Best Race For Ranger

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Turnery, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Turnery New Member

What is the best race for ranger?
  2. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

The most important thing to bear in mind is the tights you'll be wearing. Nobody wants to see a Froglok, Sarnak or an Ogre dressed up like that.
    Miauler and Ned888 like this.
  3. Ned888 New Member

I don't believe there is a 'best race'. The races themselves say that they are good at one thing or another, but realistically you can play anything you want as anything you want. The only issue would be the very beginning stats, which change as you level anyway and the Heritage stuff which might not be ideal. That being said: Froglok or Wood Elf. ;)
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Honestly, the starting stat differences between races are really minor, and cease to matter by the time you gain a couple of levels.

Where there is a bit of difference is in Racial Traditions. Each race has some innate abilities, like tracking, safe fall, disarm trap, water breathing, etc. You may want to consider what abilities your class conveys: rangers can track, evac, and disarm traps, for instance, so you might want to pick a race that has other innate abilities.
    Breanna and Twyla like this.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The race you choose ultimately doesn't matter. None of them have any racial abilities that objectively gives them an advantage in combat.

-Some races like Erudites, Fae, Arasai, and Dark Elves have racial featherfall abilities (when not using a mount, but you will 99% of the time anyway).
    -Iksar, Frogloks, and Sarnaks have Aquavision that removes the blur while swimming underwater. I THINK Frogloks have enduring breath, but I don't remember.
    -Halflings, Half Elves, Wood Elves, and Kerrans all have a natural racial tracking ability, but because you're already playing a scout class, it wont' serve any added benefit. Half Elves do actually have a surprising number of melee stat boosts, but again it doesn't make a huge difference.

Ultimately, it just comes down to what race you find visually appealing.
    Breanna, Twyla and Ned888 like this.
  6. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Anyone with any common sense will tell you an Arasai is by far the best race for a ranger.
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Says the user with a Ratonga forum icon. :p
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Thats my Conj ;)
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Rakh New Member

Small consideration, Fae/Arasai get a upgraded version of their slow fall skill allowing slow fall while mounted. My favorite abilitie for traveling without flight.

Slow fall in general is amazing for knockback mechanics. Reduce/nulls falling damage and also allows you to steer back toward the mob mid air.

...Great for SE PQ. Or HOC gorilla if you're not against the wall, or Caverns two dragons if an interrupt is missed...
    Twyla likes this.
  10. Regn Member

Those things aren't relevant anymore, so you should play the race you want to play, but here's what I would look at. But first realize that at end-game you will have over 150,000 Agility and 4800 Ranged, and that the Prestige Class tree eventually gives you 100-200% Max Health per prestige point spent. So we're talking about very low values gained.

3% Max Health: Aerakyn, Barbarian, Dwarf, Froglok, Gnome, Half Elf, Human, Iksar, Kerra, Ogre, Sarnark, Troll.
    50 Agility: Arasai, Dark Elf, Fae, Freeblood, Gnome, Halfling, Ratonga, Wood Elf.
    5 Ranged: Aerakyn, Arasai, Dark Elf, Fae, Freeblood, Gnome, Halfling, Ratonga, Wood Elf.
    2 Multi Attack: Aerakyn, Arasai, Fae, Freeblood, Gnome, Half Elf, Halfling, Ratonga, Wood Elf.

What's marked in purple has all 4.
    What's marked in orange has at least 3, including Agility.
    What's marked in blue has at least 3, not including Agility.

You can also look at physical mitigation, run speed, or cast speed here.
  11. Miauler Active Member

I would say "The Naked Gnome races". They're the best races around. Certainly the most fun.
    Chikkin and Twyla like this.
  12. Vlkodlak Well-Known Member

Probably the best race arguably is going to be the Vah Shir. The racial self buff will set it apart from all the others, and far outweighs the starter stats.