Bony Grasp Changed on Test

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-madbx, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-FelixDomesticus Guest

Incorrect. He admitted that it was a mistake that went LIVE before it even landed to TEST server. Also he admitted that file that caused the change was supposed to come in healer/combat patch, not before. They just made that official change by adding it LATER to patch logs.
  2. ARCHIVED-Daerv Guest

What on earth does this have to do with Warlocks? Don't you have your own forum to whine and argue on?
  3. ARCHIVED-FelixDomesticus Guest

Directly with warlocks - nothing. Blackguard just managed to prove that SOE does have pet classes and that they do not treat all classes equally.

And yes, we do have our own forums where Blackguard never posts. Only SOE person I have seen there is Faarwolf and even she only when some thread gets too heated for SOE and they lock/remove it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Aurorelle Guest

What on earth does this have to do with Warlocks? Don't you have your own forum to whine and argue on?

2 days ago the men in black uniforms came in the night and took away my neighbour on the left. The rest of us said nothing, it wasn't our problem.

Yesterday the men in black uniforms came and took away my neighbour on the right. I said nothing. Wasn;t my problem.

Now there is just me left. I can see the men in black uniforms coming down the road. I wonder who they are coming for tonight.....

seriously, people are entitled to post on relevant issues and the comparison is fair.

Broadly speaking I agree with the view that BG was overpowered, mostly by its long duration and unbreakable nature. Personally I'd rather see it keep the duration but become breakable, and be changed to an encounter root not an AE. As it stands a warlock can cast BG followed by devastaion and laugh as an entire encounter dies. It looks great but its too powerful.

I also feel that it gets tiring to see them nerf without ever fixing broken spells that are broken and have been broken for ages. It would feel better if they put in a positive fix at least every time they put in a nerf. Both are needed but they seem to have the attitude that fixing overpowered is critical and fixing underpowered or useless is a low priority issue. They are wrong, as underpowered classes are 'unfun' and people leave the game. Thats why WoW has 2 million subscribers and EQ2 has 280,000.

Aurore
    Message Edited by Aurorelle on 06-24-2005 10:23 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-Kvenau Guest

With all due respect, that's why WoW is full of f*cking *******. I also want a challenge. IF we didn't have Bony Grasp, I'd still play my warlock. In fact, I'll be glad when everything IS balanced and we can't solo ^^'s anymore without SERIOUS risk of dying. Same w/ any other class.

To Buddercup,

This spell IS going to change. And I'll be glad to see a player such as yourself leave because if you played a warlock FOR bony grasp ( an obvious overpowered spell ) then you're just a flavor-of-the-month player. I was really trying to not be rude, but you're making it difficult.

Then you tell people to think before we post?! ROFL.

Quick impression for you: THIS ISN'T FAIR, YOU'RE RUINING MY OVERPOWERED SPELL!!! IF YOU DO THIS I'LL QUIT!

Remind you of anyone? Maturity goes a long way. If you're going to leave, just do it. You think you can POSSIBLY change anything with posts like that?

BEEP BEEP -- 'What's that?' - Ahh... the CLUE BUS is here for ya. Hop on!

People never cease to amaze me.
  6. ARCHIVED-yzyh Guest

Is that an AoE root that last only 12sec and that requier 4sec to cast can be of any use ?
  7. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Roflmao ppl ability to kill ++ yellow and orange mobs for warlock have nothing to do with bony grasp - I did that before lvl 40 and still can kill on bet heroic mobs w/o using this spell it will just take a little longer. Over all it will be good change that separate smart warlocks from dump one who jumped in bandwagon just use silly technic BG-Nuke-Nuke-Nuke Nuke-TNN - FM-BG X N time
    We have at out disposal 3 stun lines and YES even Deter have its uses ... if you are smart one of course, we have 3 root lines and YES Cower have its uses as well. Even total removal BG from my arsenal would not prevent me from killing heroic ++ mobs
    Buttom line: Does nerfing BG make me happy? - HELL NO - I got use to this lazy and relaxing spell that elliminate need in any other classes if it can stick on mob.
    Do BG in its current stage totale overpowered? - HELL YES ... But not more then templar reactives or monks stifles or bruisers fears .... - each class have similar jaw falling ability
  8. ARCHIVED-ForgottenFoundling Guest

The Troubadors are still interested in why Charm was made to take 5 concentration slots (from zero con.), work for 90s (maximum) and have a 5 minute recast. Upon the spell breaking we have un-tauntable hate upon us as well. We were stealth nerfed, have been crying for a couple months and have received no word AT ALL from anyone regarding one of our "class defining spells". When brought up at fan faire, a Dev said, "It does? Hmm, we'll look into it."
  9. ARCHIVED-SalBluee Guest

Bleh... talk about your bad spell bugs. That sucks ForgottenFoundling.
  10. ARCHIVED-Anachronist Guest

Well, while I agree that this nerf won`t screw my warlock, I really think this change wouldn`t be a good idea.

