Ascension for necro help please

Discussion in 'Mages' started by zerk987, Sep 24, 2019.

1. zerk987 New Member

ok so went with necro. knocking off the dust on her and kinda over whelmed with the ascension choice for necro. any suggestions ? I have been reading the forums and I see a few post for Conj , wizard choices but none on necro. thanks in advance for any and all replies/help .
    oh and just wanted to say thanks to all of the players that still keep the forums active. I know people say there isn't much here but I do appreciate the post active players make to help returning players like me
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Melt Actually plays the game

Thaum
    Soara2 and Beee like this.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I think the reason you don't see any posts on Necro ascension choices is, and don't take this the wrong way, most consider the choice obvious--it's thaumaturge. Most players will choose an ascension that aligns with the class and the type of damage it causes. Since necros are disease focused, thaumaturge is a logical choice. As you get familiar with those ascension spells, it will become clearer. That's also why a lot of conjy's go with elementalist, etc. Sometimes there are different possibilities for a class, but usually one stands out as a strong choice.
  4. Morphius Member

Sometimes the most obvious isn't always the best. In fact, Thaums and Elems are basically useless if you want to be competitive dps wise. At least Geos get some useful buffs.
    Etherealist is best matched with Scouts, thus being matched up with Assassins it is the best for dps as Assassins get the best of everything when it comes to dps.
    If you are looking for good dps, Etherealist is hands down the choice.
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Stop with recommending Thaum... ugh.

The days of matching up your debuff type to the type of ascension you run - was never a thing. Why, you might ask? Because if you count in totality the number of debuffs (and their measly amounts) - it won't make a hill of beans (dps) to choose Thaum (or w/e) to "match" your character. Because [maths] percent debuff plus the weak outgoing damage of something like Septic Strike can't hold a candle to the amount of ...say Cascading Force or Levinbolt because [math].

The return on investment for raw dps will fall squarely on Etherealist and Elementalist - the others falling way behind. I mean, if you wanted to Roleplay your Necro and whatnot, then by all means use Thaum.

The ONLY reason to have Thaum as a potential ascension is if your raid force is so finely tuned up - that in order to maintain Ascension surges, you've been instructed to run thaum by your raid leader.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

My warlock is an Etherealist for the same reason my Conjuror is... best DPS. Even though a 'lock has a ton of nox damage, each of the Ascension "forms" (like Etherlord) change your damage type anyway. I tried Elementalist for my Conjuror (because d'oh, elemental damage is a conj thing), it just didn't result in the DPS that Ethereialist does.

My sister, who plays a Mystic, like Thaumaturge because she feels it meshes best with her spells, and because she's not primarily there for DPS in the first place. I actually see a lot of healers with Bloat Fly, which means they're Thaumaturges.

I'd suggest that you get out ACT and compare.
    Soara2, Zeddicious and Breanna like this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Do we even know if Ascension surges are still worthwhile doing? Just how much damage do they add? Do we know? I've been wondering.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  8. Twisty Well-Known Member

Yea, you should safely ignore this "sage" advice. Since you're new to ascensions, the right answer is the one of the 3 non-Geo that you'll be able to max the easiest/fastest, which will depend in part on whats available on your server's broker. We had some banter on this recently here - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/dps-for-returning-dummies.590673/

The 3 ascensions at max are close enough to each other and shine depending on circumstances

Thaum for necro - is (rather was) cool if you wanted to do hard solo content, because all your spells will heal you due to Lich. But thats it. No inherent necro-centric dps benefits to speak of

Elementalist is the highest dps of the 3 on long single target fights

Etherialist is probably strongest for for heroic content even though necros are comparatively probably the class that benefits the least from Etherialist of all other classes, possibly sharing last spot with conjies