Awesomium!

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Misia, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The really aggravating thing is that this WASN'T an issue until just recently; used to be, the AwesomiumProcess.exe would quietly fold up and go away when LaunchPad did, politely, and this idiotic multiple awesomium_process.exe crap has only been a recent issue (May, was it?). If it's across the board, though, it may be something the idiots at "Awesomium!!1!" did to everyone and they need to get their ***** in gear and FIX the stupid thing. >:-/

Uwk
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oog...never mind; thanks... ;->

Great name, BTW; from "Man of La Mancha" or the original novel? :)

Uwk
  3. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Completely fabricated. Have never seen or read Man of La Mancha, to be honest. :oops:
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The original novel was Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes; Man of La Mancha was the Broadway musical (eventually a movie with Peter O'Toole in the lead role; meh. He couldn't sing that well, and after hearing Richard Kiley in the stage cast album, I'm kinda spoiled). I actually preferred the musical, for the ending. (spoiler) It could be seen as perhaps a less happy ending than the book, but that depends on your point of view, I guess. (/spoiler)

The book is a--oh, let's call it a wee tad LONG, but it was one of the original novels of the modern era, and after translating it from the original Renaissance-era Spanish, things could've been lost along the way or padded. I highly recommend looking up the Broadway album (especially with Richard Kiley, though the usual recording of that one has been truncated for some odd reason [possibly for time]; still the best, IMHO). It's where the song, "To Dream the Impossible Dream" comes from (and the term quixotic; Don Quixote was the guy who, among other things, tilted [jousted] at windmills). :)

Dulcinea was the actual spelling of the gal's name, but yours was close enough to catch my eye. :)

Uwk
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I sort of caught the tilting at windmills part over the years, but had no idea there was a girl in the story. Yeah, 1 letter difference...coincidence totally, however.
  6. Shamus9 Active Member

Adding a File Security Tab in Windows XP:
    It has been awhile since I used this. It has been awhile since I worked on someone's XP too, lol. All of my people bring me Vista, Win 7, & Win 8 nowadays. April 2014 is supposed to be the end of support date for XP, so it was pretty hard to find an active link for the XP security tab addition. When I last used this, it worked very well. (I downloaded & checked the file just now on my own machine, but I no longer have XP on any of my test pcs so I couldn't load it. I scanned the file which came up clean & extracted it to a folder I made & scanned that too just to check. It was also clean.)

1.Download Security Configuration Manager Tool (SCESP4I.EXE) from Microsoft from the link below.
    2. Create a new empty folder. Name it “Security Tab”. You will be extracting the file to this folder.
    3.Double click the SCESP4I.EXE and extract the contents to the “Security Tab“ folder you just created.
    4.Go to the folder where the SCESP4I.exe contents are extracted (your new “Security Tab“ folder), locate the Setup.inf (Setup Information) file (The one that is 9 KB in size).
    4.Right click on Setup.inf and select Install.
    5.Reboot the computer after installation is finished.
    You can now see the security tab when you view the properties for the drive, file or folder.
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/tools/SCM

The following info was copy/pasted from notes I had taken a long time ago & saved. It may also be of use to you:

(Warning though, misconfigured permissions will make your drives, files and folders inaccessible to everybody. Administrator account will also be locked out from the resources. Some advice on permissions setting is that Deny Permissions take precedence over Allow Permissions, regardless of your group membership, and Administrators are members of the User’s group, by default. If you deny access to the User’s group, Administrators won’t be able to access. So, try to Uncheck Allow, rather than using Deny.)

Hope this helps! :)
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Me too! I'll have to try that out. ;->

Thanks! :)

Uwk
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Bad news, folks; at least on Test, they're working their way around our workarounds. :-/

Just had The Bratz rear their ugly heads again in Task Manager (after many blissful hours of peace, free from their interference, helped by logging into EverQuest2.exe directly, bypassing LaunchPad), and after looking for the original awesomium_process.exe file in my Program Files in vain, I did see something new:

awesomium_1_7.dll

which seems to be one of those "very important library files so you better not touch it, kid" things. Tried to shut off The Bratz in Task Manager anyway, and >pop!< no luck, they came back immediately. :-/

Devs, WHY was it so very, very crucial that the hineys of Awesomium, Inc. had to be kissed that our systems are drowning in Memory Usage for no discernible reason whatsoever? Why can't we be allowed to do what we need to do to preserve our systems? Why the heck can't we get rid of these idiotic things if we don't feel the need to use them? >:-/

Uwk
    getting a wee bit disgusted and fed up

EDIT: well, thank goodness, it's down to only one Brat. It's still one more than desired. --U. :-|
  9. Uncle Active Member

Uwk

that sucks man... may want to see about upgrading to vista or window 7 or 8. cause as of this morning my work around is still working flawlessly