My primary role is damage, damage and damage again. So I`m still able to fullfil my primary role. Nevertheless it will make my gaming experience more boring. BG was not only a warlock-can-kill-grp-mobs spell. It was one of the few spells giving me impact on crucial situations in grp play when it`s not enough to just nuke everything down.

Unsuspected add? Healer can`t keep up and the tank`s HP are going deep orange/red again and again? BG could give you a short break to cool down and heal up. The same counts for Healer aggro. Sometimes I was even able to save my own miserable life by it.

Note: It was no press to win button. The casting time is very long for something you want to use as an emergency spell, the mob could still resist, there could be too less room to move outside the mobs meele range, the mob could be a caster, the grp had to react properly to the spell, the spell draws a lot of aggro, there was a huge chance to pull everything nearby.

Still it was something a warlock could do to save the day from time to time. A way to let your grp see that you know how to play.

And for killing heroic mobs: First of all nearly every class is capable of killing heroic mobs. Moreover it`s just not worth the risk and the time.

I realy think it was a perfect spell for our class. The situations in which it could be used were very limited but it added some variation to our game play. It was a fun button - not an ubor button.

Jörg

PS: I`m aware that our heavy damage output should come at a price and this price hast to be less crowd controle - but to reduce a class to a class of button smashers is mind dumbingly boring.
  11. ARCHIVED-V4nce Guest

Every class should have one or two really "oh wow" abilities. So what if it is slightly "overpowering"? BG is not so overpowering that it significantly detracts from the game play for ourselves or for others.

Sheesh, let us (all) have some fun in this game. Why does the game need to be reduced to a bunch of marginally-useful, boring, abilities?

If you really really had to change BG (you don't), then I would much rather you leave it alone except to up the re-use timer to keep it from being as much of an xp tool. That way we still get the occasional "oh wow" and an emergency escape utility.

P.S.

SOE, let me put it this way: your game is already suffering from attrition. You should be thinking of ways to add *more* razzle dazzle and fun to the game, not taking away what perks we now have. If there is an imbalance, raise up those who are down. Warlocks got an earlier DPS boost, that was great! Make the environment more challenging where you need to, but please stop the nerfing!
    Message Edited by V4nce on 06-26-2005 12:54 PM
    Message Edited by V4nce on 06-26-2005 12:54 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

Yeah it's pretty rediculous or one spell that keeps us remotely safe is going to be destroyed. Screw the person who said it should be breakable...you are just trying to save your scraps. Keep the spell the way it is and stop worrying that people can ACTUALLY SOLO. I'd love to see Splitpaw "solo" zone after warlocks are getting melee'd to death for 844 a hit (yes 844 from a solo mob in one hit...hit me twice in 5 seconds), while tanks are still going around soloing the game. Want to solo? Be a tank, when mobs are green they can't hit you, and when they do hit you, you take 35 damage out of 7000. Nerf tanks AC, HP, MP, Agility, Str, Sta and then you can nerf bony grasp. Oh yea and nerf Paladin heals too because its unfair that a tank can heal.
  13. ARCHIVED-Zandof Guest

Message Edited by Zandof on 07-06-2005 07:22 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Kvenau Guest

No offense, but those people freaking out over changes WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN YET ... please get a clue. At least wait until they change it and fix bugs before you start to have a fit. For those that don't want to calm down, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  15. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Jeez ppl if you want see a pain then you solo try solo with coercer....
    Anyway back to subject: few hints here
    a) Deter great as pulling spell - 8s duration stun on separate timer from anything else - I'd love to see casting time shorter for it but oh well...
    b) Cower will never brake on its own as long as mob dont have dots effect on it (curse of emptiness not a a dot) - so dont hesitate use this root a "waiting spell" while you wait for Devastration, ND, TNN timers to refresh
    c) FM still good root - but this root dont tolerate HOs and dont like Dark Pyre or/and any nuke with secondary effects (BSS/Nox Bolt)

d) if you need take a little run in order to not be killed while your spells refreshing dont hesistate to use wands/dolls for casting it can be done on a run. Funny enouth that only moment then you start use doll/wand important for distance - once casting bar active ... you get yourself somethat outside of casting range and spell still hit target
  16. ARCHIVED-jaythedogg Guest

Yea, BG was great in raids, if the raid target spawned mad adds & it was time for a healer to run to come back to revive, I could BG the entire encounter & then some, heck, most people would get away fine! Except me of course, as I always forget to look away when I cast BG, & the BIG skelly hands come up for the main target & a whole bunch of little ones for the rest of the mobs, & I lagged...... When lag was done though, I still couldn't move a muscle, well, except my mouse, to hit the revive button, as my lag lasted well into a minute.

