Awesome Bonus Items for Purchasing Altar of Malice!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Afista_DG, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I'm not too flummoxed by the price. Collector's editions are always a way to get money from the fans, this is no different. The gouging over putting a new race in the cash shop (and an ugly race at that) is worse, imo. For me the problems are more to do with finding nothing in this expansion appealing. The last few expansions, and the game as a whole, have been getting progressively worse in my opinion and this one doesn't look to be a changing that trend. I've bought my share of collector's editions for EQ2, sometimes for more than one account. I'm not opposed to spending money on entertainment I enjoy. The thing is, I'm not so sure I enjoy what EQ2 is these days. I'm not trying to consider if I want to buy the collector's edition, but if I want to pay for this expansion and keep supporting the game at all.
  2. Sasha New Member

I used to have no extra money to pay for the CE editions, so I always bought the Standard. Then, when they started adding the houses to the CE, I just had to have them! To me they were worth the extra cost!
    I remember when the ToV goodies were announced, there was no house in the CE initially, so I went ahead and pre-ordered the standard version. Then, once they added the house, I immediately cancelled the pre-order and changed over to CE. I am very disappointed that there is no house with this expansion's extra goodies. I have been debating whether or not I want to actually pay the extra money for the CE without a house, and I haven't decided yet. I'm leaning towards not.
    This is just disappointing.
  3. Knight Member

woo hoo...a big whopping 9.00 discount...oh JOY!! so your saying that with the discount its still cheaper? hmmm, 80.00 -vs- 69.00--dont seem cheaper to me.....still dont beat the 69.00 its SUPPOSED to be at
  4. Streppoch Member

I have bought every CE since I began playing in 2006. I will not be buying this CE because I do not feel that it's worth $90.00.

That is not a "whine", that is a straightforward statement, both objective and subjective.
  5. Griff Well-Known Member

Having played the Everquest Franchise for almost 14 years now it still comes down to this game rapidly becoming a high entry cost for new players. Almost every avid gamer at some point attempts to convince friends and family members to join them. Good for the game, great for having real life company joining with you, a win/win.

While FTP is great for strangers trying out the game, you want those joining you to enjoy the game that you are enjoying to the fullest, so you talk them into a subscription plan, not a bad deal, less restrictions, good to almost go. $15.00 or less.

I'm going to want the content anyway, might as well buy the latest expansion just like I would in any other game. $40.00

That's a really neat character you are playing, what is it? Well, it's a Free Blood! Might as well unlock that and start out as one instead of paying later to change over to one. No problem. $20.00

While you're at it, you might want some of those features in the AoD pack, cheaper if you buy the whole bundle and not piece meal it as you go along: $40.00

Those 500 points you got as a new subscriber? You will find that they are gone rather quickly while picking up a few perks here and there like unlocking those Mercenaries. Might as well drop $15.00 on a game card for SC points. Remember, you still don't have all the classes or game mechanic features yet!

Now if you been playing a while and feeling like you have definitely gotten your monies worth out of the enjoyment you received already, not to mention adding to the game as you went along slowly spreading out those payments, it seems more than reasonable. If on the other hand you are returning to the game after a long hiatus, or coming in as a new player that wants an unrestricted game, it seems a bit steep.

You can argue all you like about not being *needed*; but obviously they are *needed* enough or the store would not be making money off them and the company would not be spending money on the development of the features. Having a friend join you with out the features is like inviting them to your house, but the guest room is actually the outside porch, no heat or electric, they have to use an outhouse, can't come into your living room, yet explaining that the real treat is simply being with you.
    Feldon, ShaggyBodom, Brennin and 2 others like this.
  6. Pantaro Member

Pretty much sums up my position. i'm new to the game and really like a lot of things in EQ2 that i never seen in other mmo's also the community here seems way more mature than in newer higher populated games. Was seriously considering buying my first expansion this year. i started to get turned off when i hear with the expansion comes a new race but its not really part of the expansion and doing research on some of the older expacs no house in this one. At this point the CE holds no value for me and they want 90 bucks!?!?!?!?

i have always prefered sub only games cause i want to enjoy and experience a complete product,I'm noticing a disturbing trend in my short time playing and it's that the nickel and diming knows no bounds.Huge turn off for a new player. For me if the new race and a prestige house was added than i would be open to spending 90 bucks on it,but as is not a chance ever.

too many other games sell CE's for less money and more substance.I really don't get the logic here the whole concept of a FTP game is to remove barriers for play to increase the player base and spending.Only message i'm seeing here is we are not ashamed to be greedy and what are we gonna try next to nickel and dime you.

