Awesomium!

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Misia, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's almost exactly what mine does (finally noticed the difference in the AwesomiumProcess.exe [I don't have the *32" stuff because I'm still 32-bit myself ;->] vs. the awesomium_process.exe tonight, got all excited and jumped onto the forums, only to find that many more sharp-eyed folks than myself spotted this long ago ;->), but there are times the Brats, as I lovingly refer to them, will shoot up into the 5 figures worth of K of Mem Usage. As I'm using a creaky old bugger of an XP, SP3, 32-bit etc., I can't afford to have these idiots hogging up that much memory usage, for no discernible benefit whatsoever. We don't need this to access our in-game browser, we never have, and Awesomium used to know its proper place...GONE once LaunchPad had done its thing and went away (interesting note on that; last night, since I almost always play with Task Manager up these days, I spied LaunchPad up in the middle of my hours of game play; once I killed it with Task Manager [with trepidation; didn't know if it would boot me {it didn't}], all the happy-dappy li'l awesomiums went away, too). :-/

Uwk
  2. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Just checked on the system, see two processes in task manager, as Minsia started, the one with the description of V1.6.3 goes away as soon as I get into the game and only the one with the description of render stays in task manager until I exit the game. My caveat is that this is a brand new install of EQ2 on a replacement hard drive, there are 3 installs of Launchpad pointing at separate directories for multi-boxing
  3. Morg Well-Known Member

4. Uncle Active Member

after reading this post and the other one i did some testing and found away to disable this process all together

heres what i did

i went to my eq2directory and found the Awesomium_process.exe file and right clicked it and went to the properties for it.

once in properties click the security tab and Edit the permissions to fully deny access for this program. click apply and start eq2
    itll show up when you first start but once the game launches windows will auto terminate this program to include time it trys to restart itself.

Note: this also disables your ingame browser which for me is fine

Hope this helps
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Uncle Active Member

UPdate there is also an Awesomium file in your launcher directory after i shut that one off my launcher stoopped working so do not change the access to that one.. other wise i have not had any issues
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Brilliant, dude; I shall definitely have to try this--er, the working suggestion above--method! Thanks! :)

Uwk
    crossing fingers that it works for old Windows XP systems ;->

EDIT: sigh. Okay, I guess it doesn't work for old Windows XP systems, or at least the Security options aren't part of the simple Properties box...suggestions from those of you who still have old Windows XP systems? :-/
    Uncle likes this.
  7. Uncle Active Member

sry this is a windows 7 fix. the uac(security) feature for window didnt go in until vista.. sry man
  8. Alenna Well-Known Member

sigh oh well i'm stuck with XP even if I get enough cash to have a friend build me a better gaming computer.
    Uncle and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

There's gotta be someone out there who can figure out where exactly we XP senior citizens can tweak this... :-/

Uwk
    Alenna, Morg and Uncle like this.
  10. Morg Well-Known Member

Well, the dev's did something on May 2nd update to cause this, So going back Through JUST those files would help figure it out.

What do you want to bet it is something to do with the new Housing UI window? That would be my guess. That a switch didn't get switched with that code. PITA to fix? Probably 100% yes :p But necessary to the overall server population health? Definitely 100% .

Wish they would let us know they are at least LOOKING into it.
  11. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

The routing info is good to provide...mine is still 16 hops where it was 23 hops previously.
  12. Uncle Active Member

well all i know is when i shut down the ingame broswer it helped for me at least cuase it was one less process / port open and yeah the routing stuff should help as well
  13. Tensor New Member

There is a bypass that should stop Awesomium.exe (more like Lameomium.exe) for XP users.

Here's what to do-
    1. Start the game and then alt-tab out to windows explorer
    2. Open the EQ2 folder and rename Awesomium_Process.exe to Awesomium_Process2.exe
    3. Open the task manager and end any running Awesomium_Process.exe(s)
    4. Open the EQ2 folder and delete Awesomium_Process(2).exe

Be sure to do the steps in that order, or it may not work.

(OPTIONAL)
    5. Create shortcut of EverQuest2.exe, which can be used to start the game later without the Awesomium_Process.exe. The shortcut needs to use the EverquestQuest2.exe specifically. Both EQ2.exe and LaunchPad.exe will redownload Awesomium and you will have to repeat steps 1-4.
    You will have to repeat steps 1-4 upon patching the game as well.

