Becoming A Better Necromancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Kski93, May 19, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-endaemoniada Guest

2 things to know if you want to be a better necro :smileywink: :

. Mage pet is breaking mezz, could be very very ennoying during raid.

. May be you should reconsider AA lines, I don't discuss about better line but how to distribute points. AA is running like standard spell lines, 1 point App1, 2 points App2 etc... So now may be it could be interesting to have some AA at Adept3 level, AA like Minion's Zeal (AGI line) for example, this AA gives Critical hits chance. May be you could find better tuning than 4448 ...

It's my first test, before that I was thinking 4448 etc... with LU24 I've /respec my AA, my AGI line is at the moment 447, I don't think I will go for the last "spell", ShadowStep cost is too high and finally I'm not sure it's very interesting, I will probably upgrade some AA to AdeptXw

Edit : the second point is probably redundant, some things have already written above (sorry for that)
    Message Edited by endaemoniada on 06-22-2006 02:07 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Audabon Guest

Zain60:
    For me my mage has never had trouble landing any of his spells with Master 1 offensive stance. I also use my mage pet about 90% of the time when i'm raiding. You are right though Str/Wis line is deffinately a viable choice that I didn't go over and probably should put into it. It opens up to a lot more versatility, letting you use the assassin/mage pet and even the tank pet whenever you want without any negatives. After the LU if i'm not mistaken they still haven't touched our mage pet so I still plan on remaining with my Str/Int line build. You can do whatever you like though I was just giving suggestions : )

SPAM_is_bad:
    Well you can use darkness line if you realllllly want to but the thing is, I wouldn't wanna pull anything with that spell on a RAID which is what this article is for. I really have never had the time to cast this spell on a raid, with deathrot up so much more often I would easily rather cast that then this spell. The spell does have it's uses outside of raid though so keep on using it.

Uther2000:

With the upcoming LU changes as much as were [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]ing and moaning, mechanic wise not all that much is changing. This article I feel will still be viable, I may have to go back and adjust a few things in it though. I believe our dumbfires are taking a slight hit, and of course our scout pet is taking a pretty huge hit.
    Marrius Vischar 70 Necromancer
    Halycon Affinity

since when do necros pull with anything in raids? :p we have tanks for that in my guild :)
    Message Edited by Audabon on 06-28-200606:26 PM
    Message Edited by Audabon on 06-28-2006 06:26 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Boran Guest

Casting order - I normally drop my debuffs first, not only helps me but helps other disease casters in my guild. Use of any spell that procs lich is a filler too, there are occasions where I will have a gap that the darkness spell fills quite nicely.

To the above poster, necro pet pulls used to be a great way of bring a mob to the raid (haven't played for a few months so not sure if there are any new agro changes I've missed).
  4. ARCHIVED-turek Guest

Great info post. Sticky would be great
  5. ARCHIVED-Yrrkoon Guest

Utility
    I like the topic of utility because i've found the necro has a ton of it.. There are times when things go sour and you have a ton of options that can save the group or raid.. Lets go through some of them.
    1. FD - One of the most obvious ones but often when things are going *really* bad, a last restort is to run to someplace a bit safer (no mobs, no roamers, no AOE's/barrages going off there) and FD so you can rez your group after the wipe.
    2. Hearts - In longer encounters you can give folks hearts for power regenning.
    3. STUNS - If a tank pulls too many mobs and things get dicey, stun a mob to bide time and help healers/tank.
    4. Fear - If a tank pulls too many mobs and things get dicey, quickly switch to one of the mobs and fear him to bide time and help healers/tank.
    5. LifeBurn - If a tank pulls too many mobs and things get dicey, quickly switch to one of the mobs and LifeBurn it down. It'll pull the mob off the tank (typically) and quickly reduce the number of mobs beating on him. If there is risk of the mob killing you, LB and then FD (LB works while FD'd) so you and your pet remain alive. Sometimes i use a STUN instead of FD. Don't forget to sick your pet on the mob as well. Hit X to stand up immediately after the mob is down and resume beating on another mob. Obviously you're trying to quickly reduce the number of mobs in the encounter to survive the encounter.
    6. Undead Tied - Again if the tank pulls too many mobs and things get dicey, one option is to sick undead tied on one of the mobs to burn it down quickly. Often this will not be a move he is directly taunting so it'll also pull it off him in time.
    7. HEAL - somewhat minor but sometimes healing the tank can make a the difference.
    8. Tank Buff - I forget the name of the spell but there is one spell you get which will increase the mitigation of the tank by 400 or so. It's one of the spells you get by spending your essences. I typically save it and only use it for tough spots..
    So to recap if things get dicey, you can quickly save your group by doing multiple things to multiple targets. you can Fear, LB, undead tied, and stun 4 seperate mobs.. You can buff/heal the tank. And you can FD some place as a last resort. Sometimes when you are ranging a mob and the tank is about to go down, purposefully pulling aggro (through LB or anything else) and making the mob kite to you can be enough to allow the healers to get the tank back up. If you're quick you can survive with a timely FD returning the mob to the tank.
  6. ARCHIVED-Darq Guest

PvP casting order (scout pet)

of course it all depends on the situation, when you get jumped, usually by scouts, and on equal level the chances for survival are very slim,
    STUN + send pet
    DEBUFF STA+WIS our spells and pet(s) deal relatively more damage and have a better chance to land
    LIFEDRAIN to recover from the initial attack
    call back pet + FEAR
    run to close to max rooting range, not too far, to too near
    ROOT + LIFEBURN

while lifeburning LIFEDRAIN + [COIL + SINGLE DOT + GROUP DOT] or [COIL + ZOMBIE + RATS ] and send your pet once root broke
    should the enemy survive this, you're in for a good beating now, don't panic
    CLOUD
    DARKNESS
    and RUN, hope your pet will finish him off, and stop for a quick root and continue running

of course this is just one of many strategies and depends on the situation
    remember, stun fear and root are your friends
  7. ARCHIVED-desinence Guest

i think something key missing from your evaluation of the mage pet is your lack of understanding in using it...

/pet ranged <-----------try that one some time, its vital to using a mage pet.
  8. ARCHIVED-Jasuo Guest

Or your lack of understanding how old this thread is and that the command wasn't always in game.
  9. ARCHIVED-Sola Guest

Sciomar@Najena wrote:
    You're right Sciomar. You're in the top raiding guild on our server I believe. Care to write us a new one so we can have the devs put this one to burial?
  10. ARCHIVED-Germs666 Guest

can we trash this now?
  11. ARCHIVED-MMORefugee Guest

Does thread necromancy count as a class ability?