Backpacks on Test: Now Bigger

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Xalmat, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

This whole thread makes me LOL.
    Backpacks and strongboxes will be the same size. It will all come down to price. My 80 mages can easily carry 6 strongboxes. Either set of goods can be stuck in bank, vault or on your toon, so once again it comes to price only. Acknowledged, wood is more plentiful than pelts so tailors should expect to not sell backpacks above certain levels because once you can carry strongboxes they will be just as large and cheaper than packpacks.
    Just another good reason to be able to make both. Multi-crafting FTW. . . oh wait, different game . . . .multiple toons FTW!
  2. ARCHIVED-Jardon Guest

The only thing I don't want to see is making boxes bank only or backpacks character only, because I swap boxes between one characters inventory, and the shared bank. I will then switch to another character and swap the box from the shared bank to my inventory.
    Since we have no way to transfer then entire contents of once box/backpack to another, I don't want to give up the ability to swap a full box in inventory with the empty box in the shared bank, or the full box in the shared bank with the empty bank in inventory.
  3. ARCHIVED-Trellium Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    As others said ... weight is no issue until you mentor. If you ever mentor to the lower levels you might as well use backpacks. People who already have strongboxes will likely switch them out for backpacks since mentoring for quests is becoming common. People who have no gear and are building up may as well buy only backpacks. Since it doesn't matter which you use in the bank slots, it comes down to "do I ever swap a bag at a time?". If so then backpacks win handily, otherwise it's a draw.
    The "safe" choice is to go backpacks since they aren't at all hobbled with weight. Pricing will likely be the same unless the strongboxes get dumped from inventory, in which case the market for them collapses until they are bought up again.
  4. ARCHIVED-Purr Guest

I still think the easiest (while not the most realistic way, if there is something like that at all in any RPG) would be to reduce the strongbox weight to the weight of a bag or set them both to 10. That we are able to carry 6 containers (no matter if backpack or strongbox) is everything but realistic anyway. Simple solutions are sometimes the best.
    Would I like something fancier? Some of the ideas here are sure nice, but how easy to implement are they? And nothing prevents them from being implemented later if they are good.
    Purr~
  5. ARCHIVED-RandomStream Guest

Surely the solution is simple. Get rid of Backpacks. Make strongboxes light enough for anyone to carry.
    Tailor's don't need backpacks, they make a stack of items that have to be replaced every tier. However Carpenters do need strongboxes it is the only item they make that all players want. Even they are buy once and use till the next tier is added. (OK a lot of players want Vendor Crates but not all. As for home deocorating, most players who are heavily into that aspect of the game have their own carpenters)
    As to the economic argument, it's irrelevent for any player with a level 80 toon. 10 gold is small change, and most days you can get redwood strongboxes for 7or 8 gold. (Runnyeye prices). Why do people sell tier 8 items for 2 gold profit. I don't know. Doing a city writ pays more per item plus faction and status. But people do it! Which leaves you with some interesting questions about economics. Or is it philanthropy? Hopefully when City Tokens arrive doing writs will be more attractive. But....
  6. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Yongqi wrote:
    on test it is existing bags/and boxes.
  7. ARCHIVED-Leucippus Guest

Another 2 copper opinion
    (1) For the existing tiers, just make the bags and boxes equivalent. Really, the weight of the boxes does not mean much in this game. Yeah weight means something to some classes, but removing it from existing strongboxes would not affect the game much, if at all.
    (2) For the new tier 9 coming up, bags inventory only, strongboxes bank slot and the like only. Just outright "fix" this situation. As long at all the tier 9 items hold more than the previous tiers, the situation will correct itself.
    (3) For the quested bags, have them give a bonus to the "Ample Harvest" or "Bountiful Harvest" feature. For that matter, use that feature as a way to give flavor to different bags.
    (4) Have the storage container on the broker affect: (a) the commission (b) the sort order for equal priced items, after commission of course; so, say, for two items of equal price, the one in the strongbox would always appear before one in a bag on the broker, or some other similar arrangement.

I suppose a summary could be, currently (i) weight, (ii) weight reduction, (iii) size, and (iv) broker commission distinguish bags and boxes.
    Change that situation to: (i) weight, (ii) weight reduction, (iii) size, (iv) broker commission, (v) "Ample Harvest" bonus, (vi) broker sort order, (vii) allowed usage, and (viii) legacy considerations; i.e. T1-T8 boxes and bags.
    -Leucippus
  8. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Right now since non-rare salescrate isn't an option, I'm suggesting equalizing weight of existing boxes and bags and just removing the strong box recipe come expansion time. Replace it with specialty boxes for harvests, armor etc. like sales crates making them ideal for long term storage of items like appearance items, alt item storage, harvests etc. and situational in inventory. If you aren't inclined to get rid of strong boxes, then the boxes= bags is tolerable but I'm not keen on duplicate items that do the exact same thing.
  9. ARCHIVED-Leucippus Guest

Another 2 copper
    For tier 9 anyway:
    (1) Strongboxes are house vault only
    (2) Salesman's crates are broker only, would need some non rare ones though
    (3) Bags are inventory only
    -Leucippus
  10. ARCHIVED-Karrane1 Guest

