Armor Dyes, where are they??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Poisonhawk, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Poisonhawk Active Member

I would love to see armor dyes in this game. Is there a reason we don't get them in this game? Most games have them either attached to achievements or in crafting. Could this be something we could see in the future?
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Devs have stated in the past that it's not doable in EQ2 because of the way textures and colors on armor work. I don't remember the specifics, but the long and short was 'not possible' given the current architecture.
  3. Xaeyla New Member

The appearance gear tab we have is far superior to dyes imo. If we need anything its to remove class restrictions on items in the appearance tab,
    Laiina, Finora and Feldon like this.
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

Mermut is right and I can say from working with EQ2 Textures myself (looking at and Authoring my own) that Armor Dyes would not work. The way Color Dyes work in games is a region of the Texture is given a "repaint" texture meaning the actual files look like they have "white space" sometimes or whatever color that house uses. When a Dye is applied the code takes the value of the "dye color" from the texture map and changes it to the Dyed Color that you just applied.

Basically it's a black and white map.
    White = Full Color Replacement
    Black = No Color Replacement
    Greyscale = Tinting Color Replacement.

Since EQ2 Armors have their Color painted into the Diffuse (Color) map in the Texture files. It is impossible to currently implement Armor Dyes without redoing EQ2's Texture system which would be rebuilding part of the game from the ground up.

Appearance Gear is one of my favorite things in games. The ability to have whatever armor I've acquired and can wear as my appearance let's me have total control (within reason) of what I look like. This is why I loved the Templating in Tera Rising... before they kinda removed it to re-implement it another way (they made it "sets" instead of individual pieces).

I would take a full Appearance Gear ability in a game over Dying Armor any day. I would die if I could get both.
    Mermut and Feldon like this.
  5. Ynnek Well-Known Member

To oversimply Estred's answer...

The rendering engine wasn't designed with dye-ability in mind.
    The art assets weren't designed with dye-ability in mind.

And that ain't changing, the devs have openly said 'oh hell no' more than once.
    Mozil and Feldon like this.
  6. Poisonhawk Active Member

Bummer, but thank you for replying.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

Much rather have the appearance function than a dye system.
    Laiina and Mermut like this.
  8. ZUES Well-Known Member

For the love of God I wish they would just remove that stupid "Lore" tag so I can have some matching weapons. Even handcrafted weapons are frickin lore this xpac.
    Finora, Estred and Feldon like this.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

There has been a serious over usage of the lore tag the past few expansions that's for sure.

I am still wishing that either they'd add a new item or make a side effect of the adornment dislodgers not only to make visible gear appearance gear, but to make it classless as well.
  10. Laiina Well-Known Member

Dyes were a bad idea in EQ1, and they are still a bad idea. But back then most armor was single texture/color, now it is much more complicated.

But as others noted, I would like to see: Lore Equip tag removed for Appearance slot.