ATTN Red Names: Time To Seriously Update This Board

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by ARCHIVED-Meriel, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-PsiaMeese Guest

Michayla@Najena wrote:
    Michayla, I'm sorry to read that you're having such a time locating solid roleplay resources for the respective server communities. While you're adamant for a Red Name to take initiative, traditionally speaking, SOE has never taken that kind of initiative for organizing our in-game community resources. I'm not defending the choice. Merely explaining what I understand that particular lay of the land to be. The overall EQ2 community is now going on eight years old. So I'm not expecting this matter to change.
    Frankly, the only reason you read AB dominated sticky threads was that when server community subforums were done away with (back in 2010) by SOE, it was the Antonia Bayle subforum who had such sticky threads at all. The other subforums didn't have stickies for roleplay postings. I don't know why not? They just didn't. So none were carried to the consolidated Roleplaying subforum.
    However, it should be pointed out that while some community efforts are off site, efforts have been made over the years to be inclusive - not exclusive. Exclusivity is subject to interpretation.
    Town Square is a case in point. It was organized specifically to offer cross-server resources. For reasons I don't pretend to fathom, Antonia Bayle's community dominates the site entries. IMO, this isn't the fault of Town Squares Magistrates or even the fault of the AB community. The Magistrates there have always been open to input from the other servers. But they gotta have the input, ya know?
    It has to be frustrating, I'm sure, for those player's who do make themselves available to organize such information. Yet those efforts sometimes go ignored by virtue of not being a Red Name. My sincere suggestion is that anyone who is serious about standing up for their respective roleplay communities, speak up over here? Yes, it's off-site. But why let those efforts go completely to waste? While you're at it, consider constructive input to improve it? They really don't mind.
    'Hi! I'm from [insert server community]. Can I lend a hand? Maybe I could help you to maintain the community in some way?'
    or
    'Hey, I see things are slow here. What can I do to help invigorate this community?'
    Now that the overall server network is Free-to-Play and additional server mergers seem (mostly) complete, perhaps now is the time for each roleplay community to take stock?
    * Edited for links
  2. ARCHIVED-Arbreth Guest

We have Guides across all the servers that are required to understand the lore and to RP, part of the process to becoming a Guide is to IC'ly present yourself in story form in the application. We are provided with housing that is customizable (i.e. we can decorate it). We have open areas to congregate in with various themes (the loss of the Blood Haze aside). We have an extremely supportive development staff that is willing to work with us on our Player created events across all servers.

This is much more than is offered in many other games.

RP cannot be handed to you, as a player it is up to us to take the tools provided, including our own imaginations and create the RP, inviting others to play along. No, not everyone will want to, or understand how, or will want to open their specific type of RP to outsiders. Some RP does not loan itself to strangers, it requires a certain amount of trust. Other RP is a simple as meeting on the 'street' and chatting (the 'supermarket line effect' - yes, the phenomenom has a name), even non-RP'ers will often respond to this low key approach if the starter is not over the top to begin with.

What type of RP is the OP looking for? It matters, alot. Where were they looking? Are they flagged? Though I know plenty of 'blues' that do RP, they are simply not hiding their location/stats within the game specs for other reasons. Is their character outlandish? Many RP'ers will steer away from extreme characters, there are exceptions, but most of those have other more 'normal' toons to establish a secure a level of comfort in the RP communnity that one is not a complete nut case.

Off site forums are a great way to reach out to other RP'ers, Towne Square and Raven-Mythic being two of the best examples, AB centric or not, reading through either, or both, will greatly help a fledgling RP'er. SOE does provide an RP forum, use it, if you write it, others will read it and hopefully respond with the proper respect. Overall, even on servers other than AB, I have found RP'ers to be a generally open and welcoming set of people.
  3. ARCHIVED-Viany Guest

Make a new, updated thread. Send link to any thread you feel should be unstickied to a forum moderator in a pm. You can also send links of threads you feel should be stickied to said moderators. That's how we get changes in the class forums and certain other forums on these boards. Take the initiative to make these boards work to your best advantage.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kohast_Fel Guest

I agree , I tryed to find RP info on this forum and most of the links for RP groups on AB are for forums that have fossilzed and have not seen a post in years.
    Is there still an active RP community on AB?
  5. ARCHIVED-PsiaMeese Guest

Kohast_Fel wrote:
    AB is continues to be robust with roleplay opportunities. Not all the above stickies are completely out of touch. Did you read the interest check thread regarding the Faydwer Faire? I'm ready to spearhead specific updates for AB's broader resources. But I can't speak for other server communities. I will leave that up to them.
    I pm'd Isulith with regard to how she wishes to proceed here. Now that the holidays have passed, I was waiting to hear back from her. This requires patience as player's and SOE staff settle back into regular patterns.
  6. ARCHIVED-Banedon_Toran Guest

Psia@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Well said, and for the record I found the Magistrates on Town Square extremely helpful and friendly when wanting to advertise Elements guild on Freeport server, they went to the trouble of creating a page for Freeport RP guilds even though few such guilds were putting themselves forward.
    The roleplay community is it's players, not the guides, not the moderators.
  7. ARCHIVED-PsiaMeese Guest

I never heard back from Isulith about this. I pm'd Grimgar, who had created the AB sticky thread. If Grimgar isn't interested in updating the post with our help, then I will start a new one for Antonia Bayle. Again, other server communities may wish to compile their own listings if they would like.