Best AA combo?

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-goawaynow, Mar 2, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-goawaynow Guest

Heya, I was considering my AA path and figured I came up with an excellent one for soloing. All points put into dragoon so you have the 12s of 100% parry and the left over ones put into the stamina one to get the shield counterattack ability whenever there is a parry etc. That sounds pretty great in my opinion considering you have rampage + open wounds + the 100% parry + the shield ability + Juggernaught....that is at least 12s of invulnerability and insane damage :) What'd you consider the best AA path?
    Message Edited by goawaynow on 03-02-200604:30 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-FightGame Guest

Personally I like the wisdom line, for a few reasons.
    1. The first step gives me more wisdom, which is needed for resists, and something I can use more of. Many times my Strength and Stamina are already at max, when in the right group (and I usually am).
    2. Second step gives me another knock down ability, along with some nice damage, when a hammer or mace is equipped, and my best 1H weapon happens to be considered one of these.
    3. Third step gives a DPS boost, and this can be used with ANY weapon. I'm not liking choices where it forces me to use any single weapon/buckler. The Stamina line requires a buckler for 3 of the steps, and I won't be caught dead with a buckler (and I would probably be dead if I did equip it, lol)
    4. Fourth step, mitigation, ya!
    5. And last step is the best single thing I see out of all (except for last in stamina line, but again I refuse to wear a buckler). Removes all penalties of the offensive and defensive stance. In other words, more mitigation (etc) in defensive and no penalty to my pierce/crush/slash, or more pierce/crush/slash and no penalty to my defense.

All 5 steps I can use!

Haven't really came to a conclusion on the rest of my points, but the Agility line is looking good. Maybe 8 points in the third step to give me 40% chance that autoattack will be AE. As far as total damage output, this is probably the single best thing you could do in the AA (or AP to be more correct) tree. Not only that, but this would probably help you hold aggro more on a group, then say, the little bit of added hate you can get in the Strength line. But once we hit level 70, the focus of our guild will be more on raiding, and this probably wouldn't help much, so I'd probably re-do them. Eight points in the 4th step of Agility is also looking nice. Some more repostes and parrying.

Initially people were talking about how great the critical chances are, but from what I've read recently, and from what I've experienced, it's nothing that great. Hell, most of my crits don't go much over what my normal hits do, and only once have I seen it go over my normal max.
    Message Edited by FightGame on 03-02-200605:00 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

The WIS line is the best line out of all the Warrior paths IMO. I am definitely going for the final ability in this line, although I don't want to put all of my points into this one line. I really liked the STA line too until I found out that the buckler requirement was for real. Currently I have 3 points in the STA line and 4 points in the WIS line (and 1 point in Bind Wound). What I am thinking about doing now is this:

WIS: 4/4/4/4/8
    STA: 5
    STR: 4/4/4/8

Either that or I might take my points from the STA and STR lines and use them to go 4/4/4/4/8 with AGI instead.

The only thing that really bothers me about either one of these options is the fact that either way I will still wind up with one ability that I will probably never use at all because of the special weapon requirement. I have already resigned myself to using a morning star (even though I prefer axes) for the ability in the WIS path that requires it because I feel that it's actually worth it. If I go with the STR path as well (for the hate bonus) then there's an ability there I will have to get that will require the use of an axe to work. I don't feel that ability is as good as the WIS one in the same teir that requires a hammer. If I go with the AGI line then I will have to use a spear for one of the abilities there or I won't be able to use it at all. I really hate that since I am not one that likes having to switch out gear willy nilly during combat. That really annoys so much that I probably will wind up just ignoring one of the skills altogether instead of switching the weapons to make it work. So this makes it really hard for me to choose the right AA paths for myself. It seems like it might actually be better just to stick with one solid path although I really don't want to but it looks like that's the only way to get the most usability out of your AA points. It's a real shame that 2 of the abilities in the STA line require a bucker instead of just one like the rest of the paths otherwise I would probably stay with it.
  4. ARCHIVED-KhayosAD Guest

I'm going

INT 4/4/8/8/8

WIS 4/4/8/1

The INT line top item seems awesome to me to spam 30s buffs, stuns and taunts. Also, maxing parry instead of the WIS line mit buff.
  5. ARCHIVED-uux Guest