I honestly feel like as long as i stay low level i really won't care. but if i ever get near max level to really enjoy the game I would have to spend ridiculous amounts of money,to have fun like everyone else.
    Feldon, Griff, Naramsin and 2 others like this.
  7. Grundge Active Member

First off, (/rant) this issue definitely deserves disscussing. SOE does listen to its customers (the change to the All Access perks for example) and we as a dedicated player base need to show them that there are those who are upset with their current decision making. Our feedback is important especially if we want the game to thrive and be successful. Just like in life, if you act like a sheep you are going to get trampled by everyone. You have to speak your voice if you want things to change and improve. (/rant off)

As far as I can recall, every expac has gone on sale after its original release...usually during the announcement of a newer expac. ToV for example went on sale when they announced AoM. Undoubtedly AoM will go on sale when the next expac arrives.

So a relatively new player like myself, who does not need to buy AoM (because I am not even done with DoV) can sit back and continue to enjoy the game and wait to buy the expansion when it goes on sale, maybe a year from now or whenever. But the dedicated veterans, who paid their dues before F2P, paid for each expac individually, who has experienced the game in its entirity and has been yearning for new content...you people what do you get...well you get the exclusive privilege to buy the expac at full price with no extra perks.

That if you ask me is one hell of a big FU from SOE to their most loyal customers. And that is something that definitely cannot and should not be ignored.
  8. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Not true. The most you really have to do is get the current expansion. It only gets to be expensive when you're talking about getting multiple accounts caught up or trying to really fast track a character to max.
    Dambae Shadowfury likes this.
  9. Blue_Rio New Member

You want me to pay that much for a CE edition, then I think you should put the new race in there as well instead of the cash shop !!!!!
    . Also, how about some stats on that merc and mount, are they really going to be worth it ?
    Times are hard on folks, the holidays are coming and you just jacked the CE price up, way over what any from the past cost.
    I am sorely disappointed in you.
    Dambae Shadowfury likes this.
  10. Pantaro Member

thx for the input.i'm a one account man and i'm in no rush to hit cap.I'm the more about the journey and the adventure type not the I must raid type.An being new means tons of content for me to devour before i even reach AoM zones.
  11. Sharann Well-Known Member

90$ for CE this year... What's it going to be next year, 100$?

Sadly I'll pass for the first time, since for that amount of money I'd have expected a house and an awesome one at that. :cool: I realize not everyone loves decorating, however that is still a big piece of the game so why not also satisfy those decorators in the process?

[IMG]
  12. Alawi New Member

A poster earlier talked about the economics of the business at SOE and how the price increase was justified. I won't argue with that, in some ways I agree with it.

However, I don't think the issue here is 90 dollars, I think many here would pay that amount if they got value for their money. In other words, we are negotiating here, all SOE needs to do is create a couple of extra Virtual items (at no cost to themselves) and include them in the Collector's Edition.

Here are some ideas:

1. A Premium Altar-based Home (since a large chunk of SOE players are decorators).
    2. An Extra Merc (we would have a choice of two Mercs: one Mystic (tank/healer hybrid) and one Cleric (as an example).
    3. The new player race.
    4. A special in-game title.

Isn't the whole point of this business is to get people to choose the Collector's Edition over Standard? Then make Collector's Edition a much more attractive proposition by including one or more of the above solutions.

I like the and respect the EQ2 team, I think they're in touch with the player base and will do the right thing eventually.
  13. Xirena Member

Exactly. What I'm seeing is that people want to feel like they're getting something for their money.

