Beta Server Updates

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Maevianiu, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Then I remember server load really doesn't impact FPS unless you are talking about people stacked in public places.

There's more than server side improvements on beta.
    Feldon likes this.
  2. Ibukia Member

Technically 20-89 isn't level agnostic
  3. Feldon Well-Known Member

I was always told that if you didn't like the restaurant offered, you had to suggest your own. So what would you call it instead of level-agnostic dungeons?
  4. Maevianiu Well-Known Member

As part of these optimizations, I've been testing out EQ2 on various tablets. And one issue is always battery life. Most mobile applications force a frame limiter like you mentioned to help with heat and with battery life. I'd love to add one. I'll throw it in with the suggestions and this was the right place to bring it up.

I know a lot of people run multiple clients, and run other programs like ACT and such. Limiting the frame rate of the EQ2 clients should help with overall computer load as well and would be a good option to have for users.
    Enaijo, Kurisutaru, wilford51 and 3 others like this.
  5. Maevianiu Well-Known Member

The majority of the improvements are client side for what is currently on beta and focused on taking advantage of newer hardware so they help high settings on newer machines. There is another round of improvements that are currently on our internal QA that have more server stuff. And from today I found a few more places that we can shore stuff up.
  6. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Okies, had another go at the agnostic dungeons, as well as more exploring in-game.

Dungeon this time was Maiden's Chamber. Was me on a heroic necro w/ a heroic inquisitor, Kledge. We managed to run the whole place without mercs, then Dru killed us 5 times in a row before we got her. Fairly impressive difference from Kael Drakken this afternoon. I suspect the group makeup will be a major factor in terms of how easy or difficult these dungeons are going to be, and seeing as that's random, it's going to be an interesting time.

Loot drops worked fine, and everything that dropped was an improvement on the heroic char gear. That alone is going to make those very popular farms.

And thank you for sending Exiles to haven afterwards (you knew I'd have to check).

On more general performance, it's been going beautifully, and I've been steady around 60fps everywhere - until I entered East Freeport. Instant drop to 10-15, with stuttering until I got into the dockside building there. First time was worst, but I would get drops every time I headed for the EFP dock. In Vesspyr had drops to 30ish around Aetema Gardens, which of course has a lovely river and waterfall. I'd call dynamic water as the issue, except dock hopping to various zones did not suffer the same issue. I'd have temporary drops when zoning into new areas - how long and how severe seemed related to how busy the area was, naturally enough. After that, smooth as silk again.
    Neiloch and Feldon like this.
  7. Misia Active Member

I hope the operative word is "option" so that those of us not wanting the option can choose to not use it.
    Maevianiu likes this.
  8. Ibukia Member

Sounds good, I fried the CPU on my old laptop playing eq2. Well that's not totally true, I used to have alot of other things up at the same time as the game, movies etc... I take good care of the new one but still notice a good amount of heat when I need vent dc and/or act up too.
  9. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I decided to try EFP docks in my first round of comparisons hopping between live and beta with extreme quality. These are all 'standing still' frame rates, I usually get an additional drop of ~10 FPS when running around.

First of all when not looking at water in EFP I gained about 30 FPS to 60 FPS compared to live's 30-40 FPS. I am just constantly amazed how much of an improvement all this is. I did get a framerate drop looking at the water as well but only down to 40 FPS compared to my 8 FPS on live.

Next I went to Enchanted Lands OMW to Vesspyr Isles
    Beta: 35-45 FPS
    Live: 10 FPS

Vesspyr Isles
    Druid Ring:
    Beta: 30-35 FPS
    Live: 10-15 FPS

Pond by the hub
    Beta: 10 FPS
    Live: 8 FPS

Hub TS Area (yay occlusion)
    Beta: 80 FPS
    Live 30 FPS
  10. Maevianiu Well-Known Member

Oh yes. This would be an option that would default to off! Mostly just for people who get that framerate vertigo or using really new laptops and/or tablets and want to conserve battery life.
  11. Mogrim Well-Known Member

I've never seen this specifically.

However, I can confirm massive lag spikes when our raid syncs up a time warp and 4 sorc's (and probably others) mash their multi-line macros. Could it be something else causing the massive spike? Sure. But it seems like it is the multi-line macro.
  12. Mogrim Well-Known Member

@Maevianiu

I believe all your questions regarding the multi-line macros were answered, are there any other aspects regarding this I could look into, player-side, to help?
  13. Endymion Developer

We spent some time looking at it yesterday and it does seem like there's some room for optimization there. Not sure what form that will take or if that was included in his statement about there being other areas where we can shore stuff up, but we appreciate the info!
  14. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Any specifics on this?

I know back in the day Spence (I think) tried REALLY cutting the legs off macros. Something like putting a forced delay after 2-3 lines or something but I don't think it ever made it off the test server due to the outrage. He did end up doing something else though, I think it might have had something to do with limiting a macro to 24 lines but I'm not sure.
  15. Enric_of_Neriak Member

I thought I remembered something like that but I wasn't sure. I do believe the 24 line limit is the fix that went in. I know it was discussed that mega macros slam the servers back in the day but I wasn't sure what was done about it.
  16. Gudum Active Member

Are the level agnostic dungeons only available through the dungeon finder? Copied over my lvl 20 that I use for DM and wanted to try one out, but "/who all" only shows 4 or 5 players on the entire server, so not much chance of randomly finding a group.
  17. Lemilla Active Member

Flown around on beta for a while with maxed out graphic settings. The game really looks stunning that way.

'Point Light Shadows' did have a serious impact on my framerates, causing a drop from ~40 to ~15 in Kelethin. But with those disabled I had varying framerate between 13 in Vespyy to 70 in enclosed areas. That's a great improvement over live. Can hardly wait for being able to play like (well, with a couple more options to just below max for raids) that every day.
  18. Endymion Developer

Bear in mind you can always form a premade and queue as a group, as well.
  19. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

I forget, how do you betacopy again? Wanted to port my dirge over. XD just log on the char on live and type /betacopy?
  20. Brewslayer New Member

Just a quick question on the agnostic dungeons. Will you be able to get HQ/Signature/etc updates in them or able to pickup quest?

thx