Been Gone A Long Time

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

How is the game today?

The graphical style of this game is the most appealing of any mmo I have played. I tend to like a more realistic model as opposed to a cartoonist style. Though the graphical ceiling was lower when this game was made, I felt that was what they went for.

They took what was good about EQ1 and just made bigger and better. I could still play EQ2 today. The graphics are still good and design of the zones are very impressive. The reason I moved on from EQ2 and from mmos in general is because the mmo game itself was getting boring.

If you take away the skin of the game. That's the graphics. The basic game of EQ2, when I play last, was the same in EQ1 and other mmos. The game was to agro what you can handle and defeat it. I played it for years. I loved it and it was enough because my imagination did some work too. Eventually, I understood the computer behind the skin. It was just too simple and because it was, the illusion granted by the wonderful artwork was dispelled.

I began to need them to have acting ability. A Beholder needed to act in a different character than a human. Yet, they all were the same machine.

How is the game today? Do the developers have any plans to improve the illusion?
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Kittik Well-Known Member

I don't believe EQ and EQ2 are similar in any fashion. I also don't think any NPC AI of any sort or any change to NPC behaviors have really been reworked all that much. But I've recently started playing again on the newest Time Locked Progression server and am having a good time.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The AI parameters for different creatures vary depending on what it is. And they vary by what spells and detriments that mob can cast. High-level named mobs especially need you to figure out a strategy to kill them (once you have figured it out, or become enough more powerful that you can ignore the strategy and just burn it super fast it's easy).

Don't ask up, though. Get in game and try it. You can play free, and decide if you want to reactive your subscription.

Do note that if you have a mercenary and are at low levels, the merc is just going to blow through everything, removing the challenge.
    Breanna, Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.