Berserkers and Piercing 2h Weapons...

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-Eneebreated, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Eneebreated Guest

Hey all...lvl 12 barbarian warrior here and I really like the berserker class. I've always been a huge fan of the war class in mmo's and see berserker as the route to take true "warrior" further. Last night when I got my hands on some coin i bought the Iron Harpoon. VERY nice dmg base (like a 9-30, 15-49 at lvl 20), no stat buffs (obviously), but when I took it out into battle it was awesome...almost too awesome. Now, using this weapon increases piercing skills. I know that when war it really doesn't matter what I use, but I want to train myself now, around what I'm going to be tomorrow. Would there be any downfall to using a great spear or something else 2h piercing? I know the weapon they give you when you become a zerker is a 2h slashing weapon, but I'm really into these huge harpoons and spears right now..nothing at my lvl does better dmg.

Just figured I'd ask here because I know there's many 1h v. 2h discussions on here, but haven't seen many slashing vs. piercing threads...

thanks.
    Message Edited by Eneebreated on 02-08-2005 10:23 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Jherad Guest

Hrm, null post, so I'll try and take a guess from the subject :p

Yes, we can use 2H piercing weapons, and there is no reason why you shouldn't, if you find one that you like. Our buffs tend to enhance all three of piercing/crushing/slashing, so that isn't an issue.

Most berserkers tend to lean towards slashing, as the majority of good weapons for most of the level range seem to be there, with crushing coming a close second.

Was I close?
  3. ARCHIVED-Eneebreated Guest

that was a pretty darn good answer considering I hadn't even written it yet :)

I had to edit..hit post by accident after I put the subject in (as you obviously figured out...)

I know I'm a EQ noob but the bottom line is perhaps high dmg, slow delay weapons are the counter to the dmg nerf zerkers are experiencing?
  4. ARCHIVED-Maccus Guest

Well I usually keep one of each type of weapon on me and that I I can keep all 3 skills maxed out at all times. It's nice to have some diversity in the weapons you are using depending on your situation.
  5. ARCHIVED-DaemonSlayer Guest

Two-handed slahsing axes = The one thing better than Dead elves and Dwarven Ale ;P
  6. ARCHIVED-PerinStone Guest

Try to keep up all 3 skills otherwise you may find a better weapon later on that you can't use effectively. I neglected piercing when I was a young Berserker and will now have a hard time raising that skill if I ever need to.
  7. ARCHIVED-YellowSpinE Guest

The Shiny Brass Halberd, which is a Heritage quest for (least what I have read) one of the best weapons from 28-mid30's, is a Pierce weapon.

As suggested, it's good advice to keep all your skills up to par. You never know when you will come across a a nice weapon and you will want your skill to use it effectively.
  8. ARCHIVED-Styker Guest

I recommand having one weapon of each type simply for skills and you will always encounter monsters who are immune to a certain weapon type.... Its good to be prepared
  9. ARCHIVED-Jherad Guest

Er... No it isn't! Heheh. Definitely slashing, as I've only just replaced this with Treebane myself, and my piercing skill is a lowly 100, compared with a maxed slashing. Definitely a good idea to keep your skills maxed though - I've picked up a fairly nice 1-handed trident, and its going to be a pain to get my piercing skill up to the point where the weapon is actually useful :(

-Jherad
  10. ARCHIVED-YellowSpinE Guest

Really? My bad, was going off http://eq2.ogaming.com/db/items/ShinyBrassHalberd.php ... assumed Greater Spear would be piercing not slashing. About half way there to getting it myself :p
  11. ARCHIVED-Grimveld Guest

SBH is definitely slashing.

To the original poster: make an effort to keep all three of your weapon skills (slashing, piercing, and crushing) maxed out. Carry at least three weapons with you (one of each type), and swap out periodically. There is no advantage to just focusing on just one skill.