Armor dyes in RoK

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-RoXxer, Apr 6, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-RoXxer Guest

[p][size="small"]PLEASE let us have armor dyes in the new expansion. The community are screaming for it! This is at the top of my wish list and I know I am not alone.[/size][/p][p][size="x-small"]Ok we have two things that keeps SOE from adding dyes, and they are[/size][/p][p]1. Afraid of people going all pink and such, thereby ruining other peoples immersion[/p][p]2. They say that pieces should be unique and people should recognize what it is and where it comes from without inspecting[/p][p] [/p][p][size="x-small"]Come on! These are the only two things that are stopping you??[/size] :hunf:[/p][p]1-- You can limit "shocking colors" if you want, Im sure most of us are fine with this. Also, some of us might even have a RP reason why they should have those colors (like bards)[/p][p]2-- Unique? Sure, make us more skins/models then. That is a better way of making things look unique. Also, most of us are fine with using inspect if we absolutly need to know what someone else are wearing[/p][p][size="x-small"]Here are a few of the things that would be positive about dyes[/size][/p][p]1. People get the looks they want (people got different styles and tastes, let us display who we are)[/p][p]2. Crafters get dyes to craft and sell (crafters are always hungry for new recipes and income sources)[/p][p]3. People can make camoflage on PvP server (no shining yellow clothes in a dark terrain anymore!!)[/p][p]4. We get more diversity and unique character looks (people can wear the same popular items, but still look unique)[/p][p]5. Guilds can have their own "uniform style"[/p][p]6. Match your cloak design[/p][p]7. We dont have to look like a christmas tree with all different sorts of colors on us[/p][p][size="x-small"]I spent about 5 mins thinking out these reasons, so naturally there are many more. Post your own reasons! I honestly think it's about time EQ2 get dyes, and I am sure this is the future of MMORPGs. People want a distinct look, and it shouldnt be that hard to give us this... [/size][/p][p][size="x-small"]Thanks for reading :wink:[/size][/p][p] [/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Themaginator Guest

listen, people don't seem to get this, if all goes well with the model revamp...we wont need armor dies, armor will look unique enough without dyes.
  3. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

4. ARCHIVED-RoXxer Guest

Sashtan@Mistmoore wrote:
    [p] I am fully aware of the model revamp. And what you are saying is that armor will be unique. That is fine and all, but still it only erases one, maybe two of my previous mentioned points. We will still look like a xmastree with a jungle of colors on us :([/p][p].[/p][p].[/p][p].[/p][p]Whomever said "No" in this topic, please explain your opinion, impossible to know if you said no to me, or the second poster.. And a "No" doesnt quite make me comfortable, give me reasons why crafters should not be able to dye their goods will you?[/p]
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

[p]To put it simply, if they added armor dyes, they'd have to design it to cover every last layer, every last polygon, every last individually colored pixel on the entire armor piece. As graphically designed as many armors are, it's not just so easy to just paint it a different color scheme.[/p][p] [/p][p]I dont object to tailors and armorers being able to make a pre-designed color selections that they choose while in the process of making it, but Armor dyes like they acted in EQlive are just out of the question.[/p]
  6. ARCHIVED-Jenarie Guest

Dyes were one of the worst ideas in EQ1 why bring it over to EQ2. :( Besides I hardly think "[size="small"]The community are screaming for it!" is quite accurate. I'd think it is more accurate to say that a section of the community wants it and another section thinks it would be a horribly bad idea. There was a thread about this earlier this week. The only reason I'm posting in this one is that I don't want it to LOOK like "the community" wants this just because the no side gets tired of the same conversation over and over. [/size]
  7. ARCHIVED-Hannalynn Guest

No armour dyes please. No no no no. Did I say no already? Take a hint from EQ1, where dyes were the bane of life. Please no.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cuz Guest

