Auto-mentoring - Contested Bosses

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-timetravelling, Jul 2, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

Gungo wrote:
    Auto mentoring + 48 hour respawn of those mobs = I will have every single T5 contested mob on my server locked down tight.
    Its a bad idea.
  2. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

Gungo wrote:
    If all HQ mobs are always up when a person doing that quest wants them, this is what players will expect for the entire game. It means any future content that is added to the game will need to follow suit, and if it does not, there will be complaints about it to the point SoE will change it.
  3. ARCHIVED-Sedenten Guest

My own personal vendetta is against the named NPC's needed for the "Entrance into the Obelisk" quest in Obelisk of Lost Souls. I feel they simply need to have a higher chance of spawning. For as long as I can remember, these were a pain and now that more recent quests have higher level characters going here I only see these being more of an issue to find up. One in particular (noted below) was ALWAYS a long camp on all of my alts. Their names are as follows:
    Soul Harvester Kul
    Soul Harvester Na
    Soul Harvester Gron
    Soul Harvester Zej (this one seems to be the rarest)
    I honestly don't see what would be wrong with having them spawn as often as 75% of the time, but I know the point of Timetraveller's request was to pinpoint potential "bottlenecks" and adjust those in preparation for the automentoring. These could fit into the beforementioned lists as candidates.
    I also feel the other named required for quests past that point (once you get past the door) could use tweaking. But, I would only touch NPC's that are absolutely required for the questline to progress down to the bottom of the tower.
  4. ARCHIVED-Curs3 Guest

bloodtalon for the love of god i camped that named 3 hours a day for a week, still no bloodtalon.
  5. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

Noaani wrote:
    You can already easily lock down T5 mobs. If that's what you want to do with your time go ahead. If someone else cares that you have them "locked down" they will get a time of death and camp the mob and be ready for the next spawn. My guess is noone cares enough to bother camping t5 mobs, except maybe you apparently. Either way, reducing the respawn time isn't going to make it any easier for you to lock them up.
    What would most likely happen is someone sees a mob up, calls in freinds/guildies/pugs, kills it and goes on his way, and then the mob repops in a day or two for the next newb to see it while out questing.
  6. ARCHIVED-AndiD99 Guest

When focusing on the HQs - would there be time now to reduce the "underconnedness" of some KoS HQ mobs? (especially Bone Clasped Girdle, last guy)?
  7. ARCHIVED-Miranni Guest

Not really a boss but could you look at the Lost Soul/Graverobber respawn for the level 10 quest out of NFP (I think it's called Graverobber Spoils or something like that)? It's a silly newb quest but I've never completed it simply because I can't get the Graverobbers to spawn frequently - AND the update itself (iirc) was not automatic, so the one-two robbers I did get didn't give me the update. Just had to vent, had that quest in my journal so long it's become a mission lol :)
    I agree with the screaming mace quests - I hate that quest with a passion. And I love the idea of a porter to CT. EF might benefit from one when Halas comes out but as it is it doesn't seem as far to Permafrost as the other two do.
    Would it be possible to allow a quest update for the Teachings of Yoru for the sunfish casserole if you have one already made/on you? Or possibly put a kitchen in the village so we can craft it there? Just a thought anyways.
    I would look at any epic spawn timers for all of the overland zones, including DoF dragons ... They are just fun to kill if nothing else, the loot has never been anything special and you outgrow it so quickly anyways I don't see a huge problem with this.
  8. ARCHIVED-livejazz Guest

It's not a big deal, but ... there's a quest in Darklight Woods where you need to kill a named NPC over by the Tower Of Bone ("picking up the pieces", maybe? can't remember the title) but the mob itself only appears at certain times.
    Is there any chance this mob's spawn times could be increased, or something? It's really tedious camping a 19th level mob.
  9. ARCHIVED-Crismorn Guest

Noaani wrote:
    You would still make less plat than if you were to do solo quests
  10. ARCHIVED-Miranni Guest

Oh one other thing - the quest starter for the Staff of the Observers. I can't get this drop for the life of me. Can you make it easier (like crested MM shield) or just put it on a clickie or named or anything else other than slaughter until you get it? I've seen *one* drop ever, over many hours, and of course my groupmate won it.
  11. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Hughbot@Splitpaw wrote:
    Sokokar posts would alleviate this.

