Brand new player.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by jwalker524, Dec 16, 2012.

1. jwalker524 New Member

Hello everyone,

I just started playing, and decided to get a gold membership, at least for a month to try things out. I have not purchased the AoD or CoE expansions yet, and I don't know if I will unless I decide to stick around for good. I have tried out a couple of classes so far, Dirge, Defiler and a Necromancer, I've not gotten anything past about 11 yet, so I don't have much experience. The games seems quite complex already, and I suppose it gets more so, which is ok by me. I played the first EQ back in the day, but this seems nothing like it. So I'm here to ask for some advice.

Firstly, as far as classes go, I figure I will probably be soloing up to about 90 or so (and then if I get the xpacs) before grouping starts to become the norm. I don't mind soling my way up, but at max level I would like to do group content, perhaps even raid. Is it best then to roll a support class? Since that seems like fun to me, healing seems ok too, except that healers are expected to DPS as well. Anyway my main question is that if I roll something like a Necro or Conjurer, or other DPS class, will I be able to find a guild and do group content? Or would it be much too hard to break in at this point in the game? Would it just be better to roll something useful?

Also I was wondering about leveling, as far as adventure levels go, is it best to quest or just grind? Or quest up to a point and grind the rest of the way up? I'm just not sure. Also is crafting necessary? Or can I get away with not worrying about it for now? And with crafting, is gathering an important thing?

Oh, and is good or evil an important choice? I have done both, but like I said haven't really gotten anywhere in the game yet, so starting over again is no worry.

Anyway, I have a ton more questions, but for now I think that these ones will do. Sorry if I have rambled a bit, and I thank you in advance for any answers. Oh, also general advice of any sort is greatly appreciated.
  2. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I don´t think it do matter anyhow that much, i would suggest a class that you like to play, not a class that is urgent needed. Game supossed to be fund anyhow ^^
    Btw. even coercerers and other support classes needs to deal some dmg, sometimes they do pace with other dps classes (at least when someone didn´t have the gear or knowledge of the dps class).
    Crafting isn´t that important, having you´re toond setup to lvl 10-12 crafting (didn´t take that long), will suit. Some quests you need to build something, normaly pretty low pretty easy, but at least you need to be somesort of crafter. (Ran into this by doing accquest with my beast, which got 0 lvl crafting ^ ^).
    Good or evil, is more like what class you want to play. There is no good SK ^^

You can choose you´re way up, but grind would be fastest way to get up.
  3. Snowhaze Active Member

I almost exclusively quested my way up, after grinding in EQ1 for so many years, it was a breath of fresh air, some of the quest lines are very interesting. I'd just rather do that than run around in the same dungeon over and over for levels on end, even though its probably a lot faster. You get nice gear for most slots as well as you quest (check the Golden Path for info on where to quest at what levels).

Crafting isn't all that important, but is a nice little something to do some nights when you're all grinded/quested out. You will need to gather for it, its much more convenient to keep it up as you level, but not so bad to go back and grind it out at later levels as mobs won't bother you if you're too high level, its just more boring.

I would also recommend joining a guild early, very convenient for information, travelling and especially tradeskilling if you end up doing that.