Beastlord Advice & Questions

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by gaymer77, Feb 2, 2017.

1. gaymer77 Active Member

Thought I'd move this over here to this thread to discuss beastlords and get advice on them since I decided that's probably the scout I'm making for my melee dps class.

1. I understand about that there are 15-17 (number has changed depending on who I've spoken to lol) different pets you can get as a BL. I know you have to go out & capture them. I know they have to be ranked up (adept >> Grandmaster) but do they have their own level or is it based on your level? Like if they're journeyman are they always a certain level & have health based on that rank they are compared to GM and they are lvl 100 with lvl 100 health and whatnot?

2. When you acquire each pet, I understand that they are starting out rank but are they lvl 1 as well or are they the lvl of the pet before you capture it or are they YOUR level when you capture it?

3. Like other scouts, do they prefer mail armor? What about what kinds of weapons should I be using? What about ranged weapons, should I be using a bow or should I be using throwing weapons?

4. I understand that they have stances (def & aggressive) and those can't be changed while you're in combat but can you change pets while in combat or no?

Lastly, any advice for someone who wants to play one?
  2. santargria Well-Known Member

You level them as you adventure - they have their own levels

Their health is not the same as yours since you have gear and buffs they do not share, - but they are still very powerful and fun

They start at level 1 no matter your level - some need a special ability to tame which requires a quest

I use chain but you can also use leather - I've just never found leather with the stats I want

For ranged I prefer throwing

I also dual wield most mobs, but have a macro to switch out the off hand and use a shield for tougher mobs

There are 2 stances Feral - DPS and Spiritual - DPS/Healing - I usually solo in Spiritual and when grouped with good healers go Feral BEFORE dungeons or mobs

At first glance this class seem to be easy enough to play (and it is very easy to solo to 100) - the trick really is to play it well and accent the group rather than just DPS your way to the top of the parse.

There are several specific quests (I won't spoil them here) you can do aside from the Epic Weapon.

Wiki (http://eq2.wikia.com/) and Zam (http://eq2.zam.com) are your friends - Zam is mostly outdated these days, but works pretty well until you get to Zek/KA expansions

If you've not gotten a Merc - get one. I use a healer merc "Kluuron" (came with a pre-order expansion) who rocks but there are quite a few others in game both you can buy and "find" to hire that are really good as well.

The best tip I can give you is try to avoid using the Beastlord Hotbar - it basically SUCKS BIG TIME and they refuse or don't know how to fix it.

I drag the icons to my regular hot bars so they stick - I have one set for Feral and one set for Spritiual.

The easiest way to do this is drag your "Until Canceled" buffs to a macro page and use them there to free up enough slots for both beastlord hot bars.

There is a macro you can set to hide the bar - /togglebeastlordwindow

I have not figured out how to auto hide the beastlord bar so it doesn't appear on login - maybe someone else knows

and /togglesavagerywindow which hides your savagery bar - I leave this one up though for reference - it's easy to move it to a side and doesn't directly affect fighting

Mostly though - have fun.

If you like pet classes this one is great
  3. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

About warders :) check my profile - I have them all, and all at level 6
    Basically just read EQ2 Wiki regard warders and EQ2Wire but in the nutshell
    Exotic warders (dire, mythical, enchanted, drake) - come from AA skill that you need to develop, Insect warder you can tame once you complete corresponding quest
    Honestly in current state of game you do not need "all" warders - I'd say at bare minimum get dire, drake (those 2 a must) since they give you BiS 5th and 6th primal (upon leveling them to level 6)
    Upon taming warders comes at level 1, if you tame warder from same type all it does for you just change appearance (like there are variation what ppl using as a dire ware - I like raptor) health of warders related to their skills and I suggest for you finish spirit time line for BL because end reward will allow you instantly level 1 warder to level 6 (I highly recommend do this with dire warder) plus you will get 6 addition skill points for you warders
    On the side note: I found that for me best defensive warder is bear, for offensive I use dire and enchanted and sometime insect (due to my spec for ascending)
    Best place to level up warders is some heroic contested dungeon from 1 or 2 x-pack back. My favorite spot was High Keep Contested (Vessir Islands)
    The only armor you can use is chain, weapons nowadays do not play any roles what so ever they just slots that give you stats and some effects, you autoattack will yield you less then 1% of you damage. The only thing you care regard ranged is delay (that and stats with proc effect)
    yes you can flip from feral (offensive) to spiritual (defensive) during combat but because they use different increment you will need rebuilt either spirituality or savagery in order to use your primals
    Beastlord is fun class to play very self efficient, highly popular in group and in high demand for raiding force. 2 drawbacks here - first is BL IS gear depended (like all scouts) second is BL not as simple as shawsh or conjuror, playing BL do require some attention to what you doing. In the essence BL is warlock of scouts :) - you need to learn how to fast build increments and when blow your chain of primal for maximum damage
    Dude likes this.
  4. gaymer77 Active Member

