noob and some guy always blocked travel routes with his friends and at first I hated that guy, what a dick, leave those poor people alone!1one.
    He also tried to kill me with one of his alts but that attempt when the other way for him for I fought him off and we started talking. We've been friends ever since. He even convinced me to give SOE another chance after that SWG fiasco. We formed a guild in EQ2 that still exists to this day, just I'm the idiot who still occasionally plays this game.
    I'm saying the people who do this add spice to the game.

Regarding copy, yes, race, appearance, name. No items need to be copied or anything else.
    Essentially create a new character just that the parameters are pre-defined from live.
    First come first serve, duplicates get a x or z or w/e added.
    Press alt+z, queue, and there you are.
    You start on the island as lvl2 or the ship as lvl1 if devs are too lazy.
    If you're "evil" you start on the output if "good" the colony.
    Start at level 20 for all I care, with 6 24 slot bags and handcrafted gear and adept spells.
    When ever you had enough just camp back to PvE.
    The mental obstacle of joining that server is minimal.
    But make it fun, not tedious.
    Have a 100% exp bonus for subscribers at all times.
    And let the veteran bonus carry over.
    Enable those amenities you have on live. Don't make it a pita to play there.
    Rollercoaster themepark pvp server go.
    It can't be worse than BGs.

Also class based PvP isn't about everyone being equal.
    It's about the group aspect and that was very well done in DoV altough healing could've been weaker by ~5%.
    TSO also had it right, even with gear rewards.
    But EoF was perfect.

Idk why you're bringing in Drunder. It has nothing to do with PvP.

Now regarding Rolien,
    you know what, I'm not even going to respond to that.
    You lack the ability to see the whole picture and focus on irrelevant side issues.
  10. Justbecause Active Member

It's too bad more people don't see this. Half of the people who comment on PVP never attempted to try it or they went in BG's claiming to have 'experienced' it. Ignorance is bliss right?

Deathtoll was never going to make it. They told everyone flat out that the mechanics would create issues with balance and itemization before it even launched and there was such a demand for PVP that it was just thrown out there as is. With high hopes that it would eventually be fixed and brought to order when the devs had time was at least my reasoning for running characters and a guild on it. It never happened. Deathtoll was a car missing a wheel that came out of the factory and surprise, surprise it didn't make it. It was released that way, we didn't destroy it. I knew day one it would be bad but when I saw summoner pets with 3x the health of a tank and sharing stats I realized it was gone before the first vote.

Yea, some PVP players are toxic, but go through General Chat on your PvE server and then turn around and come back to tell me some of that isn't on your server as well. Adding fuel to the fire doesn't do anything to help.
    Aquaskaientos and Meneltel like this.
  11. Satyr Well-Known Member

What really broke my spirit in KoS was discovering the best MT group was conjuror MT with a paladin mt healer.
    Meneltel likes this.
  12. Lucus Well-Known Member

the difference is that the toxic players are in general chat and not trolling people out in the word which means you can add them to your ignore list and keep playing and progressing.
    Griffon Lady, Xakrein and Kari like this.
  13. Xakrein Well-Known Member

You don't even need to ignore people for General Chat to be a non-issue. Years ago, I moved general chat (level chats at the time) to a different chat tab. I only selected the tab to skim over the contents, if I had due reason to do so. And if the tab contained discussion I did not care for, I paid it no heed.

An easy solution that is often deemed "too much effort" by those who are inclined to be professionally offended.

Not in direct response to Lucus:
    PVP servers in EQ2 - They are history, done and dusted, dead and buried. After what happened with the TLE PVP server, they will not waste time going down that road again. PVP will not be shoehorned onto Live servers. It is time to let go.
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  14. Dude Well-Known Member

The problem with that is that sometimes general chat is very important. A great example of that is during the current Heroes' Festival. Coordinating the efforts to kill all the puppets in a coherent manner that benefits the most people requires that people communicate in general chat. If general chat is filled with statements from the truly offensive trolls (not just the annoying ones) and other people reacting to it (i.e. feeding the troll) then, yeah, that affects gameplay and isn't about being "professionally offended."
  15. Xakrein Well-Known Member

If that is the best example of general chat being "very important", you demonstrate that it is a non-issue. I have been fully capable of getting to the puppets with selective and limited use of General Chat, as described above.
  16. Dude Well-Known Member

You say that you have gotten them with no problem. Congratulations. What about everyone else? Did you work with everyone else so that a good rotation developed and you could move from one to the other without break and kill them over and over? Or did you just get what you needed and move on?
  17. Katz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, every game has that toxic element that deliberately stirs things up for attention or because they are bored. You have to use /ignore for the worst ones and work around it. I wish general chat wasn't that way but, IMO it gets worse over time because the people who don't like it minimize their time in general chat which leaves a small select group of trolls and troll feeders as the majority in that chat space most of the time. I don't really see any way to realistically improve the situation.

As for PvP. I understand why people enjoy it. I've played PvP in other games and some of it I enjoy, some I don't. I enjoy the part involving pitting your skills against another person. When it's done right PvP is challenging, interesting, and a lot of fun. However, it can also be like general chat with people who grief others unbearably. I think its time to face the obvious in EQ2, PvP isn't a viable style here. You might as well accept it is a PvE game and either play it for PvE or play a PvP game somewhere else.
    Griffon Lady and Xakrein like this.
  18. Xakrein Well-Known Member

Indeed.

Thank you.

I assume they were doing great.

The statement I previously made about the capacity to selectively use General Chat would apply regardless of if I said yes, or no. You have failed to make anything resembling a valid argument to indicate that General Chat can't be used in the manner of which I described, nor justify the claim that General Chat is very important, to a capacity it can't be moved to a different tab.
  19. Dude Well-Known Member

I understand. You got what you needed and moved on. General chat wasn't useful to you because you weren't part of the coordinated effort. That doesn't mean it isn't important. It just means it's not important to you.
  20. Xakrein Well-Known Member

That is baseless speculation on your part, that in no way assists the claim you are trying to make.

Your conjecture is is well off the mark, and you have still done absolutely nothing to justify your claim of General Chat being so very important, that it can not be moved to a different tab and be utilized in the manner I previously described. If you have an actual point to support your claim, please share. Absent such, I should let this get back to a discussion about why PVP is dead and buried in EQ2, and will likely never return.