Bertoxxulus

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-TheSpin, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Nocturnal Abyss Guest

Actually, we see from the Cosmology post Vhalen made, that the Planes of Disease, Health, and Growth are all on the same level, as Planes of Nature, along with the Planes of Storms, Sun, Underfoot, Oceans, and Sky. You can check out his actual post here.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Nocturnal Abyss wrote:
    Yeah but that doesn't mean that all of it just falls into a very general catagory of Tunare's domain. He means that the gods are split into Physical and Mental representations. Love, Valor, War, Strife, Tranquility, Justice, Mischief, etc. These are all emotions and suggestions of the mind. Sky, Growth, Fire, Earth, Air, Water, Ocean, Underground, Disease, Storms, etc. These are all physical elements and conditions of the world around us.
  3. ARCHIVED-Saroc_Luclin Guest

True, Tunare is more the Goddess of Growth and not necessarily the Goddess of Nature. In that case, I'd say her realm, and Bertoxx's realm were carved out of what was initially the domain of the Elemental Plane of Earth.
  4. ARCHIVED-Nocturnal Abyss Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    I quote Vhalen here:
    The Inner Planes are the eight planes of Influence and the eight planes of Nature. Below the Inner Planes you can find all the other planes, a cosmology of quasi planes that often carry the title of plane, such as the Plane of Innovation or the Plane of Tactics. All these lesser planes derive their power from the Inner Planes and are often finite. Without the Inner Planes, they could not exist.
    I believe you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying that the Planes of Health and Disease did not come from the Plane of Growth, as they are on the same level, of the Plane of Growth. At least from the accepted understanding (since that is all Vhalen says this cosmology is), the 16 inner planes are all on the same level, being one degree less than the Elemental Planes, making the Planes of Growth, Disease, and Health equivolent (at least in magnitude/importance/strength/etc).
    Of course, this could all be radically changed if only given new information, since, as Vhalen stated in the beginning of his post:
    The hierarchy of the planes and deities of the EQ universe has always been misunderstood and sometimes even misinterpreted. The most popular knowledge to date can be found here.
    I.E. This is just the working theory of the time, and as most in the scientific community should be able to tell you, a theory is not a fact, and theories have a tendency to change.
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

no no, I wasn't trying to say that they were part of the Plane of Growth or anything like that. I was sort of further elaborating on what Vhalen said, trying to clarify further.
  6. ARCHIVED-iceriven2 Guest

heard that eq1 expansion Dragons of Norrath dealt a bit with Nife's people. But what i dunno.
  7. ARCHIVED-Saroc_Luclin Guest

iceriven2 wrote:
    I'm afraid you heard incorrectly.

Dragons of Norrath was about Mayong using his influence to first get a group of gnome miners in Lavastorm to break through a barrier into the Dragon Broodlands (where many of the dragon eggs are guarded to mature and hatch every few decades), and then using other groups (including us adventurers) to get a curse in those lands to corrupt and kill the next generation of dragons, which he succeeded in doing. The lands of DoN were magically veiled for centuries, and served as one of the Dragon's most important lands. Later on, via TSS, we learn that it took SolRo's raising of the Serpent Spine mountains to pull one of their Holiest of Holy temples, containing a scale of Veeshan herself, out from under that protective veil.

There were lots of goblins and golems and drakes and dragons, lizard horses and spiders and lots and lots of pumas, even a solitary giant, but nothing at all related to Rodcet Nife.
  8. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Nocturnal Abyss wrote:
    I do remember Castle of Envar in the Dead Hills with all of those wicked creatures in it. I believe there was a teleport or something where you had to get crystals from the Jalraeth to activate it.
    Also I believe it was in EQOA that we had an event dealing with Bertoxx. His followers released a plague upon us that contaminated everyone that came into contact with one another. The only way to cure it was to basically die, but you could be reinfected rather quickly. When you completed a series of quests it turned out that the people you were helping were working for Bertoxx to further his purpose. It's possible they may have been the great ancestors of the Bloodsabers *Think that's them* learning the secrets of Bertoxx.
    Sadly I left EQOA and only learned those few bits and pieces from it. I do remember mention of Rodcet Nife and I believe it was in Arcadin (aka Erudin for EQ1 people).
  9. ARCHIVED-GFunk371 Guest

