Bags and Harvesting Bags

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-tecninja, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-tecninja Guest

What is/are the biggest harvesting bag you can get and how do you get it.

Also other then gathering specific bags, what are the other biggest bags you can get in the game, through crafting or questing ect?

I need to be able to carry more stuffs!!!
  2. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

Harvesting - 36-slot Wantia sack (quested from Mara) - requires level 48 or thereabouts. Will hold harvested items only.
    General - Get yourself as much strength gear and buffing as you can. Carry 36-slot redwood boxes. They hold anything.
    You can also get a tink bag which has (if memory serves) 32 slots, 99% weight reduction, though I think you need adventuring levels for it. It also holds anything.
    There's a couple of collection quests, for the Large and Huge collecting bags, 24 and 30 slots if I'm not misremembering, and they'll also hold anything. I seem to recall the large is from Nektulos needles and the huge is from feerrott fern collections, but I could be wildly mistaken.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rqron Guest

Just make sure you can carry whatever you are using otherwise you may end up crawling :=)) anyway as most of the large bags you get from quests do not have weight reduction and if you are a mage or other "low strength" character it would be better to equip with the largest master crafted bags and swap them out as needed for the larger harvesting bag. This way if you do harvesting and adventuring you don't run out of str.

I personally believe that running around adventuring and / or harvesting using strong boxes is odd.. I wish the Dev's would show strong boxes on characters and don't let them fight with them equipped...lets get "real" (as much as you can get in a fantasy game) even in the wildest fantasy novels whoever heard about the hero hauling 6 big heavy strongboxes, wielding the weapon and shield at the same time and fight some heroic bad guy?

J.C.
  4. ARCHIVED-Looker1010 Guest

Wantia bag quest in the Village of Shin, for the 36 slot harvesting bag, requires you be at least a level 50 crafter and have 240 harvesting skills.
  5. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

Rqron wrote:
    Ahh, but whoever heard of weightless ore, or any of those same heroes hauling around more than one backpack, or more than a bare few other bags? Who ever heard of the hero carrying 6 bags each containing a dozen or more items of heavy armour and weaponry? I mean I could carry 6 strongboxes full of plate chestpieces if I wanted, and I know some scouts and fighters can carry far more.
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's sad that bags have such a limited market (basically mages only) but I don't think a hard and fast mechanism to prevent boxes' use while adventuring is appropriate, especially at this stage of the game. There'd be a revolt among 50-75% of the playing population if it happened, for one thing. The genie's out of the bottle and stuffing him back in will be costly and painful for Sony - so it simply won't happen. I do favour investigation of some means to revalue bags and limit the extent to which scouts and fighters (and to a degree, some priests and mages) are able to exploit the boxes' greater capacity. I just think it has to be gingerly handled, so that people like me don't fly off the handle :)
  6. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Jehannum wrote:
    A carpenter can make a 12 slot regular box at the same time he can make a 14 slot box from the advanced recipe. One tier later, he can make a 14 slot regular box. Guess which box never gets sold? Right. The 14 box advanced. Since there is no differnece between the two 14 slot boxes for the player, there is no reason to buy the one from the advanced recipe. But the carpenter has to make the 14 slot advanced recipe to get the first time exp points. The only advanced boxes that get sold are at the top tier of the game.
    Same thing with bags, but at least with those there is weight reduction with the advanced bag. However, no one ever buys anything smaller than the max bag available unless they are a completely broke noob and even then a friendly guildie will probably pass down larger bags.
    I dont' begrudge fighters and scouts their extra carrying capacity. It isn't worth worrying about. Every class finds an advantage somewhere.
    But why have both bags and boxes in the game? Bags for higher levels are larger than boxes from lower levels, but everyone can use the higher level ones. Actually, the only thing the low level ones are good for is the first time crafting bonus. Hey, the recipe is more important to have than the item. Please don't remove these recipes. As a matter of fact give us more useless recipes:) Not kidding. When I'm leveling a tradeskiller, every extra point is worth a fortune.
  7. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

Rqron wrote:
    Agree. Would be interesting if strongboxes had stats like -15 agi / -15 sta / -5 haste. Perhaps the next generation game...
  8. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

I don't agree in nerfing something if it aint broke. A character that can carry strong boxes has made a choice in that character as in they have enough str to actually do it. For some classes this is easy for others well it would be a penality. Personally i would rather suggest just make bags the same size as boxes and be done with it. Leave bags have the advantage of having weight reduction and then watch all of those "he-man's" swap over to bags!!
  9. ARCHIVED-Lortet Guest

The harvest only bags help with bag sorting if used in a certain way. I place my big harvesting bag in slot one, but place it last in the user interface view. That way, when I harvest the harvestables drop into the first slot they can occupy - which is in the "last bag" on view. Nothing else (other than a few bugged items) then get mixed with the harvestables. (I know, I could leave it anywhere when viewing the bags, but I just find this convenient)
  10. ARCHIVED-Te'ana Guest