I have found the buckler requirement on the STA line to be disappointing as well. I didn't think of this sooner, or I would have tried it, but is it possible to activate the buff while a buckler is equipped then switch to a tower? Just wondering if the check is only when you try to activate it. It's a bit sad when the only line that will work based off what is equipped in the secondary slot requires such an undesirable item.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm headed down INT + WIS. The shorter recast is attractive to me due to combat arts that are on a longer timer such as Rampage, Open Wounds, and Insolent Gibe.
    Message Edited by uux on 03-03-200611:48 AM
    Message Edited by uux on 03-04-200609:41 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

I'm also looking at that final ability in the STR line agian...at first glace I didn't think it was worth a crap but now that I think about it there have been several situations where I have been tanking with low health and being oop and having an ability that gives me some extra DPS while having low health without costing any power to work does sound rather appealing. In that case I may just go 50/50 WIS/STR to get the final ablilties of both of those paths while getting extra mitigation, resists, DPS, crits, power, and hate all in one.
  7. ARCHIVED-Nitz Guest

Increased Defense and a 12 second Parry Everything ability trumps the mitigation bonuses of the WIS line. I am starting with the AGI line. Avoidance is always better than mitigation.
  8. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

"Avoidance is always better than mitigation"
    Not sure where you get that idea. Most people feel that the exact opposite is true and that having more mitigation to absorb damage is more reliable than having more avoidance because no matter how high your avoidance is you are eventually going to get hit and when you do get it if you don't have the mit to absorb the damage it's really going to hurt. This is why plate tanks are still preferred over Brawlers in most situations. And Berserkers don't even have a self-heal they can use in combat to make up for it like Brawlers do. Also, plate tanks can still only avoid attacks from the front as far as I know no matter how high their avoidance is, unlike Brawlers that can avoid attacks from any direction. They get deflection skill, we don't. Mitigation, however, works the same all the way around. Going 50/50 with the AGI and WIS paths might be a good idea though.
    Message Edited by infernus006 on 03-03-200605:00 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-FightGame Guest

Today I'm feeling...
    Wisdom 4-4-5-4-8 to give 28 more wisdom, belly smash - nice knockdown ability with over 500 damage (requires hammer, which I have), 10% added dps (with any weapon), 160 more mitigation (don't necessarily want or need this little bit, but have to in order to proceed in the tree), and the removal of all penalties of the offensive and defensive stance.
    Agility 4-4-8-8 to give 24 more agility, some CA that requires a spear (which I probably won't ever use), 40% chance autoattack will be AE!!!, and the largest increase we can possibly get to repostes and parrying.
    This set up will only require me to waste 4 points in an area that I probably won't ever use. Everything else are useful things that I can use in about any situation.
    Message Edited by FightGame on 03-03-200605:09 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-atjtennis Guest

I've boostedmy defense I beleive it is +18 over the current lvl it should be, lvl 65 atm defense is at 325 and with all my +defense jewelery is like 340 ish and when I stick on my offensive stance the +defense over already cancels out the negative from my offensive stance.
    I'm currently doing the agility line and I'm really liking dragoon cyclone Ihave 3 points in it thus far and I see it going off a lot in combat and is great for holding aggro on those other mbos, espically when peoepl forget to assist you.
  11. ARCHIVED-Aonach Guest

Well I know that I put a lot of stats into agility and avoidance on my way through the levels. I also know that now I can tank t6 raid mobs better than the equivalent guardian in the guild. It's not a case of totally ignoring mitigation, it's a fine balance of trying to avoid getting hit as much as you can but still being able to absorb the hits when they do come. If I look at my logs after named fights there is an awful lot of misses on attacks aimed at me. Which can only be classed as a good thing.
    As for only avoiding to the front? Why would you ahve mobs behind you anyway? I know you can't always have every mob in the encounter to the front of you but anuy decent tank knows that at all possible circumstances all mobs should be to your front.
    I certainly don't regret the stats I put into agility and avoidance on my zerker, its eems to be working as intended to me :)
  12. ARCHIVED-Pegesus11 Guest

AGI / WIS here

I've started with AGI im working ont the last path right now. I have to tell you that the difference is amazing in my ablity to avoid attacks. I went 4/4/4 right now and the increase in the agi alon and the defense is fantastic its definetly noticable. I am looking foward to the last trait which is our version of Tsnuami which i think is gonna come in very handy. I'm moving to Wisdom next the increase in Mitgation and the levleing out of our Offensive and Defensive stances are gonna make us extremely well rounded.

