berserker duo - what is recommended?

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-psistorm, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-psistorm Guest

Im currently duoing with a close friend´s Zerker every now and then, using my necro, and were close to hitting 50. Though recently, ive become a bit sceptic about my necro´s performance when grouped with him.
    The utility is decent, given how I have a quite useful heal which uses my own life (I barely ever draw aggro, so it works out well with lifetap too), plus the rez.
    The main downsides lie in buffing/debuffing, since I cant really contribute a whole lot there. I have one stat debuff, but it gets resisted about 75% of the times, especially against higher con mobs, despite afaik being M1 quality and my main damage spells also see many resists despite being M1 either. So against trash mobs, which constitute about 75% of what we fight (mostly con-blue to white no-ups), my friend does most of the damage, whilst I struggle to get more than my first two spells off (coil + rot, lifetap mostly sees "target is not alive" halfway through the cast).
    Versus mobs with ups, I gain more utility by healing my friend, or FDing and rezing him when things happen to go bad, like a group of adds joining the fun unexpectedly, and my DoTs gain some more effect, but in the end, Im quite convinced there are better choices for a duo partner, especially since the necro usually holds his own pretty well and is more of a soloing class from my experience.
    So what Im looking for is a class to better complement a berzerker. Ive got an inquisitor, who was actually my first char, but was abandoned for a necro before I understood the game well enough, and I just got back to her again and am correcting my earlier mistakes (mostly lack of care for decent gear, doing the class armor quest atm, since she is 24 and just in the right level range for some nicer armor to replace the old junk, and some nice future appearance armor). She would in my eyes consitute a nice duo partner, with her CAs upfront she can deal burst damage to take down trash quicker, and her HoTs and normal heals + rez should provide good utility in a fight. also, she can buff melee with the blessing line, and can debuff well.
    Still, id like some more input on whether theres a class which would complement a berserker even more, and which could make the duoing sessions even more fun. Soloing skills would be nice, since Ill probably have to level the new toon by myself during the first few tiers, most of the time.
    What Im mostly after would be good melee buffs + debuffing, heal/rez and some decent dps for myself. Ive read about fury/warden for this purpose, but more input is always very welcome, since Id like to make a lasting choice here :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Mogzilla Guest

Well if you want to do decent dps yourself forget about templars and defilers.
    That leaves mystics, druids, and inq.
    For a the bezerker I would take the inq.
    Reactive heals, great dps buffs and debuffs.
    Get the battle cleric line, then spec down sta for heal crits and 100% melee crit, get nice two hander and go to town.
    I personally think clerics are the best healers for plate tanks, shamans for brawlers, druids in between.
    Of the clerics inq is definetly the dps orientated one.
    Inq solo well to with the battle cleric and sta AA lines.
  3. ARCHIVED-psistorm Guest

thanks for the info. and after some consideration, warden has some nice stuff (SoW, shapeshifting), but I agree that inq is probably the best choice. currently in the process of dusting off the girl, giving her some fresh equipment (did the class armor quest to get her lvl 26 butt out of the lvl12 MC stuff she was wearing - yeah she was my first char and I had no clue back then, lol) and spell upgrades, as well as a more useful crafting profession (scribe, for herself and my necro - armorer and weaponsmith are already existing).
    So far, its fun. I still have to learn a lot in terms of survival, but Im managing a LOT better than i used to the first time around (as in, two con greens wont kill me anymore) and its turning out fun. Currently questing to get her AAs up a decent notch, because we all know an inq gets a lot from AA - need 3 more points to finish battle cleric, then ill dive into the sta tree for the crit
  4. ARCHIVED-Kage848 Guest

Honestly the INQ and Warden are both good choices but id prob go with the warden.
    The warden has the melle buff you need as a zerker. The Zerkers main downside is his lack of connecting on hits hits to the mob. As a zerker i find the wardens S/C/P/R buff is very nice indeed. The INQ gives you a dps/HP buff but you dont need the dps as much as the melle one, eventough the hps are nice id still go with the melle one.
    The INQ has a really nice buff that he will put on the zerker, it has a % of a chance to give the INQ power whenever the zerker lands a hit. But the Warden has a spell ( My god i cant rember the name, i been gone a while ) that gives one person in the grp power regen/Agi and an AA that doubles the effects.
    I have also persoanlly been a big fan of druid healing, HoT > Reactives IMHO.
    I have a 80 Zerker, 80 Warden and 80 fury. I have duel-boxed both combo's. Pick what one you like better from a fun point of view but i just think the warden is more effective, but not by much.
  5. ARCHIVED-Mogzilla Guest