Really BG is a great spell & has it's uses, sure, I solo'd a few ++ mobs like bighorn sheep with BG FM & my stuns, but really, I got bored pretty quick, to much running, death, downtime & risk involved to make it worthwhile, I say, if they wanted to make BG more appropriate, leave it be, except there should be a modifier, if it is a heroic mob, & you are solo, it's resists go up enough to make it harder to land BG, if in a group, the resists are standard. That way we could keep the spell for usefulness, unharmed, & we would not solo ++ mobs as frequently, if at all.
  17. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

At:Crono1321, instead of nerfing pally's and all other classes, how about this:

The entire point of having different classes is that each has their own special abilities.
    What you want is, one generic class that is the same for every player. Hey, and nobody will complain anymore!

I don't care if a Wizard can evac, or if a Paladin can heal (a bit), or that a ranger can run faster, or that summoners have a tanking pet,.... The most important thing is that all classes should be equal in doing the same basic things, and that is killing mobs in solo encounters.

It's not a matter about how it is done; by doing great damage, or by healing, or by mezzing,... it's about that it should be possible for every class.
  18. ARCHIVED-yzyh Guest

If they nerf Bony Grasp thye will need to give us a lot of love.
    Wizard DPS will be boosted to match Warlock DPS. Wich is a fair thing.
    Wizard have nice group and raid utility so Warlock having a powerfull group root is IMO a faor balancing.
    Also the Warlock class is not that popular even with all the power they have. The rare time I do meet one in the mids lvl. Its just someone alt.
    So even if we could solo ubber it wouldn't hurt anything and IMO it would be a nice thing. What I liked in EQ1 is the fact that some class could do some pretty ubba thing solo.

Do not make another World of Warcraft. If everyone can solo the same target. No one can do anything special.

In EQ1
    My Bard: could do best EXP soloing but he coud die in a single sec and it was very complex to kiting 40mobs at a time
    My Chanter: could charm kitting some pretty bad [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] mobs. Bt it was very risky too and chanter were so nerfed with their Mezz ability they were so boring to play in group.
    My bro Necro: were the best dongeon soloer out there with amost no risk to die. But it was not a very popular class and they weren't group friendly so thats fair.
    Shamans: They were horrible at solo EXP but they could take out some mobs that no other class could have soloed.
    Druid: They were ubber soloer and a very popular class. But they were so useless in groups and soloing was so boring with them. it was a fair thing to allow them good solo.
  19. ARCHIVED-Daerv Guest

Making every class equally desireable in both a group and solo situation is kind of the whole point of balancing...

EQ1? Bards ability to kite like that was nerfed to hell. Necros don't contribute much to a group? Beyond awesome dps, off-tanking pets, mind wrack and pretty good crowd control to boot? Druids useless in groups? What version of EQ were you playing? Druids are a perfectly good substitute for Clerics in 99% of situations as well as providing a lot of utility and decent damage.
  20. ARCHIVED-yzyh Guest

Only the AA that were boosting range of AoE DoT got nerfed in EQ wich was really too powerfull. Soloing 60mobs in HoT was a way overpowered.

But well bard still able to charm kite all day.
    I had a necro lvl 66 and hell no I was not DPS. I thought I was good but once I used EQ log parser I realised how far from DPS I were. Well I once grouped with a DPS necro. But he were from conquest and has every single AA int he game. Even the +agi ones. And off tanking.... did you played OoW ? they would kill my pet in a sec or 2.

and druid healing in group ? maybe in the lvl 30's 40's but no way they could be a healer once you reached PoP. Maybe in Plain of Justice if you had a good group and a solid tank. But they were always out of mana. and druid DPS ???? their DPS shield wasn't real DPS vs mobs that are not quadra hitting.
    You could use a druid as main healer only fi you had a shaman slowin and spending all of if spared mana to assissting healin. Thats crap. I prefer to have a cleric taking care of every heals and the shaman usin DoTs or well. a chanter with his Dire Charmed PeT.