There is no longer a need to order your harvest bag in slot one. Harvestables always go into a harvest bag first. This dates back to when they introduced harvest bags as a crafting quest reward.
    Once upon a time characters started out with a single 4 slot bag. Bags of any sort were quite costly and bag quests were very popular. The huge for its day 10 slot bag from the the Tour of Antonica was highly sought after. Small 4 and 6 slot bags could and can still be purchased from NPCs at a relatively modest cost, but still a fortune for new players 3 years ago.
    You can still get bags from quests and collections. But nowadays characters start off with a 10 slot bag and large bags can be purchased cheaply enough off the broker that even new players can afford them.
    This link will take you to a list of available bag quests.
    http://eq2.tentonhammer.com/index.p...id=131&meid=149
  11. ARCHIVED-tecninja Guest

Thanks for the link to the bag quests.
  12. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

Silken@Butcherblock wrote:
    I have found that bags sell quite well, even though my tailor can only make T6 ones currently.

For roleplay reasons none of my toons normally carry strongboxes when adventuring (only if I was crafting with them and for got to put the box of raws bag in the shared bank).
    Given the demand for bags I have to conclude that I am not the only one that does this.

With the box size having reached the cap of the current mechanics, something is going to have to change by the time the next tier is added.
    Boxes that can only be used in bank/vault slots like sales crates would be good.
    Starting with a rare T8 one would be good.
  13. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    I like that idea! Then people would still be free to make the choice to carry boxes but they'd have a penalty that wouldn't limit a carpenter's ability to make them (and drag them to the broker/bank). Especially if it was a cumulative (the more you carry the lower your stats).

My suggestion on the detrimental effects, though, would be to cover all the skills, agility (which is part of avoidance), and wisdom (help resists) because it should effect all classes and not just fighters and scouts:
    -15 agi / -15 wis / -5 haste / -5 dps / - 5 focus / +5% to casting time / -5 to range / -5 to melee / -5 disruption / -5 ministration / -5 subjegation / -5 ordination / etc
  14. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

Hopefully they can come up with a good solution by the time T9 boxes come out, or something else similarly desirable to take their place in the recipe books. I can predict the results of several of our proposed solutions here... :)
    Solution: Prevent characters outright from carrying boxes
    Result: Blood in the streets, spilled by every level 20+ scout and fighter in the game, plus a number of melee-specced healers - possibly even a mage or two.

Solution: Stat/Skill/Speed reductions
    Result: Blood in the streets, as above. But slightly less of it. After all, the people with boxes will be slower and clumsier ;)

Solution: Increase bag size to box size
    Result: Blood in the crafting instances, as the carpenters simultaneously slaughter every tailor on the planet with claw hammers.

If I were making the recommendation I think it'd have to be a modification of the stat reduction option. I'd say the first box is free, and all others cost a cumulative penalty of 5 to runspeed and offensive/defensive skills. So the second box costs 5 each, the third costs an additional 10 to each, the third 15, the fourth 20 and the fifth 25. The sixth, for those math-impaired or not inclined to add it up, amounts to a total of 5+10+15+20+25+30=105 and means the toon's probably stationary (-105% speed) and is effectively 21 levels lower in terms of combat skills.
    There'd be caterwauling and name-calling and recriminations and accusations that Sony wants to drive us all away, but it just might be a mild enough alternative - and with sufficient graduation for those willing to make the trade-off - to avoid a revolt.
  15. ARCHIVED-EbonFae Guest

Jehannum wrote:
    Was with a group in CoA & got a box called Nil Space that is 99% reduction but can't recall how many slots. Chest drop from trash in room.
  16. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

Rqron wrote:
    Yeah but think of the added mitigation
  17. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

Ebonchyld@Crushbone wrote:
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about those... Think I remember 30 or 32 slots, but it's a rare drop and it's been a while since I saw it. Definitely a good catch though, and while it's lore it's also tradable so may be available on the broker - though it's liable to cost an arm and a leg. :)
    I didn't realise it could drop off trash either; I've seen it twice, once on Vekin and once on the named in that right-hand cubby leading to him.
  18. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

Jehannum wrote:
    My suggestions:
    a) boxes larger than 36 slots cancel all speed bonuses when equipped.
    or
    b) boxes larger than 36 slots can not be equipped except when empty (like sales crates).
  19. ARCHIVED-tecninja Guest

I just ended up going str spec for my inquisitor, so Now I have 2 of those 36 slot boxes. Some day i'll go do my quest to get my gathering bag too.
  20. ARCHIVED-Rqron Guest

Hmm one way to avoid the blood bath between carpenters and tailors is to make sure bags above T1 can not be placed as containers in house vaults and bank slots. Above T1 solely because this will still let complete noobs use the cheap bags from the island until they have enough coin to buy a box. Then slab any box bigger than 20 slots (20 slots because that is what a lot of quested and collection bags have and it seems to be a fine cutoff point) with stat reductions. The only reduction that would impact the game would be Str. and Agi as the only characters that can carry boxes are characters that have high strength, impact agi also as hey is you are burdened you can't really dance around either.. So slab every box with a -25 str and -25 agi and you will see it become quite even. It even could be tier dependent so the 24 slot box could be -25 the next one up -35 the next one up -45 and so on.

J.C.