I dont understand why anyone feels the need to lock strongboxes to the bank. I dont understand why anyone feels the need to penalize someone for using strongboxes over bags. Great!! Tailors will be able to make big bags for ppl that want them. I am happy for them. But I dont think any bags or boxes should be limited to where you can use them. I exchange boxes from my vault or from the shared bank all the time when I am crafting, esp on my carpenter. It would be a huge inconvience to have to juggle things around because I cant put that box in my inventory. My 2 copper: Leave everything alone... let tailors make their new bags.. let capenters make their strongboxes.. and let everyone decide for themselves what they want to use for whatever reason. And PLZ dont remove our recipe for the strongboxes !!! Lets just add insult to injury 8(
  11. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Best solution:
    Just remove ALL strongboxes from the game and replace them with the new supercrafted backpacks. After this change there is NO point to strong boxes. They basically become higher weight backpacks without weight reduction mods. Remove the recipes for strong boxes. Just make backpacks the default carry item. It will actually make sense lore wise and most carpenters already say strongboxes dont sell anyway so who cares. Someday in the future if you think you need a bank box then go ahead and recreate new bank storage boxes. I am sure you can think of a ton of new ideas for them.
  12. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Karrane1 wrote:
    Mostly because boxes/bags have been fubar'd since release. The lower level recipes are almost completely universally useless. A lvl 1 toon runs around with a tier 8 or tier 9 bags/boxes with no consequence. Since pre-dof 90% of the players base used strongboxes instead of bags because bags were smaller, more expensive and were worse then strongboxes. Domino eventually added WR to rare bags but that did nothing to change status qou. Now bags will be the same size or larger, have virtually no weight and offer a 10% wr. Boxes are now completely useless from level 1-90. Whats the point of strongboxes again? There would be absolutely No inconvience if boxes just disappeared and magically all your supplies were moved into equivilant backpacks. In actuality you end up making out because instead of having a strong box you now have all your supplies in 10% weight reduction bags that have no weight. If anyone can find a single reason why i should use strongboxes over backpacks I will love to hear it, but at this point they are not worth using at all; even in tier 9 the new strongboxes are already useless.
  13. ARCHIVED-Faidros Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    On nagafen as of today:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ie, wood is about 100 times more expensive than pelts. (though, compared to fuel price it can basically be ignored anyhow)

Why would anyone buy a strongbox?

Still think the idea of having strongboxes larger than bags but too heavy to carry around is basically sound. Give the strongboxes the same percentual increase in size as the bags but make them a thousand times more heavy.
  14. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Leiv@Venekor wrote:
    The thing is that, since launch, the question has been "why buy a backpack?" Ballancing on this was mentioned ages and ages ago by Beghn or Friznick (I'd have to look it up), but they then made weight a reletively useless stat in the game and it never happened.
    It's just reballancing. It'll settle out.
  15. ARCHIVED-Svetty Guest

Calthine wrote:
    How will it settle out?
    They are making backpacks more desirable and strongboxes less thus removing them as a way for carpenters to earn money. Why exactly will anyone want strongboxes for anything once they make the changes to the backpacks?
    I have no qualms if they make backpacks larger but do not do it to the detriment of strongboxes. An option would be to make the backpacks larger but not as large as strongboxes so they will be more desirable as items to carry around but not so desirable as to completely make strongboxes obsolete.
    Having faith in the devs is great and all but when that faith becomes blind devotion it is a bad thing. When you lose the ability to think critically in regards to how their proposed changes will affect the game we pay to play then you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your position.
  16. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Having strongboxes be bank only was something that was originally planned for EQ2 at launch. Unfortunately they couldn't get the code for making strongboxes bank only working, and just left it as is.
    Perhaps the best solution is either to make Strong Boxes weigh significantly less than they do, or make bags = boxes minus two slots. It will still be win/win for tailors compared to now.
    One concern I have is that other bags are suddenly going to reduce in value. I can see the following bags no longer worth the time or money to acquire, at least at level 90 (and perhaps even at level 80):
    * Bag of Sewn Evil Eye
    * Bag of the Tinkerers
    * Box of Nil Space
    * Wantia Artisan's Satchel
    * Large Collector's Pouch
    * Huge Collector's Pouch
    * Dirby's Work Satchel
    * Any and every low level quested backpack or bag.
    Keep in mind, carpenters have many, many more items that sell than tailors besides just boxes and bags. The market for tailor goods at high levels is limited: Once players outlevel mastercrafted gear and acquire gear upgrades, tailored armor ceases to be useful. On the other hand there's always a market for even level 1 carpenter furniture.
  17. ARCHIVED-Svetty Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    That is dependant on what server you play on, actually.
  18. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    Not really because only mages worry about weight. If nothing else is to be done, bags= boxes in every way is just the best solution since everything else has a clear loser and the only people worried about weight post 30 are mages.
  19. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Svetlanavera@Nagafen wrote:
    I've spent more plat on furniture for one house than I have for bags and boxes for every toon I have since launch. Heck, I think I tipped the carpenter more that how much I've spent on bags and boxes. Saying the only thing a carpenter sells is boxes just means you arn't good at finding a customer. Developing a reputation as an interior decorator means people come looking for you instead of just plopping random peices of furniture on the broker and hoping someone doesn't undercut you.
  20. ARCHIVED-Svetty Guest

Meirril wrote:
    I never said it was just about plopping things down on the broker and I never said that boxes are the ONLY thing a carpenter sells. I did say that each market on the different servers is different because they are. Nagafen doesn't have much of a market for decorating. I am still leveling my carpenter up so I haven't been pushing to change that much yet.
    I am just pointing out that no one can make over reaching statements that carpenter's goods sell wonderfully everywhere unless you have played on every server.

spelling is good...