I just tried out a lvl 95 heroic BL and thought it was pretty cool. I did make another one to level up though. My question is where do I go to pick up these quests for the class? Also is there a way to move the BL toolbar because it doesn't allow for much room for other spells?
  5. Healsu Active Member

Hey there

First off I would greatly recommend finding a good guild on what ever server you are playing that are catering to low level players that way you can get in game answers to your questions.
    Second eq2wiki has a lot of great information regarding the class and the quests you should focus on. The best part of this game is running around figuring stuff out trying different things dieing and winning.
    Do not try and use anyone elses AA specs as they are most likely from players in top tiers and gear and will be completely different from your lower lvl play style.
    Hitting F10 will bring up all windows so that they can be moved around to fit your play style as well.
    AND what ever you do DONT rush lvling your Beast Lord find all your warders lvl them up and learn the class. Do your class specific quests when your at the lvl you can get them. Far to many Beat lords out there that just suck cause they didn't take the time to learn how everything works they just think copy and paste AA specs and gear is fine.
  6. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Yeah the worst thing would be at level 100 and trying to tame low level warders. I'd suggest taming all the types of warders you can and then use them one by one till they hit grandmaster and then switch to the next warder. Be sure to get the 'blue paw' and do an advantage before killing the mob so your warder gets exp. I spent lower levels in spiritual mode once I got it just to make it easier to level the warder without killing the mob too soon.
    At higher levels you will probably use feral the most. But spiritual comes in handy in a group if they need power replenishment and a bit of extra healing.
  7. Anjel Member

8. Anjel Member

9. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

timing warders pose no problem at any levels - some need to be "grey" conned (or below 25% if they not grey anyway - which is btw a lot hard to achieve).
    Hit - you have none damaging snare spell - use it to pull grey conned mobs (make sure you suspend merc, make sure you turn off autoattack)
  10. gaymer77 Active Member

OK so some more questions:

1. How exactly do I gain ranks on my summon warder spell for each animal? I've been killing crap all over the place & not power leveled at all and I'm 41 with 1 pet who is only a journeyman. I haven't even bothered taming any other pet yet because I can't figure out how to rank up this pet I have already. Tonight I spent almost 3 hours by myself in Kalimdum or whatever its called soloing stuff and I didn't rank up at all in there.

2. Until I get the exotic taming ability, what pet would you recommend using for an offensive pet? I currently have a wolf but I like cats too and was thinking of taming one if I can figure out the answer to #1 and get the wolf ranked up some first.

3. Speaking of cats, I was on teh EQ2Wire site and saw a red ghost cat & it says eternal chapel guardian @ Shard of Love. What zone is that in and where abouts in the zone. Also how is the zone set to 50-60 since it mentions making sure the zone is set to that.

4. Is it wise to set power level my AA by setting my exp to AA conversion to 100% just so I can tame exotics sooner?
  11. Entropy Well-Known Member

As long as you land an Advantage or Primal on a mob, your warder will gain a bit of exp for that kill.
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

1. basically until up to you hit level 100 leveling warders SLOW and painful - hence simply endure it :) do not forget do spirit timeline of quest in the end you will get portion that grant to 1 or your warders GM level instantly (I'd suggest save it for dire)
    2. cat, dogs don't really matter - I'd say stick with dog as you WILL need this warder to GM to get arguable best damage primal - savage ravaging. But from usefulness point of view I'd go with Bat (many AoE/PBAOE spells nice for pulling whole place :D). Btw DO insect taming quest - should you choose use Thaumatugist ascending (which your probably shouldn't ... :D) insect warder do massive nox debuff. On other hand IF you do use at occasion spiritual stance (and you again probably shouldn't) I'd highly recommend catch the bear (it does massive healing self and you)
    3. That's probably because zone was agnostic but I'd personally don't give a damn about zone - just go to common land catch yourself lion :)
    4. Nope is not - the way of current level is set that no matter even if you set AA to 0% by level 90 you WILL have 285AA :) - hence be patient you will get your exotics soon enough (specially if you level yourself in agnostics). Imo you thinking to much about exotic warders they needed really only to get primals nowadays role of warders is simply generate weakness (your primary tool to getting savagery increments) and you really won't start grinding warders until you get past level 95 or better say past level 100. I do recall that at time my BL hit mark level 100 I think I had only 2or 3 warders at GM level - dire (with portion), drake (for dragon breath - 5th primal) and I think bat (racial pet)
  13. gaymer77 Active Member

Two questions:

1) Where do you start the quest to get one GM warder? I was told its Butcherblock but I don't know exactly where I go there.
    2) I'm on http://eq2wire.com/beastlord-warders/15/ and looking at all the dire warders (I hit 80 tonight and had enough AA to get it actually before 80) and was wondering if all the dire warders have the same spells or does say a sabertooth have different spells than a dire wolf or a raptor?
  14. gaymer77 Active Member

Ok so scratch #2 off the list of needing to know as it was answered in general chat this morning. Still need to know about #1 though.