bag swapping and dumping

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Eradani, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Eradani Well-Known Member

as it is, you cannot swap bags anymore. the only thing you can do is dump contents. i'd be much happier if there was a r-click on a bag to dump it and the default drag was the long-time familiar bag swap.

i keep my bags well sorted with partial stacks of items (status items, transmuting products, research potions, etc) so that i can find anything i'm looking for quickly because it's exactly where i left it in an order that makes sense to me.

i can see a time where i want to dump the contents of a bag into another bag but swapping is going to outnumber that by a factor of 100.
  2. Eradani Well-Known Member

we started talking about this on chat when i noticed that i couldn't drag inventory bags around anymore. someone else was moving bags from / to the bank so i went there to do some more testing.

- dragged bank 12 (bag) to inventory 6 (box)
    - ended up with b12 in slot i6
    - box i6 ended up inside b12(i6)
    - some of the contents of the original box i6 still existed but most where gone
    - not in overflow
    - relogged - got kicked to "This account is already in use", logged in again and tried several times before accessing my toon
    - checked overflow - nope
    - opened bags and everything was miraculously back in originial positions. someone else testing this wasn't so fortunate and was losing things

i've sent a link to the screenshots in the /bug report Bag Dumping / Swapping

------

Again, I beg you not to delete the bag swapping function. I'll try and give a better example of what I use this for as many people on test.test said they also used bag swapping for similiar purposes.

- bag 2 has my t4 rares and 3 stacks of each mat
    - in the bank is another bag with t5 rares and mats
    - i want to swap the bags to make some fancy fulginate tiles

OR

- i'm making new gear for one of my alts
    - start with the tailor and make the armor
    - swap tailor inventory 1 with shared bank 8
    - switch to jeweler, swap i1 with sb8, make stuff, and swap equipment bag back into sb8
    - switch to weapons, rinse and repeat... food, potions, spell upgrades, experimenter, adorns
    - all the time swapping whatever bag is in inventory 1 with shared bank 8 until the toon getting the gear grabs it and leaves an empty bag back in shared bank 8 for the tailor

I think if you could "<ctrl>drag" or "r-click > Dump Contents" it would be a much better implementation than deleting a long standing and much used function like Bag Swapping.
  3. Terrogaunt Developer

If you want to post the screenshots, you can always use a site like imgur or imageshack. The link that you used in the report was private, so I wasn't actually able to look at it.

Either way, I'd be happy to look into maintaining the bag swapping functionality that you're referring to. Just be sure to give me specific examples of how you would expect it to work ( keep it simple with just dragging, no Ctrl + Alt stuff please )
  4. Eradani Well-Known Member

specifically, i would expect that i could somehow indictate to the system that i wanted to actually swap containers in position A with position B. currently on live, i use l-click drag containers to accomplish this. currently on test, l-click drag dumps the contents from one container into the other.

i think since the swapping function is old and the dumping function is new, the swapping function could retain the l-click drag since people that use it already know about it and the new function could use something else.

idk exactly what key / mouse combinations you want to use but maybe:
    ctrl drag - you said you don't like this one
    r-click drag - that might not even work
    r-click > Menu item
    what else do you have available to use?

ps) sorry i put this in a separate thread. i didn't think it was bag sorting still but i guess it is.
  5. Eveningsong New Member

I'd be happy to see bag swapping kept as well. It's fairly common that I swap bag positions in my inventory, or want to swap a bag out of the bank. With bag naming, I'd like the option to actually swap the bags/boxes, not just swap contents, and definitely not dump contents into another bag unless I specifically choose to do that.

If you'd rather not add a ctrl or other key to the command, what about a pop-up when you drag a bag/box -- select dump or swap, similar to the pop-up when you are destroying something, or dragging partial stacks of items.
    Darqmyth and Eradani like this.