No they wouldn't. They could just have palette swaps.
  9. ARCHIVED-Ganger Guest

[p]I don't know why you can't have the rest of your armor the same colour as your Chest piece.[/p][p]If you chest is black with a yellow star, your legs/shoulders/gloves etc should also be black or have a option too choose.[/p][p]It looks silly these days that players are running around with green chest armor, brown pants and silver arms.[/p]
  10. ARCHIVED-Mirander_1 Guest

Some of the older armor skins are apparently difficult to alter the colors on. For instance, that purple and gold robe; have you ever seen them try and make that any color other than purple and gold? It looks terrible. It simply seems to have been designed to be only purple and gold.
  11. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Personally, I'm just glad that Monks get the awesome bonus of having a Gi model the entire armor design, so none of the other armor shows up.
  12. ARCHIVED-RoXxer Guest

I see that dyes from EQ1 was mentioned. I did only play EQ1 for a month so I cant really tell from there,but I did play daoc for a while and it was a huge success there. Several of my friends from daoc ask my why there are no dyes in eq2 and I cant answer them well..
  13. ARCHIVED-EQscoob Guest

I for one would like armor dyes, I miss having like my tank in eq1 having blood red armor ( it was a female at the time) in copying the mord sith i think thats what they were called correct me if im wrong from the sword of truth book series by terry goodkind. I like to have fun wether it would be dying my armor a shiny high polish steel color, or some other color to meet an aestetically pleasing finish. Please include something like this.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Are the armors in DOAC part of the actual character models? Because in EQ2 they're individual items seperate from the character model itself. EQlive's dye system worked because all the textures just become the model itself. They're all pre-designed into the characters so you could dye your armor by idividual body parts.
  15. ARCHIVED-Josgar Guest

In DAOC it dyes armor. In EQL they are changing it so it dyes armor.
  16. ARCHIVED-Geothe Guest

[p]No armor dyes.[/p][p]However,[/p][p]I would like it if instead, they added a toggle option for armor displaying.[/p][p]It would work in basically the same way that brawler gi's work. When you equip the chest piece, it provides the graphic for all of your armor.[/p][p]Expanded beyond gis it would be like this:[/p][p]Equip your armor chest piece, and then in the persona window (along with show hood/helm/illusion etc) add a toggle for "set armor appearance after chest."[/p][p]If toggled on, legs/arms/helm etc would take on the same graphical design as the core chest piece. If toggled off, armor would keep its normal graphical design.[/p][p]This would allow people to not look like "mismatched" clowns with all their armor pieces looking entirely different while at the same time preventing pink-ogre-syndrome that tends to accompany armor dye incorporation.[/p]
  17. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Geothe wrote:
    That's a good idea, but that would require a LOT of work to change all armors in the game to match specific breastplates and stuff that do not have other armor pieces. The Breastplate of Fiery Might for example in Labs. They'd have to code it so the rest of the armor took on a burning orange color. That's a lot of work.
  18. ARCHIVED-Jackula Guest

Well, to keep the balance balanced I will chime in with my, "Yes, I would love armor dyes please." Some players are very much against it. I'm from the other camp of players that have been hoping for armor dyes for the last two years. Also, as a DAoC player of 4+ years before I switched to EQ2 I have to agree the armor/weapon dyes there worked exceedingly well. There was really only one guy I remember who was a walking color nightmare. I even offered to by Lazer some matching or co-ordinating dyes but he preferred to clash. It was his style choice. That clashing is unlike EQ2 color clashing where it most definitely is not by choice. Very few things actually match and co-ordinate. There are more fashion victims in Norrath now because there is no dye option. /dyes please +1
  19. ARCHIVED-StrafaeSwiftleaf Guest

look folks, you cant limit the color pallet without another "small group" whining and crying about it, and then before you know it I will see Baffamajojo Deeuberone tanking in pink again, granted good idea, but it will bring out the flamers,.. again.
  20. ARCHIVED-Saroun Guest

Dyes would be a great idea in my opinion. I played DAOC for quite a few years, and the dye system there worked perfectly. And just adding dye wouldn't suddenly 'break the immersion'. There are far more fashion rejects running around now without dyes than there ever would be if we could actually make our armor colors match.