The more I look at the CE, the more I realize that there's really nothing there that I want. The tower thing is neat-looking, but only in an "I'll save up my 500 SC/month and buy it later" kind of way (and if it's not offered, oh well). I don't do endgame adventuring. The only reason I even want the expansion at all is for the tradeskill level cap increase. So the merc, the mount, the pet (dinosaurs: yawn), the research potions, the gems....none of them mean anything to me. At least I can hang the paintings in my houses.

I really wanted to get a CE for the first time, but even if it were at a pre-order price, it's just not appealing, and I'm seeing that a lot in this thread. It's like they designed the CE for only a segment of the population.

Heck, make a CE version 2, throw in an awesome house, the new race, the tower & paintings from the current offering, and maybe a gorgeous cloak (I display them on mannequins when not wearing), and you'll have my $81, with a happy smile at checkout.

I want to buy a collector's edition. I want to pay you money, SOE, just give me a good reason!
  14. Naramsin Well-Known Member

I know this a bit off-topic, but that is a cute panda.
  15. Afista_DG Well-Known Member

There should not be a time limit on upgrading your Expansion. It will appear just as it does on the ToV expansion page and list the option to "upgrade" any Standard Edition package.

If a player purchases the Standard Edition now for the $39.99 (-$3.99 for All-Access membership resulting in a $36 cost, which is less than the cost of previous years expansions), they can upgrade to the Collector's Edition at a later time if they choose to do so. The -10% discount would also apply to any future upgrade. Discounts don't reflect in the total until check-out.
    Deveryn likes this.
  16. Ashy Member

I like to have a few rare items that not many other players have, so long as they aren't giving me or anyone else any unfair advantage in the game.

Example:
    I love the Firiona Vie Statue and I'm envious of those lucky enough to have it but it was claimed from the 2009 Fan Faire which took place before I came to the game in December 2011. I don't have any hard feelings about that. Long time loyal members & players of this game should have their entitlements and if I choose to stick around a while, maybe in time I'll eventually acquire a few equally cool items of my own. That's all part of the fun and charm in this game.

What's most important right now is that we resolve the issues that greatly effect the success and outcome of this recent expansion. Those of us who love this game want this expansion to go well for a vast amount of reasons. There has to be some middle ground that benefits all and I have a great deal of faith in our EQ2 staff to do all they can to make that happen.
  17. Ayumi New Member

I have toured the house on beta that is called Isle of Refuge and its not the same as the Queen's Colony zone. the house on beta is missing a big chunk from the original zone(thats why I said what I said).
  18. Loredena Active Member

I think that they closed off some of it, probably due to size limitations, but it pretty much matches my memory. Certainly all the high points! The beach and boats, the tower, the banker and forge area, the fort and graveyard, even the wooded area with the treant and spider sections. They did close the second path through that circles the woods, I noticed that.
  19. Xile Member

My understanding was there is going to be an Isle of Refuge prestige home vet reward.
    This teleport though... I dont think it takes you to the Prestige Home.
    Sounds like more an L95 Altar of Malice Isle of Refuge adventure zone.
    Am I understanding that correctly?

I must be... all prestige homes come with house placeable teleport devices.
    Maybe this AoM Isle of Refuge is a real PITA to get to, like Skyshrine?

I'm not paying no $90 though.
    I already don't buy CE's since you stopped including the cool collector's coins.
    Though I do like that mount (dont really care about stats).
    But make no mistake, I would only have one character use it.
    I'll bet most folks do the same... each character on the account uses different appearance items.
    I'll pay $60 for that because I will pay $40 for the xpac and possibly $20 more if a Pteradon mount is in the Marketplace.
    So obviously I'm not going to pay no $70, $80 or $90.

Up to you, SOE.
    It's not some sort of pedantic threat.
    These expenses have to be justified and nobody pays $90 for a 10yr old game xpac when said game is about to be usurped.
  20. Yarnila New Member

All i can say is.....

Weak Deal for a 10 YEARs of EQ2

I would have expected more than this. Very pityful
    Naramsin and Pantaro like this.