Best or close to the best damage dealers (DPS)

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-INSANEPOOKIE, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-INSANEPOOKIE Guest

Hi.

My friend and I are gonna be playing soon. He's interested in being a primary DPS type (heavy armor is a plus of course). Is the Beserker what you would consider the best DPS? There is no concern about being able to keep aggro off of others. My only experience of this game was from a long time ago as an Inquis (level 28). I was going to suggest a SK but after reading I quickly found out they are not DPSers, at least compared to others.

Thanks for any input.
  2. ARCHIVED-Spike92 Guest

Out of the heavy armor tanks, we have the best aoe dps, but i think Sks have pretty good if not better single target dps. And bruisers have the best dps out of all tanks.
  3. ARCHIVED-atjtennis Guest

Yeah if your friends want sa plate wearer that is DPS go Berserker but if you want real DPS go with Bruiser, Ranger or Assassin
  4. ARCHIVED-Poochymama p Guest

If he want by far the best DPS tell him to go Ranger, or Assasin. If he has to have plate armor then tell him to go berserker.
  5. ARCHIVED-Dherfel Guest

If u want to be a primary DPS type make a PREDATOR or ROGUE .... Berserker is a tank class.
    If you begins to play with the just class, maybe tomorrow you will not come to complain itself on this forum as making the greater part of that continue to consider the Berserker a dps class.
  6. ARCHIVED-Pegesus11 Guest

Best Plate Dps: Zerker
    Best Fighter Dps: Bruiser
    Best Scout Dps: Swashbuckler
    Best Mage Dps: Conjurer
    Best Priest Dps: Fury
  7. ARCHIVED-Kaberu Guest

Er, are you on crack? The best scout DPS is the Ranger by far. Even considering raid level damage (spread over a long duration fight) Rangers are still top end. I've seen a Ranger dump enough DPS to solo the Matron at the end of Scornfeathers as well as the level 60^^^ goblin in Hidden Cache. The fights lasted well under 30 seconds (maybe 10-15 seconds for matron and 15-20 or so for goblin). Even aside from those prepped fights, Rangers can easily steal DPS from pure damage if they wanted too. Much of the Swashbuckler's aggro comes from the debuffs, not from insane DPS. Predators are mostly straight DPS whereas rogues generally rely on more debuffs. Even within the rogue classes, a Brigand's combination of attacks and debuffs can out-DPS Swashbucklers.

Best Mage DPS should still be either Warlock or Wizard depending on how long the fight lasts. The Conjuror scout pet does alot of damage, but not THAT much especially considering recast times for the pet's CAs.

Other than that, you could argue that SKs do more damage against a single target, but considering the Berserker is only slightly behind in that regard and miles ahead in AOE, Berserker's indeed =)
  8. ARCHIVED-Worrick Guest

Warlocks and Wizards SHOULD to be the top mage DPS, as a walrock I can say that is not the case. Conjuorors and necros beat us hands down. Other then the mage part I agre with the rest of what you said. Rangers are deffinately at the top for scouts, but we'll see if that changes with the procs changes.
  9. ARCHIVED-Khalad Guest

Swash do well, but ranger beats it. As for mages, conj single target warlock grp and AE.
  10. ARCHIVED-Pegesus11 Guest

I went basing on an average for the scout class. Single target hands down nobody can beat a ranger however. Alot of targets and encounters are Multiple. Swashies excel there more than any other scout from what i have seen.

Thats why i said Swashie.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kaberu Guest

Our resident guildy Ranger calls Storm of Arrows, "Storm of Aggro" for a very good reason. Swashbuckler's might be able to do more AOE damage on average, but the sheer single target damage a ranger can do on top of his AOE lets him burn down mobs faster than a Swashbuckler could get through them. On a large mass of v v and v mobs, I could see the ranger's larger single target damage going to waste. Typically however, three ^ or four evens are the most popular for actual heroic "group mobs" and in those cases, rangers still seem to have the upper hand.
  12. ARCHIVED-Mulethree Guest

Original post said : "There is no concern about being able to keep aggro off of others."

Yes Zerkers are the best DPS of the plate tanks. They can hold agro as well as anyone when they are tanking.

When it comes to DPS you have no agro control, you can taunt to get more agro but have no way to get rid of it. So often you have to hold back on DPS to avoid getting agro. Real melee DPS types - scouts - have ways to get rid of agro or transfer it to the tank so they can do more DPS without getting agro. They can do 150-200% of a zerkers damage and have big 5 and 10,000 point attacks where a zerker's big attacks do around 1000. They can do more than 200% if its a short fight, they have their big attacks ready to go and are planning on having agro, like solo or a group without a tank.

A zerker's best DPS is with some slow-reuse skills that hit everything in sight. You use it and you had best be prepared to have agro. Zerkers wear plate, but if you use the offensive stance for DPS instead of the defensive tanking stance, you will not last much longer than a chainmail scout - except that the scout has a few ways to get rid of the agro before it kills them.
  13. ARCHIVED-Zabumtik Guest

Yeah, I was grouping with a zerker tonight on an easy raid. He was just dps/(dps buffer) for our raid. I was surprised by how easily he pulled aggro without taunting. Of course, we were using a crusader tank at the time. And, while I admire crusaders, unless they have some very specific things happening they just can't hold aggro like a guardian. We lost our zerker a few times. I guess he was in full offensive so when he did catch aggro (even against green (to a 60) epics) he went down faster than we could heal him.

If you're going for a plate-wearing fighter class, none come close to berserker's damage output.
  14. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

"When it comes to DPS you have no agro control, you can taunt to get more agro but have no way to get rid of it."

That's a good point and it's true of all fighter classes, not just Zerkers. In fact I would say that's why Bruiser's are so bad about stealing aggro.
  15. ARCHIVED-Balrok Guest

Best AoE Fighter - Zerker.. hands down.
    Best Single Figher - Bruiser.. hands down.
    I also have a 47 assassin in the works.. since the revamp, I'll parse out against any ranger my level.. would be fun. :) Truth be told, there are alot, I mean alot of bad scouts out there that don't know how to get the most out of there DPS. Assassin by far is the most complex class I've played to get the most out of them. Planning your stealth, melee and range attacks has to be percise to get all your attacks on before a mob goes down.
    So back to the topic at hand, if you know EQ2 pretty well, ask yourself if your going to fight primarily group or single encounters.
    A RL friend duel accounts with me so we have two trios.
    Group Encounters: Zerker/Templar/Warlock
    Single Encounters: Bruiser/Warden/Wizard
    .. the class does not make the player.. the player makes the class.