||||||||||| as a player name?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wurm, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Wurm Well-Known Member

How is that even possible? I'd think the filter would have stopped it.
  2. claudia6913 Active Member

Why? It's not offensive, it's not copy-writed ... It's a capital i followed by lower case L's. Maybe they don't want people to invite them to groups ... or whatever. Pretty good way to get people to leave you alone.
    suka likes this.
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Used to play Shadowbane LONG ago. To teleport someone to your group, you had to type their name out. If you got it wrong, the spell failed, was used so you had to wait for the cooldown (30 seconds or more, I think. Could have 3 or 5 minutes, either way it was annoying if you were waiting for the summons, and only a few classes could do it. My cousin's view was that if he couldn't even pronounce the name, he wouldn't be able to spell it correctly and so wouldn't accept any requests for summons. Told them to ask someone else, he wasn't wasting his time on a fizzled cooldown. Needless to say, he wouldn't get a summons from my cousin, ever.
  4. Avithax Well-Known Member

I think his Guild name should be "Bar Code" or "UPC". Actually he seems like a pretty cool dude from what i've seen in chat.
    suka, claudia6913 and Prissetta like this.
  5. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

Used to see a character named Brrrrr or sommat like that. Ended up counting the R's at one point, but I can't remember how many there were.
    I've seen Illlllll around as well, and I know people have called him "Barcode" before.
    claudia6913 likes this.
  6. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

People with repeated letters in their names are really silly...
  7. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

Letters aren't allowed?
    suka likes this.
  8. claudia6913 Active Member

Okay, but they are letters and not numbers or special characters.

I just don't see the issue here, I guess. There are more than enough characters running around with "actual" names that are far more annoying/offensive/stupid than Illllllll. I also would think that if SOE/DBG truly had issue with something like that, they would've put it into the name filters long ago - goodness knows if you even come close to spelling anything listed in the filter it erases part or all of the name before you can finish spelling it. Ivanushka being one I've tried, and failed, to create.
    suka likes this.
  9. Grundlestixittoya Member

someone is not using a proper name?I feel like they should be banned because they aren't doing things the way i want them done and are doing something they want and their fun is ruining my gamplay wait nvm I just remembered im not this guy
    suka likes this.
  10. Grundlestixittoya Member

Seriously though why care if someone makes their name difficult to type out. It would only annoy me if I had to type it out to send a invite or a tell or whatever and if its that much a hassle i wouldnt bother I would just move on. If things like this bother people this much maybe the internet isnt a safe place for them to hang out.
    suka likes this.
  11. Wurm Well-Known Member

So asking a question about something is automatically disapproving of it? You must be one of those really rare people who can read minds over the internet...
    suka and Neiloch like this.
  12. Meneltel Well-Known Member

On a RP server, I would report that name so fast that the dust would not settle for days. On a regular server, I don't care if your name is Satansheart Soulcrusher. I just glance and move on.
    suka and claudia6913 like this.
  13. suka Well-Known Member

it is possible. no, the filters don't stop them. i have seen a lot of names that make little sense. usually way longer. i figure they are someone who chooses to not group or something for a reason. like this may be their mule. or maybe they simply want to enjoy the game without much contact. if they want contact, they usually will initiate it. personally, i wouldn't attempt to type it out simply because i would probably misspell it but i will answer them if they initiate contact because i can hit r.
  14. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Why and who cares?
    If typing the name is painful you can always click on their name in chat, select tell and edit the /tell with /inv :p
    I have to do that all the time because my typing skills are terri-bad
    suka likes this.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

i don't think he cares- nor do i think he is criticizing. he is just amazed and is probably wondering what he can do that he never thought of
  16. suka Well-Known Member

hmm- now that sounds like a fun name

hehe satansheart didn't work- wasn't allowed- but satynheart did. thanks for the suggestion
  17. Meneltel Well-Known Member

One of the aliases of Lord Foul from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Thomas_Covenant

Always thought that was a dark name but never make a toon starting out that evil to take that name.
    suka likes this.
  18. suka Well-Known Member

thanks- i hadn't read those. will have to get the book. i like the name - but satynheart is close. of course i should have named him saytansheart- might do that on another one. i have a number of slots. thought it great for an sk.
  19. Adevil Well-Known Member

That was a popular book series, but I never did get past the first couple of chapters of the first book. Turned me off that author completely.
  20. Veta Well-Known Member

I think those letters are instead inserted when you try to name yourself Lord Volde... I mean, he who shall not be named.
    Ceyllynn likes this.