Best solo/leveling class needed in groups? (non-tank)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Viper482, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Viper482 New Member

As the title says, what would you recommend for this? What class is the smoothest leveling solo experience but also useful in groups later? Not a tank though, I don't need that kind of pressure in my life :p

By smoothest/best I mean a class that is a decent leveling experience, not too slow but still survivable in most cases.
    Saw-Lau and Soara2 like this.
  2. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

It really depends on your playstyle. What kind of role do you want in groups? DPS? Utility? Healing? Do you prefer melee or casting?

Trust me, if you play a class you don't like just so you can get into groups, you won't play long anyhow. Figure out what you prefer.

Priest classes are a bit more self sufficient and very survivable. There's always a spot in a group for a healer. Always one needed,, sometimes two. I have played an Inquisitor for years; their solo survival skills are unmatched. They are not the flavor of the month healer; that does not mean they are bad healers. More to do with the huge damage spikes that (until now, it will change) only warding classes like mystic and defiler, and to a lesser extent templar, could prevent causing an instakill.

Mages (unless you are experienced) are going to be a bigger learning curve in what you can handle, mob-wise. Illusionists and coercers are definitely a learning curve, but a skilled player will be good solo and wanted in groups. You can self cure but a healer merc might help. Conjurors and necros can use their pets to tank and keep the mob off them.

Dirges and troubadors are buffers and utility (temp buffs, dirge rez and heal) although the buffs don't count for as much as they used to. They can do some DPS but not as much as the dedicated DPS scouts. If you choose this for soloing, get a healer merc if you can.

DPS is a dime a dozen. Plenty needed, but plenty out there. Controlling your agro so that the tank doesn't watch the mob run to you and flatten you so that the healer has to take focus off the tank in order to get you up: all important, but many DPSers still are parse hogs and just gotta start out with the big hits. If you can discipline yourself not to rip agro like the parse hogs, you'll get spots in groups.
    Saw-Lau, Viper482 and Soara2 like this.
  3. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Fury, sk and necro. Grouping would be a pipe dream, unless are die hard and willing to gear up like you used to only need for raiding. That's for any class
    Saw-Lau and Rhodris like this.
  4. Viper482 New Member

Lots of good stuff, thanks
    Saw-Lau likes this.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

You might want to also let us know if you are on live or TLE or something. Just a thought.
    Saw-Lau likes this.
  6. Viper482 New Member

Would the answers above be different for TLE?
    Saw-Lau likes this.
  7. Momo Well-Known Member

Yes, as there are no mercs on TLE, far fewer classes are a "smooth" solo experience. Also the state of AA is different and some mechanics - that would mainly affect the healer recommendations, I think. If tank is out of the question, I would go with Soara2 and say necro or fury if on TLE.
    Saw-Lau likes this.