I would reccomend the AGI to anyone with my gear and the increase to defense from the line i have up'd my defense by nearly +30. Im 67 now and in a normal group my avoidance is pushing 62%. The only thing i wish they didnt change was the fact that for a few days there you could use your Dark Sword of Anuk as a spear for the 2 part of the agi line. Now its changed to just the halbred working for that.
  13. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

I'm not saying to ingore AGI or avoidance, I know they are important. I was only responding to your comment that "avoidance is always better than mitigation" which obviously is not true.

I think I will go with some of the AGI options myself. Here is my current intended build:

WIS: 4/4/4/4/8
    STA: 5
    AGI: 4/4/4/8
  14. ARCHIVED-FightGame Guest

Infernus, don't you think the extra 5 points you're putting into stamina, could be better placed somewhere else? More stamina can be found on better weapons/armor/jewelry, where as upgrading some of these other things with your points can not. For example, an extra 4 points in Sweeping Strikes will give you a 40% chance of AE, rather than 20%. Or an extra 4 points in Seasoned Veteran will give you about 20% more DPS, rather than 10%. 5 points in stamina will only give you about 130 points (5 AA points times 5 stamina per point times about 5.2 health per point = 130) of health. Not really trying to change your mind...just wondering why you decided this...maybe you know something I don't, making 5 points in stamina line (or about 130 more stamina total) worth it..? Even more so if there is a cap on stamina, that in turn, doesn't continue giving you more health for more stamina, if you're in a group that has it at cap.

Any way, it seems like alot of us are going wisdom/agility.
    Message Edited by FightGame on 03-06-200602:33 PM
  15. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

Well maybe, it's just that I've already spent 4 points in the STA line because I was originally going to go all the way with it until I found out that the bucker requirement was for real. Of course I can always respect my AAs if I want, which I may wind up doing. But I like having extra HP and I'm pretty sure that 25 points of STA will give me a bit more HP than just 130. Thanks for the advice, though, I will take it into consideration. Thank god we can always respec our AAs any time we want! =D

And yes, the WIS and AGI paths do seem like the best ones to go with, at least from a tanking standpoint. Although I don't think that the final ability in the AGI path is worth the 8 points required to get it. Remember, it only makes you immune to melee attacks for 12 seconds, it does not prevent you from getting hit by nukes, and you can't cast any other abilities while it's in effect. And I have no idea how often it can be used.
    Message Edited by infernus006 on 03-06-200605:44 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-FightGame Guest

I agree the last in line for agility isn't worth 8 pts.
    The first respec of the AP's is only 1 silver, so no worries there. I've heard that each time you do it it gets 10x more expensive, so 1s, then 10s, then 1g, then 10g, then a plat, etc.
    I've found that for each stamina point it equalled 5.2 health. It will probably be different for different classes, but I have to assume that it would be the same for other berserkers.
    And I found this using a few different methods. First, I simply looked at my health. Then I started unequipping things that had stamina on them. If the item also had health on it, that was subtracted first. It was the same 5.2 for each item (weapon/armor/jewelry).
    Then when I decided to use my reforming stone (aka /respec) I did the same thing. I decided to respec after finding out about max attributes. Since I'm always over on strength, and I always picked strength, when having this choice, during the leveling up, I decided to go back through and pick all stamina (along with all the in combat power regen I could get). So I compared my stamina/health before the respec and after, and wearing all the same gear, again each stamina point was equal to 5.2.

I'd like someone else to do this to compare. Not the whole reforming stone (respec) thing, but just a comparison, and what it comes out to on the gear.
    Message Edited by FightGame on 03-06-200603:12 PM
  17. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

Good idea, I will do that tonight when I log on, I will see if I can drop 25 or so STA points and see how much less HP I have from it and I will get back to you on that.
  18. ARCHIVED-FightGame Guest

Don't forget to subtract any health that might be on the item, before doing the division.
  19. ARCHIVED-Pegesus11 Guest

Now i could be wrong its happend a few times. But the last choice in AGI says you will avoid 100% of all incoming attacks. Doesn't just specify melee. And this spell should work as Tsunami does for monks which has made them the puller of choice on a raid.
  20. ARCHIVED-RageofMages Guest

I'm liking the extra AA attack in the AGI line, giving me 4 AA attacks to crush grouped mobs with. The avoidance help is minimal atm. Plus, I want mobs to hit, specially those with weapons so weapon guard can proc.
    As far as my second line goes, can't decide.