Block chance vs mitigation

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Arclite, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Genghes Active Member

Most tank deaths this expansion are due to 0 damage fail deaths. Which leaves room for a tank to use group/raid befitting items
  2. Boli Active Member

Isnt that the case with every expasion since *thinks back* RoK?

That being said a good mitigation /heath / block / damage reduction it allows a buffer zone between temps/fail effects.

Although hearing 23k self buffed from a brawler makes me sad... pretty much no reason to *ever* to go with a plate tank!

That said once i reached 20k mit self buffed ive started to throw in WDB and flurry items. Whilst it can be perceived as "selfish" you can pretty much say out of all my items adorns only 5 are chosen *not* improve my ability to tank.

21.5% DR 45% block 22k mit 3.1m health from solo and herioc gear. And no cpmplaints from herioc pick up groups (well aside from low health but im working on that!!!!) , 5m health is gonna be a stretch....
  3. Ogdinmar Active Member

Mit vs block... well for starters, like its been said already, a healthy balance based on class, so knowledge of the class is important. What may be great for one may be less great for others. That being said I remember the Devs saying they wanted to rely more on mit/resists vs trying to avoid everything iirc.
    With full set of block or mit armor and jewelry available its almost over loaded, but I think that's part of the customization aspect. You don't 'have to' put mit or block in every slot. in fact ive noticed its too much if you do. I have at least 3 pieces with no mit or block and am still at almost 24k mit by myself, 36k in raid. I focus more on hp and damage atm since my mit avoid stats are solid. Plus hItting 9-11mil hp in raid is very nice.
  4. Arclite Well-Known Member

Uplifting stamina items are very helpful in this regard. If I choose to go past 5mil self buffed i can easily do that but as others have said, it is all about balancing. I have mixed and match block and mit these days. With self buff I am at around 24k and block is around 56% uncontested and feel very solid in raids. I still feel that the ethereal weapons/shield are probably the best tank combo out there, yes the adornments are there now but not exactly easy to obtain with low drop rates.

I have also swapped out many defensive items now for group/raid benefit like the barrage earring and the underfoot rings.

One thing I find it certain now that out of all the bosses i have tanked so far, i cannot recall an instance where I have to rotate my saves due to pulsating damage or AE damage (excluding Psionists before the new time limit), most deaths have been to scripted deaths and/or straight 1 shots due to more incoming damage than my hp and I had nothing up at that time (like the aberrant assault from trash in tepid depths before nerf).

I would really like to see tank shields with a boost in stats, especially protection value.
  5. Genghes Active Member

Not really, because before this expansion a raid could out right kill you with 1auto attack hit for 2-6x your max hp. In tot those one shots are almost non existent. The devs focused more on an approach to you can't muscle through this fail with temps.... 0 damage death. I really enjoy this approach because those random one shots are gone
    Malleria likes this.
  6. xkrisx Well-Known Member

This was probably the most annoying part of any fight. But I have to agree that it is nice to be able to show up, hold agro and temp when I need to rather then being glued to my rotation to make sure I dont miss a temp. Definitely more forgiving.
    Malleria likes this.