Ascension spell increases

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Bella222, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Bella222 Active Member

I don't yet understand all the ways we can upgrade a spell like Wildfire etc. How to get it from apprentice up to journeyman to master etc. And why must we have a master spell to scribe the grandmaster version when we are lucky enough to get one? I never see any for sale and the research takes so long for so many of them.

I see where I am always earning ascension experience but can't figure out where that goes or how I put it to good use. I have read everything on the wiki and on Zam but feel I must be missing some key information.

Help! where can I go for a good explanation?
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Conifur Well-Known Member

Experience has nothing to do with your spell version, just your level. Once you get level 15 in that Ascension you switch out to another, and so forth until you get both to 15 (soon to be 20). but you are also limited on the amount of level experience you can earn.

Not to be a smart butt, but there are three ways to upgrade your spell version:

1. A lot of time
    2. A lot money
    3. Or a lot of luck

You have to go in order. You can go to your Upgrade tab and start researching it; each tier of the spell takes more and more time. If you get lucky and get the spell pages to drop you can make it (or have it made) and then us it once you get the tier prior to it. Or you can just speed up the research using Station Cash. Or there is the hybrid of using all three. Or just buy a bunch of krono's, sell for platinum and buy the spells on the broker.

It really comes down to spending money or time.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Bella222 Active Member

Thank you Conifur! But, what good does experience do or go after my character reaches Level 110 and 350 AA? How many beginning ascension spells do I need? I can only use one form of ascension at a time. Is that all I can get then from adventuring is more ascension levels? I had hoped that I was missing something that would make that ascension experience more valuable.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You use Guided Ascension to level your overall Ascension levels. You get Guided Ascension scrolls daily from your Ascension trainer up through level 10. Beyond that, run the KA weekly missions to get Guided Ascension. As you level more toons through KA, I think I've heard that Ascension leveling goes faster, but I dunno yet. In PoP, as you do the sig line, you get Celestial Ascension scrolls that outright raise your Ascension by a full level immediately.

Once you have one toon through the KA sig line, you can have THAT toon purchase Tears of Ro in Nye'Caelonia. To get the coin for THAT, I had my first toon and the alt both running KA weeklies and daily solos, then the alt passed the coin from those to the main, who was able to purchase the Tears and put them in the shared bank.

As for improving the quality of your individual Ascension spells, they have vastly improved the drop rate from PoP missions for the illegible pages needed to craft Ascension spell upgrades. Adept upgrades seem to drop only very rarely, alas, but they're out there. The following tradeskill classes can craft Ascension spells:
    • Sage can craft Elementalist and Etherealist spells
    • Jeweler can craft Geomancer spells
    • Alchemist can craft Thaumaturgist spells
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Mellody Member

Once you get to level 15 in one, why do you have to switch to a different one? I really like the one I chose and would prefer to keep it instead of switching, would that hurt anything?
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you get all four to level 15, you get an achievement, "Greater Ascended", which boosts the effects of Tome of the Planes. People who have completed the PoP Tradeskill sig line have the recipe. Make it with two refined darkstones, then get that Greater Ascended achievement, and it becomes much more impressive.

You ultimately go back to using just the Ascension that you like.
    Soara2, Mellody and Breanna like this.
  7. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Since I couldn't care less about ascension, when I got my chosen one to 15, I haven't bothered with the others. My choice. Others may do as they wish and I hope they will be as happy with their decision as I am with mine.
    Soara2, ConcealFate, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

I don't worry about mine either, I very rarely use them at all. I do have 3 of my girls though that are at 15 on all 4 of theirs, because I don't care when one hits 15 I just swap to the next one until it hits 15, I don't think any of my spells are past the journeyman.
    Soara2, ConcealFate, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Menetel, are you using Tome of the Planes? If so, why wouldn't you want to increase its abilities? I guess it depends on what you're hunting whether you need the increased wonderfulness of the Tome or not.

I level the other Ascensions by running solos (or duos on my toons that can solo them). That gets the other Ascensions leveled, I switch back to my preferred Ascension when I group or raid, and soon I have that Greater Ascended Achievement. I am using all the dropped loot I get doing the solos/duos to smoosh for infusions pretty much, and I sell excess shinies, so I'm not just running these instances for the Ascension levels.
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Yeah, you don't need to increase the spell quality of the Ascensions, just get to Ascension Level 15 on all four Ascensions to get the Achievement.
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  11. Meneltel Well-Known Member

This thing? http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Tome_of_the_Planes As for what I am hunting, its something called "fun". You know, the thing that EQNext didn't have, why it was cancelled. Fun is playing my class, even though I play it as a platemail-wearing warlock, its still my class. Ascension is something else. Its NOT what I leveled as part of my class in my career in Norrath. Power is nice, don't get me wrong... but i want power as a SK, not as something else. But that is MY opinion.
    Soara2, ConcealFate, Curby and 5 others like this.
  12. Rupe Member

Too much of a pain in the ascension for me. Seems that someone has ignored the KISS methodology.
    Soara2 and Rhodris like this.
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

The first two paragraphs of that post are no longer accurate. You gain ascension levels by gaining experience, just like normal levels. Also, the Days of Summer panda has baubles that boost you up very quickly.
    Soara2, ConcealFate and Breanna like this.
  14. Rupe Member

Thanks for your reply, but still I am not a big fan of all these ascensions. I am however, trying to accept that there always needs to be change regardless of how much I like or dislike the change. happy gaming to all.
    Soara2 likes this.
  15. Mermut Well-Known Member

Holy thread necro, Batman!
    Soara2 and Dude like this.
  16. Rupe Member

In my opinion, a thread is not dead just because it is a year old. As long as the tread sparks interests and is relevant to the game then what's the problem? If you don't have something positive to add, then why post? If you do not find a tread useful then though not useful to you, others still may benefit from it. Happy gaming.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.