Rare contested?
    Agony, Agony, and hrm...Agony.
    Varsoon's three apprentices.
    Books of Life and Death should lose the PH since they are for an HQ. Any HQ quests should have the named PH's removed.
    The lAmbassador in Upper Sebilis in the audience chamber. I've seen him a total of once.
    The Harbinger and Avulsor in OoLS. They are a pain whereas the rest of the named on Floor 1 are too common.
    It's not contested, but look at the placeholder/respawns in The Vestibul... Camping a spawn in an instance defeats the point of an instance.
  12. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

Meaghan@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Even though it's slightly out of the scope of the thread, seconding the Vestibule and Billy in Nek Castle. Camping inside an instance is just pointless, especially with how little reward the Vestibule has these days. Nek Castle people just zone in and out, either way of doing it is mundane and slow.
    I believe there are relatively unvisited instances like Nek 2 and Nek 3 that had random chances for rare named in the instances that mostly still drop wood anyway. They might as well just always be up now so people can use them for AA because there's sure as hell no one running them for loot.
  13. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

Rahatmattata wrote:
    Currently its not that easy. If I wanted to lock down every T5 mob in the game, I would need a mentor bot, and I would need to either have a spotter camped at them all, or spend a lot of time moving between them all. All it takes is one other person on a server wanting to kill the mob, and the mob spawning at a bad time (which, for me, is about 22 hours of any given day).
    If the change that was suggested went in, I would be able to roll up as the mob spawns, with 100% accuracy, and have it killed in ~3 minutes, at which point I move on to the next mob.
    It would take little more effort than a simple trip between the seven zones that have T5 contested mobs, and the whole thing would take ~45 minutes from when I zone out of my guildhall to when I am calling back in after killing all 12 T5 contested mobs.
    Making the spawn time a bit shorter is debatably a good idea, but making it a solid 48 hours, as per the suggestion, is a bad idea.
  14. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Noaani wrote:
    What type of contrite bs response is this, now your making presumptions of the entire game based on quest updates while leveling. Guess what who cares if that is what they expect from heroic/solo content. It worked in Kunzar castle when they were revamping that zone 4 times trying to find the right balance and it would work fine in the rest of the game.
    Guess what your wrong this isn't opinion its fact. Making sweeping judgements such as what you just did has absolutely nothing to back up your claims. There is absolutely no good reason people should be forced to camp named continuously while leveling. Especially considering the pace of leveling in this game. The only camping that exsist at level 80 are contested raids, which few people in the game even touch. There is absolutely no quests/heroic/ or solo content in TSO that i had to wait more then a few minutes for a respawn or PH(which gives quest updates now). Solo npcs are no more then a 5 min repop. Heroic content is almost exclusively instance and the majoirty of raiding is instance (barring contested raids, which isnt required). So where is this change of perspective? There isn't any.
  15. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Noaani wrote:
    And your point? I was able to lock down all t5 contested in t5 with 12-24 other people I am sure I can maange to do it at 80 with the same timers w 4 people. ironically the t5 contested were in such high demand for these imaginary campers of yours that the day ROK came out my entire guild tromped through every single t5 contested for AA. Ya they were all up. You know why? No one freaking camps them. Imho the t5 contested should all be revamped to easy x2 named with appropraite loot for thier level and moved to a 42 hour +/- 6 hour timer. Thats not bound to happen anytime soon though. As i said before now you are just arguing to argue.
  16. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

48 hours for rare, not quest related contested epics isn't too bad. Just add in a variability to the spawn of +/- 12 hours (meaning it could respawn in anywhere from 36 to 60 hours) and it would be difficult for anyone to 'lock down' since it could spawn anywhere in a 24-hour window. That's assuming people would want to lock these down anyway... they just don't have a huge amount of value beyond AA for killing it once.
    In an unrelated note, when this goes in, it would be nice to see more trophies off some of the older content, or perhaps just a nifty house item reward as part of the achievements system (ie clear all DoF raid bosses, get a nifty, unique, desert-related house item).
    </sidetrack>
  17. ARCHIVED-Crismorn Guest

Lock down? el oh el
    You could make them spawn every 2 hours for all I care.

There is no possible way anyone could make enough plat from fabled/legendary lvl 20-60 gear that it would be better than doing repeatable quests or running shard quests for plat.
  18. ARCHIVED-Kordran Guest

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Koturah in SoS, as part of the Claymore quest line. Its placeholder does not update the quest (dropping the gold key), and the bloody thing just will not seem to spawn. Add a 20 min respawn timer on the PH, and it's rather tedious.
  19. ARCHIVED-Calain80 Guest

As someone mentioned him on the German boards and I don't remember, that he was already posted: "Sentry Goorlux" for "The Rescue of the Green Hoods" heritage quest.
  20. ARCHIVED-Ellenroh_001 Guest

Someone already mentioned, but I'll mention again for emphasis.... the starter for The Staff of the Observers.
    For me this one is the worst. I've killed many many many hours hunting kobolds trying to get one to drop while another time a guildie popped into the area and got one after just a few minutes. I thought maybe the drop rate had been tweaked so I went back and spent two hours and nada.