NOTE: Do NOT delete Awesomium.dll or the game may not start until you repatch.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

"Hops"? :confused:

Uwk
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I also get issues if I muck about with Awesomium_Process.exe in Task Manager... There are TWO "kinds," apparently; one is Awesomium_Process.exe, which actually behaves itself and shuts down properly after LaunchPad does, and the other(s) are awesomium_process.exe, which are apparently different, yet related, sort of like Awesomium-with-a-capital-A's "red-headed cousins," if you know what I mean. Those with the lower case a and p are the problem children, the brats that won't go away and take up anywhere from 4 digits worth of K of Mem Usage to 5, which is unacceptable. In Task Manager, I don't tend to mess with A and P, but if this process gets rid of The Bratz, I'll give it a shot. ;->

If Awesomium_Process.exe is up in the Task Manager, should I hold off on renaming the file until it goes away? :-/

Uwk
  16. Tensor New Member

No, you need to rename the file before attempting to kill the process otherwise it will auto restart itself. Renaming the file before you end the process(es) should prevent it from restarting, because when the Awesomium.dll (or whatever controller file) tries to restart itself it can't find the correct file name/path. This includes all the annoying extras that keep popping up.

Once that is done you should be able to end all the awesomium.exe(s) in the task manager and they should NOT pop back up.

Let me know if it is still causing problems.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the timely answer! I'm still leafing through the latest on the Homeshow forum, so I'm glad I took the time to do that before jumping in and maybe getting tangled up. ;->

Uwk
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

EDIT: hey! D'oh!! Of course! Replying to our own past posts IS a way, kind of, to "Edit" them...at any rate, I discovered that when I took some inadvertent steps in an alt's house (shortly after my eventual arrival) and got booted back to Character Select and couldn't get back in ("You already have a character in game." "YES, I KNOW, THIS IS THE CHARACTER, YOU IDIOT GAME"), I had to restart the game from the desktop, essentially from "scratch." I didn't notice it doing any more file updating, but I did notice that the awesomium_process.exe twins were rearing their ugly heads again. Sigh. :-/

I wish the devs/tech supporters would just TELL us if this is a bug or an added feature we just have to put up with (or workaround)... >:-/

Uwk
  19. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\owner>tracert

Usage: tracert [-d] [-h maximum_hops] [-j host-list] [-w timeout] target_name

Options:
        -d                Do not resolve addresses to hostnames.
        -h maximum_hops    Maximum number of hops to search for target.
        -j host-list      Loose source route along host-list.
        -w timeout        Wait timeout milliseconds for each reply.

>C:\Documents and Settings\owner>tracert freeport.everquest2.com

Tracing route to lvseq2-09-01.everquest2.com [69.174.200.90]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
      2    5 ms    5 ms    6 ms 
      3    13 ms    5 ms    4 ms 
      4    7 ms    7 ms    7 ms 
      5    6 ms    6 ms    6 ms
      6    15 ms    6 ms    6 ms 
      7    6 ms    14 ms    6 ms  ve5.fr3.yyz.llnw.net [69.28.171.141]
      8    71 ms    61 ms    63 ms  tge3-1.fr3.yvr2.llnw.net [68.142.125.22]
      9    65 ms    75 ms    69 ms  tge4-8.fr4.sea2.llnw.net [68.142.80.253]
    10    92 ms  100 ms    99 ms  tge2-4.fr4.las.llnw.net [69.28.172.97]
    11    91 ms    91 ms    95 ms  tge1-1.fr3.las.llnw.net [69.28.172.17]
    12    91 ms    91 ms    91 ms  switch.ge3-1.fr3.las.llnw.net [208.111.176.2]
    13    92 ms    91 ms    91 ms  cust-199.189.116.246.sinap-tix.com [199.189.116.
    246]
    14    92 ms    92 ms    92 ms  sony.demarc3.sinap-tix.com [64.79.157.78]
    15    91 ms    91 ms    92 ms  vl3105.lvssw-1.sonyonline.net [64.37.168.30]
    16    92 ms    92 ms    92 ms  lvseq2-09-01.everquest2.com [69.174.200.90]

20. Tensor New Member

Hi Uwkete, sorry to hear this is still giving you trouble.
    Did you restart the game using the EverQuest2.exe shortcut or did you use the LaunchPad?
    If you start the game through the LaunchPad it will automatically download the Awesomium.exe file and restart it.
    As for you not seeing it updating, that is odd. I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up, but it is quite small at under 1MB, so is it possible you looked away for a moment and it had already downloaded itself again?

At any rate, the bypass solution will always be an inconvenience.

The Awesomium software is used in basically ALL current MMO's that support in game cash shops/browsers and those game communites are reporting similar problems with multiple istances in the task manager.
    So, since the mutiple instances of Awesomium.exe is not a problem isolated to EQ2, it is possible it's intended by design...or it's just a bug that is inherent in the Awesomium software platform that has existed for more than 3 years now...that's possible too ;)

Others experiencing the same issue:
    Guild Wars 2 Thread
    DDO Thread
    Anarchy Online Thread
    Allods Online

Turbine Official Explanation
    Leeroy and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.