Boxxing is not Botting

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by RealityCheck, Jul 7, 2017.

1. RealityCheck New Member

To that end if you see someone you feel is breaking the rules just report them and let DBG do their jobs.

Do not engage in harassment against people you may think are botting when they are in-fact boxxing. You could be subject to disciplinary actions for the harassment.

Thank You
  2. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

And yet, you created a 'new anonymous' account to post this.
    Siren likes this.
  3. RealityCheck New Member

Does it make my message any less valid if i'm not under your crosshairs of judgment?
    Conifur likes this.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

No, but it does beg the question of why you'd make a new account to make the post rather then make it on your 'normal' account.
    Siren likes this.
  5. RealityCheck New Member

This is exactly my point, if you're suspicious report it, but don't try to engage in a witch hunt just to harass paying players who have an alternate playstyle that you don't approve of. It's this type of ridicule I'm trying to avoid.
    Sambril likes this.
  6. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I wonder who this could be...
    Siren likes this.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

I don't know, or care, who you are. I do find it curious that you feel a need to hide your identity, however.
  8. Malleria Well-Known Member

Why would someone wish to hide their identity when speaking out against harassment they've received? Not exactly a big mystery there. Very common in the real world.
  9. Medicinal Active Member

I love how you guys prove his point by jumping on him for doing something completely within the rules, just because you think he may be doing something shady.

It is a whole lot easier to prove harassment than it is to prove a boxer is botting. (Especially when they aren't, boxing a couple characters really isn't that hard guys.) Leave the policing to DBGs and we will all have a much nicer community.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

I don't know who they are either, but it doesn't much matter, they have a valid point.
  11. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has suggested boxing and botting are equivalent. Maybe they have and I just ignored them. I tend to glance over completely dumb comments like that.

Either way, yeah, you make a good point, but creating a new account just to say this screams "lady doth protest too much". It's a completely uncontroversial stance to have - which leads me to believe you are one of the people accused of said behavior. I understand that - my guild gets accused of it constantly (when the reality is we just have no lives and too much disposable income).
    Draknox likes this.
  12. Zenji Well-Known Member

I was accused of botting shortly after hitting 50, because apparently "you can't have a job and play 8 hours a day". A large portion of the community jumps to accusations too quickly.

The OP is 100% correct. If you think someone is botting or in anyway breaking the rules. Report them, Petition them, take a screen shot and email to the the devs. But harassing them in game does not fix anything, and if you happen to be wrong it jeopardizes your account if they report you.
    Ellah and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  13. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Its easy to see who is boxing and who is botting.

People who control 6 characters and all instantly begin attacking gets a report. If theres a delay between them all (as in seconds) they are not botting.

Pretty easy to see the difference.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  14. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Just watch em move. If toons are on autofollow, it's a boxer. If everyone moves in a tight cluster or directly on top of each other simultaneously, it's a botter.

Also, reporting anyone in this game is next to useless.
    Prissetta likes this.
  15. Malleria Well-Known Member

You realise if 5 toons are auto following a 6th, those 5 will move in a tight cluster and stay directly on top of each other, right? :p
    Finora likes this.
  16. Revel Well-Known Member

And "boxxers" need to remember if they use any method of sending 1 key stroke to multiple clients they are in fact violating the rules.
    Kristabella likes this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Nah, it worked for me...I think. There was a WoW-refugee (I'm all but certain) that was only in Qeynos for the Heroes' Festival in 2016 for the express purpose of slaughtering all our guards (maxed-level Shadowknight), which was bothering the hell out of me, at least. I took a screenshot, opened a /petition, let the Powers know about him (at least the character was male; dunno about the player /shrug), and got a very quick email response about it. I was told that I wasn't going to be told what the ultimate result would be, but I haven't seen or heard of such mayhem, at least with that character, ever since. ;->

So, I'd like to think it worked. ;->

Uwk
    Prissetta likes this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

If we're /afk without /camping, we're also apparently violating the rules. ;->

I'll not get too flustered; if I see something that looks shady, I'll first presume they could use a warning, and try to be gentle. If I get a human-ish response back, nice or obnoxious, I'll not worry about it further. If I get back something that sounds like a robo-call, or nothing, not even a /rude, I'll gather evidence and file a report again. If it turns out to be innocent, my bad, and I'll apologize if I ever come across said person again (I have a ton of alts, and play at odd hours). But I'm probably selfish; I reported the other schmuck because it was bothering me, and I was witnessing it going on in front of me. If I'd just heard about it later, I'd growl, cluck my tongue, and not report someone just based on hearsay. /shrug

Uwk
    who hasn't personally been affected by bots directly...yet
    Prissetta likes this.
  19. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

I mean it's really not hard to see if someone is botting.

Everyone sits here and says

"I can have six clients all pressing buttons at the same exact time and i am not botting!!!!!!!!!"

No.

As someone who has used botting before and the fact that i know what it looks like it's not hard to say that most people are actually botting.

Majority of the people botting are sticking to overland zones and killing zero up mobs so then that way they don't get reported.

Look at the leaderboards for the most items crafted/kills. I grinded all the way up and i have 1/2 of what some others have. If they were boxing they wouldn't be afraid of being in the dungeons.

If someone has over 100k items crafted they are obviously botting.
  20. Medicinal Active Member

With a couple of computers, and number pads for the non-main boxes and the right hotkeys I can assure you I could likely do a full group and make it look simultaneous. No programs needed. It would get old after a while, which is why I haven't bothered but trueboxing > alt tab for this sort of thing. If they ever turn mentoring back on I will likely add a third box to my team, because three is easy. One hand controls the mouse and the main character, one hand mashes the macros on two number pads at once. Everyone casts at the same time and there is no delay.

It's not rocket science, and with how much practice the EQ1 folks have been getting with trueboxing on the servers over there it wouldn't surprise me in the least that other folks have realized what I have. Having multiple machines makes it easier to manage than boxing on a single machine.