Uncle
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, we'll probably have to by April 2014, if not before. X-P

Uwk
  11. Morg Well-Known Member

I imagine this awesomium process has to do with the links to your hard drive for the AA's, the links to things like Facebook, the players websites etc and the coding is just incorrect if you have this stuff turned OFF -
    Shamus9 and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it wasn't rearing its ugly head until May, so it does seem like a mistake on someone's part. I've got no problems whatsoever with AwesomiumProcess.exe; it behaves itself, goes away with LaunchPad, etc. (as far as I know) and in general is quite the gentleman (lady? whatever a program would be). The Bratz, however, I could definitely do without; fortunately, it seems that awesomium_process.exe is back once again in my Program Files, and I can go on a Seek and Destroy mission again (tedious, but at least it works). ;->

Uwk
    Shamus9 likes this.
  13. Shamus9 Active Member

It would be great if someone official could comment on the exact uses for this/these processes & why so many of them appear. Personally, I would just love to be able to choose not to use any of it, social media or in-game browser. An option to uncheck a box for the in-game browser so it doesn't run at all would be perfect. :p
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! You uncheck it, and regardless of what's going on, the 'Process and all its Bratz go away the minute you click. ;->

Uwk
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, boys and girls, here's an update: apparently, one of the things in the latest patch/update/whatever is that there's now an Awesomium_Process.exe FOLDER (with no files in it, not even Hidden ones) in the game directory (nothing in the update/patch/etc. notes about this, BTW; thanks so much, SOE), and I tried renaming it, deleting The Bratz in Task Manager, deleting the folder, etc., and nothing availed. The Bratz came back almost immediately, considerably larger than before (I guess they're using the .dll files, of which there are a gracious plenty now, as their rez point), and apparently angry for me daring to try to stop them from using entirely too much of my Memory, which I really can't afford them to use. Anyone have any other good suggestions for a Win XP user on how to kill these damned things once and for all, because with two of them hogging up tens of thousands of K worth of Usage, this game is rapidly becoming untenable for me. :-/

I don't use the Facebook or players' websites stuff (what I do with my characters is my business, so long as it's not against the EULA), and I loathe the new AA template non-system and cannot conceive of the need for more than 3 AA profiles, which the game could certainly store on the bloody servers. I. DON'T. NEED. THIS. If I get to "play my way," my way is being able to free myself from this non-working, non-useful inanity that eats my limited memory (which I can't upgrade, so that's not an option). >:-/

EDIT: Ah, my bad. I forgot I was trying to get into the Test Server to play my characters there (silly me!), and forgot I have to dig deeper into the program files to seek, find, and DESTROY the bloody thing. Ta! ;->

Uwk
    a-hunting I will go...
    Alenna likes this.
  16. Tensor New Member

Hi Uwkete.
    There is one more thing you could try. It wont actually kill the process, but it should reduce the active (working set) memory usage they are eating up on your system.

(Note: Be sure to double check this file with an antivirus program. The source is legit and I personally use this program downloaded from the same site, but better safe then sorry.)

Download: Process Explorer

This will open up a program similar to the task manager, but it has an extra option when you right click on an active process called "suspend". This function should work on programs that refuse to close and/or restart themselves.

I just started the game on my system to test it for you right now. I had 2 awesomium_process.exe(s) pop up.

Before suspending them:
    -Both consume roughly 50 MB of memory each (One is using 52 MB ram and the second using 49 MB ram)
    -Both occasionally access the CPU showing about 1-2% usage

After suspending them:
    -Both are uner 500 KB ram usage (One is using 284 KB and the second is using 214 KB )
    -Both are using 0% CPU and don't appear to be accessing the CPU anymore

Hopefully this will work out for you. Good luck.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ooooh...that does sound promising, indeed! :)

Will have to investigate...thanks (is the website actually affiliated with Microsoft? If so, that's reassuring)! ;->

Uwk
  18. Tensor New Member

Yeah, the website I linked to is owned by Microsoft. It was originally a resource site only accessible with a paid membership, but they unlocked some of it.
    The author of Process Explorer, Mark Russinovich, is also an employee at Microsoft.

I still recommend double checking anything downloaded these days, since it only takes a minute or two and you can never be too safe with all the spyware/adware/malware floating around the net.

:)
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot-on, but still, good to know all that! Thanks! :)

As soon as I get my desktop back from the shop (/sob; got fried shortly after your great entry!) or, probably, a new system, I'll see if I need to check it out any more... ;->

Uwk
    who might not need to any more, depending on the OS they put in any new one, but no information is ever wasted
  20. Morg Well-Known Member

I am officially down to one brat now, which will close with the /browser trick! thank you for that!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.