Where does this deity line starts? Inquiring necros want to know... :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Kryussius Guest

Gukkor2 wrote:
    Tunare's embodiment of growth is only "positive" because that's how she was written in to the EQ story.
    Disease isn't evil in and of itself, and could have actually fallen under the rule of Growth in the past, since all a disease is is a type of life that is parasitic in nature. Rot is nothing more than bacteria breaking down dead matter, and even the ebola virus is just a form of life doing what it has to to continue to grow.
    Disease is still growth. It's just growth we don't like. That doesn't make it evil.
    What makes disease evil in EQ is the hand that now guides it - Bertoxxuous. Same reason why growth is seen as good, fear as evil, etc.
  11. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

comparing the stories of necropolis of lxanvon and remembrances -berrox...

race in Lxanvon is 'xulous', void anchor is named berrox.

combine the two, you get berroxxulous.

arrival of void anchor drove the king to the priest ultor(even use same name). remembrances - berrox is definitely about norrath and the xulous society!

at this point, they had a void anchor as well, and potential to spread thru cosmos.
  12. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

'the people of berrox' in that story would make me think the town was called berrox and their crypt was called lxanvon
  13. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Also Bert figures into the Crafter Timeline (Sinking Sands and is mentioned in the KoS timeline) as well. you might get an idea from it about some of the things he would like to see crafted more.
  14. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

ratbastard wrote:
    Y'know, I'm not sure about the rules here, but you tend to necro old threads a lot.

Either way, one question I've always had about Bertoxxulous is this; which is more powerful, Cazic-Thule's Green Mist or Bertoxxulous's stuff?
  15. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

ratbastard wrote:
    All the rememberances books are about void anchors on different worlds. Berrox was not Norrath. A good deal of this information is hinted at through clickable items in the Obelisk of Lost Souls, where these book quests drop.
    One of the big rumors about Bert and Rodcet is that they are both from a different planet. That neither of them origionated on Norrath but came here and then became gods. Also if I remember correctly both are newer than the Marr Twins. Indeed Rodcet first appeared in Qeynos and became a diety afterward. I believe he followed Bertoxxulous here, which should mean Bertoxxulous should of arrived shortly before Rodcet.
    The Founding of Qeynos and Freeport are relatively new. Both were founded after the Lost Age, probably during the early Age of Blood.
  16. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

Meirril wrote:
    how can you say its not about the same planet? same name for location (kings rest) and same name for priest (ultor), as well as the stories mesh without any known discrepencies or conflicts.

it seems more plausible that
    1) its the same story (and not same priest, and same named location on different worlds)
    2) remembrances - xxx is naming convention for portal, not planet, allowing for multiple portals onto same world.

I wouldnt be surprised to find out ultor was/became bertoxxulous. ambitious conniving weasel who infiltrates, gets promoted, brainwashes, tricks into dark pact.

did ultor of remembrances come from the anchor, or was he already at Berrox? he is only mentioned after it materializes.
  17. ARCHIVED-Orpheus666 Guest

what does any of this have to do with the original post of coming back to the game with the introduction of Bertoxxulus from way back in 07?
  18. ARCHIVED-Chorboy01 Guest

HE MAKES ME DO LEET DPS WITH HIS MIRACLES ON MY WARLOCK
  19. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

ratbastard wrote:
    Or Ultor was Xul'Varien :-D
    But yeah definately same planet without a shred of doubt
  20. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Alluvial@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Ok boys, all of the rememberances books happened at different void anchors. Bertox and Prime are both listed along with Norrath on a longer list of void anchors. If Bertox and Prime are both locations on Norrath, then why is one of the anchors named Norrath?
    Also, do you know what happens to planets that become void anchors? They are used to help slow large rocks in the void from being consumed in the eye of the void. The anchor doesn't stop it from happening. When the rock the anchor is tied to slips into the center, it and the planet the anchor is tied to cease to exist.
    Where do the Nightblood come from? Prime! Rodcet Nife's people were turned into Nightbloods and conscripted into the void army. From what it says in Prime, it sounds like a planet with several unfamiliar races on it that had advanced technology and a lack of magical knowledge. Perfectly acceptable as a non-norrathian planet, but for early Norrath?
    Go visit the Obelisk of Lost Souls. You'll see.