Kage848 wrote:
    Why is this a problem unique to zerkers only?
    Melee skills are melee skills, if you are jut grinding quest there is no reason to not be in offensive stance and that gives a huge bonus to your c/s/p.
    The warden buff really comes in handy when doing tough stuff and you have to use your defensive stance, either class is fine, I guess I just prefer Inq.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kage848 Guest

Mogzilla wrote:
    The other melle Tank class is a guardian and he has a s/c/p buff that the zerker dosent have. The Zerker is designed to hit hard but miss often, thats why i like to get my zerker's s/c/p is to balance that out.
    Yea if your just grinding mindless solo quests than you can play any duo, i was just pointing out that in a tough fight you can go defensive and get 80+ s/c/p back ( lvl 80 mind you ).
    The tradeoff seems to be s/c/p buff of the warden vs dps/hp buff of the INQ and zerkers already got there beserk ability that gives like 30 dps and dps is the easyer thing to get from gear.
    BTW i love the INQ mind you. I have all 3 of the battle priests and theres something to be said for the Mystic too, as its the only one of the 3 that get a Str buff, and thats by far the hardest stat for a warrior priest to get high while still keeping a decent amount of wis, for power.
    I just say all this to make people aware. Of course if you like the INQ by all means play him, i already said its a soild choice.
  7. ARCHIVED-psistorm Guest

thanks for the insight :) - Im giving a warden a try at the moment too, playing around a little with the idea of it, next to leveling my inq (which Ill try to have in T5 maybe in time for TSO).
    One of the main goals is to be able to do heroic content easier, since when I use my necro, usually my friend goes down faster than i can heal, so I hope the mit buffs and better heals can sustain him to chew through a triple-up. we can take on double-ups just fine, or con yellow to orange no-ups, but triples near even con just rip through us. The only bonus my necro currently has is that she can FD and rez my friend again once the mob wandered off xD
  8. ARCHIVED-Curs3 Guest

They all have there ups and downs. Recently i took a break from my 75 berserker to try a healer class with a berserker turned out pretty well. I specced an inquisitor with the 100% melee crit then going down the wis line next. Just by myself i do 150damage ever 5 seconds with autoattack, with an illy in group it goes down to 3.5 or 4 i believe. Then i also have a dps buff that i put on me and him, seems to work out pretty well. Also being 75 berserker i played with warden and fury.. heal wise and utility warden is good. extra damage and basic utility.. so far i see inq. bottom line if you got time, try them all out and make a decision.
  9. ARCHIVED-Kain-UK Guest

I'd personally suggest Warden...
    Myself and my girlfriend duo a lot... she's an 80 warden, specced to heal on melee attack and i'm an 80 zerker. Keeping me alive while in offensive stance isn't a problem for her, and in harder heroic content (when we get a group together), she can still keep me up in offensive, or I can change to defensive without loosing too much aggro to make things a bit easier.
    We've found it's a pretty damn good combi. :)
  10. ARCHIVED-psistorm Guest

warden sounds interesting, atm though i got my inq at 36 already, but I may well give warden a try eventually.
    Im very satisfied with the duo capabilities so far though. my friend mentored down to my level and we did some EL together, managed to take down burnspear when he was yellow. he almost died, but thats a) because he called me a p*ssy and went "oh he is weak" and ran up to him before I could get my reactive up, and b) because obviously my CA/heal timing wasnt that good yet. but still, no dirt naps and a pretty nice fight overall. killing blue triple-up briarpaws wasnt a problem either, we took down two or three before he needed to regen his mana.
    add the fact that hes mostly wearing lvl 32 MC gear at lvl 49 (yeah, ive been slacking off leveling my armorer, but its just not fun <.< - we need to get him new gear), and Im overall very happy with the performance of the duo so far. its good to know that triple-up mobs now arent an impossible feat anymore until they almost grey out, but can be taken on around even con or even above