Blue Screen Error: Hardware Malfunction - NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error

Discussion in 'Performance Support' started by ARCHIVED-JD2006, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-JD2006 Guest

Loxus@Everfrost wrote:
  2. ARCHIVED-JD2006 Guest

Well, with the mouse disconnected its been running for about an hour and a half with no crashing...Can it seriously be the mouse that is causing the problem? Maybe I just need to update the driver for it or something? I mean, wtf, lol.
  3. ARCHIVED-TalisX1 Guest

If it turns out to be the mouse (was it usb by the way?) that will be a new one for me. I have seen a keyboard cause a memory issue a long time ago when we were still emulating high ram but never a mouse. I was sure it would turn out to be ram lol and it sounded like Loxosceles was too but he did a better job of following the rules of troubleshooting than me ;)
    Please let us (me) know if this issue stays resolved and if it was an USB mouse to satisfy my personal curiosity.
    Thanks,
    Silat
  4. ARCHIVED-JD2006 Guest

It was a USB mouse. lol, this mouse is sweet, though. It's a few years old I guess, but its a logitech, cost a hundred bucks when I got it..

I'm going to run the game tonight for a few hours again and see if it crashes without the mouse, and then try it for the same amount of time with the mouse and see what happens.
  5. ARCHIVED-Miznit Guest

Just a thought. My laptop was having the same issues, andcooloing was the culprit. Also, you might try cleaning dust out of the system. I cleaned my system, and that eased the issue. I ended up buying a cooling pad thingy that has two fans to help cool the laptop, and that has made it wonderful to play.
  6. ARCHIVED-Loxosceles Reclusa Guest

Miznit wrote:
    Good Point Miznit, and something I kinda took for granted... If you haven't blown the dust out of the system, do so and don't be frugal with the air, hose the pig down until you see nothing coming out the vents. Do this regularly, in every fanport/exhaust vent (trying to avoid the sexual innuendos here... and failing). Although, with the temps your running it sounds like you're ok here.
  7. ARCHIVED-Loxosceles Reclusa Guest

JD2006 wrote:
    It's quite possible, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. A BSOD is usually a hardware conflict or a driver conflict which can be caused by really anything. like bad or loose wiring in the mouse (took me a month to figure out). Outdated drivers, corrupted drivers.... you get the picture.
    However, if you've had this laptop for 4 years and haven't updated any of the drivers... that might be a good idea too. EQ2 is an ever-evolving big, messy ball of spegitti code. Sometimes drivers and codes just don't play well together after time, though this problem is more with the machine talking to it's parts then the machine talking to the game. The game is just the catalyst that's causing the machine to trip over itself.
    Give us a list of stuff you have/had normally connected to the laptop (external mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer, headset, etc.)
    Reading around on some of the techy boards though, it's seems that Dell's made in 2006 had a serious problem with NNI crashes (Network to network interface), no one has really come up with a definitive cause though... Except... some success with updating the Nvidia display drivers FROM Nvidia and not the Dell site. Since your problem is a NMI crash, I'm not sure it's the same, but I wouldn't rule it out yet.
    Memory is a funny thing and can be fickle, I've seen different mem tests come up with different results there's really no memory testers I trust 100%.
    Oh, one more thing, if you normally connect your mouse to a specific USB port, try that port again. If it crashes, try a different port (try them all actually) and see if it still crashes.
  8. ARCHIVED-JD2006 Guest

Well, to sort of conduct an experiment, I ran the laptop all night with EQ2 running without the mouse, and it didn't crash. The next night, I ran it with the mouse...and it didn't crash.

The mouse is the only thing I ever attach (aside from earphones) to the laptop.

I'm running low on trial time here and I want to make sure I get this issue sorted out (if it isn't already) before I actually put money into the game. I'm going to play all day today with the mouse and see if it crashes (I have a feeling it won't). I did blow dust out of the vent, so maybe that was the culprit after all.
  9. ARCHIVED-JD2006 Guest

Didn't have any errors, lol. Not sure if the problem went away or if I'm just getting lucky here.